First T... Curly hair

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
That's why I said can. Personally I've never had good experiences with them and I find it more like unnecessary effort for a negligible gain. In OPs case, a heat mat isn't necessary. It would be understandable if the temps were deadly low though.
I wouldn't really say its unnecessary effort for a negligible gain, I agree in the case the OP doesn't have to worry about heat at all but it can be a cost effective way of heating one/two enclosures rather than using something like a space heater to warm up the whole room.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Now that she is in her new cage I've been checking the temp in there with a temp gun and even though it's about 71 on the thermostat in the room the temp gun is saying that its closer to 66-68 and I think that is much to low. Unless you guys disagree. How should I go about making it a little bit warmer in there for her because the heat in the whole room isn't really doing the job?

Major017

Arachnopeon
Now that she is in her new cage I've been checking the temp in there with a temp gun and even though it's about 71 on the thermostat in the room the temp gun is saying that its closer to 66-68 and I think that is much to low. Unless you guys disagree. How should I go about making it a little bit warmer in there for her because the heat in the whole room isn't really doing the job?
Yes, that is a bit too low for comfort. I've heard placing a heat mat on the SIDE of the enclosure works, because it gives room for the T to get away of it gets really hot. Wait for someone more experienced to reply though.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
The safest ways are either to create a microclimate by setting up a heat pad within a larger container (like a larger tank, closet, or cabinet)and putting her enclosure in there, or getting a space heater for the room. You could also put a heat pad on the side of the tank, but that should really be avoided if possible, as it still can create a hotspot that your T may be drawn to that can cause dehydration issues and dry out the tank in general.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Yeah that's what I thought too thanks.. hopefully someone will get back soon cause now Im worried

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
The safest ways are either to create a microclimate by setting up a heat pad within a larger container (like a larger tank, closet, or cabinet)and putting her enclosure in there, or getting a space heater for the room. You could also put a heat pad on the side of the tank, but that should really be avoided if possible, as it still can create a hotspot that your T may be drawn to that can cause dehydration issues and dry out the tank in general.
Alright I am going to try and put her enclosure in the cabinet I have in my room.. Once in there should I still put the pad somewhat close to her enclosure or does that really matter as long as it's not directly on the cage and keeping the space warm?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Alright I am going to try and put her enclosure in the cabinet I have in my room.. Once in there should I still put the pad somewhat close to her enclosure or does that really matter as long as it's not directly on the cage and keeping the space warm?
The goal is really just to heat the space, so not directly on the cage.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Not necessarily true, Heat mats can be deadly if used in the wrong way but if used with a proper thermostat and not stuck to the underside of the enclosure or right next to a burrow they can be great for raising the temperature a little. In this case i would say there is no need to raise the temp 21c is perfectly fine. I think its always better to explain how things like this can be used properly and safely rather than telling people just not to use them.
How would I properly use a heat pad because I do need to raise the temp.

cold blood

Staff member
see the quote below

The safest ways are either to create a microclimate by setting up a heat pad within a larger container (like a larger tank, closet, or cabinet)and putting her enclosure in there
Heating a larger enclosure and placing your ts enclosures within that larger enclosure turns a potentially dangerous direct heat into a much safer secondary heat.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
see the quote below

Heating a larger enclosure and placing your ts enclosures within that larger enclosure turns a potentially dangerous direct heat into a much safer secondary heat.
That is what I am currently trying to do thank you.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
First of all you should never use a heat mat on its own you must use it with a thermostat, I personally use the microclimate mat stat. What this allows you to do is control the temperature the mat can reach. As others have said you can use it in various ways such as putting it within another enclosure but I personally find the best way is just to stick the mat to a wall or any surface then place the enclosure next to it but not quite touching. Like I said before try to avoid placing it at the same end as the Ts hide because they burrow to get away from heat. That's why it's also a very bad idea to place it below the enclosure not to mention it possibly overheating.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
First of all you should never use a heat mat on its own you must use it with a thermostat, I personally use the microclimate mat stat. What this allows you to do is control the temperature the mat can reach. As others have said you can use it in various ways such as putting it within another enclosure but I personally find the best way is just to stick the mat to a wall or any surface then place the enclosure next to it but not quite touching. Like I said before try to avoid placing it at the same end as the Ts hide because they burrow to get away from heat. That's why it's also a very bad idea to place it below the enclosure not to mention it possibly overheating.
Alright gonna have to get one of those.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Should I be changing her water daily? or as often as possible? I read that they needed clean water all the time I'm just not sure because I also read that opening her enclosure all the time can freak her out. Thanks.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Should I be changing her water daily? or as often as possible? I read that they needed clean water all the time I'm just not sure because I also read that opening her enclosure all the time can freak her out. Thanks.
As long as it’s not totally filthy you’re fine just topping it off every so often, no need to totally change it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
As long as it’s not totally filthy you’re fine just topping it off every so often, no need to totally change it.
Agreed, though I remove and clean the dish every other week to remove the slimy biofilm that accumulates over time. (It's probably harmless, but I like to keep the dished clean.)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That's basically the situation I have. Thermostat reads 70 to 71 but in the room that they are in is closer to 66 to 68 most of the time.

I don't bother doing anything though because I don't have any slings at the moment nor do I have any tropical species that need it significantly warmer.

Adult and sub adult Brachypelma spp , Grammoatola spp , etc.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Na, you're fine just topping up as needed, I only clean out dishes if they get crapped in/filled with substrate.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
That's basically the situation I have. Thermostat reads 70 to 71 but in the room that they are in is closer to 66 to 68 most of the time.

I don't bother doing anything though because I don't have any slings at the moment nor do I have any tropical species that need it significantly warmer.

Adult and sub adult Brachypelma spp , Grammoatola spp , etc.
And your t’s do fine in this temp?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
And your t’s do fine in this temp?
Yes.

But like I said I don't have any slings/babies or any tropical species at the moment. Both slings and tropicals would require higher temperatures.