First T... Curly hair

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Increasing ventilation or getting a water dish with less surface area are the simplest methods that spring immediately to mind.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
When my T eats she seems to wrap her prey in web. I read that I should be taking it out when she's done with it is that true?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
When my T eats she seems to wrap her prey in web. I read that I should be taking it out when she's done with it is that true?
There will be a little ball of remains (called a bolus), just pick those out as and when you find them, you don't have to tear up the enclosure looking for them or anything like that.

boina

Lady of the mites
Anyone have a good way to lower humidity a bit?
Why would you want to lower humidity? You substrate seems dry enough and B. albopilosum (Curly Hair) like a bit of moisture. Forget all the humidity numbers you've read - they are meaningless. What they need is dry or slightly moist substrate. Ambient humidity plays no role for your tarantula.

Just leave everything as it is and stop worrying ;)

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Why would you want to lower humidity? You substrate seems dry enough and B. albopilosum (Curly Hair) like a bit of moisture. Forget all the humidity numbers you've read - they are meaningless. What they need is dry or slightly moist substrate. Ambient humidity plays no role for your tarantula.

Just leave everything as it is and stop worrying ;)
Yeah I stopped worrying about it she seems fine thanks!

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
She doesn't use her hide at all, she spends more time sitting on top of it then going in it at all. I'm not mad about it because I get to see her all the time but should I be worried about this at all? Could it be that it isn't big enough for her or is it just that she probably doesn't feel like using it?

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
She doesn't use her hide at all, she spends more time sitting on top of it then going in it at all. I'm not mad about it because I get to see her all the time but should I be worried about this at all? Could it be that it isn't big enough for her or is it just that she probably doesn't feel like using it?
Just enjoy it lol.

As long as the hide is partially buried, the T will just excavate and enlarge it as needed.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
One more question lol sorry I must be getting annoying, but how often should I worry about actually cleaning her enclosure.

boina

Lady of the mites
One more question lol sorry I must be getting annoying, but how often should I worry about actually cleaning her enclosure.
Never :D. Just remove any uneaten food and you and your tarantula will be fine. Substrate doesn't get bad. If she poops a lot you can scoop that out, too, but that really is all you need to do.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Never :D. Just remove any uneaten food and you and your tarantula will be fine. Substrate doesn't get bad. If she poops a lot you can scoop that out, too, but that really is all you need to do.
Thank you!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
No, it's not a problem, my 4" female dug a burrow under her cork hide but sits out in the open 95% of the time, she might calmly walk into her burrow when disturbed but, other than that, she'll probably only use it when she's due for a moult.

Just pick out boluses and clean the water dish if it becomes soiled, there's no need to do substrate changes unless there's a major mould/pest problem, people on here have had their tarantulas on the same substrate for over a decade without issue, tarantulas don't make that much mess compared to other animals.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
In general for t’s are crickets or Dubai’s better for food?

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
I use coco fiber as my substrate.. is that fine or is there something better than can be used, because a lot of the photos i see on here the substrate looks darker

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I use coco fiber as my substrate.. is that fine or is there something better than can be used, because a lot of the photos i see on here the substrate looks darker
Pure coco fiber is fine unless you have a fossorial species (obligate burrower), as pure coco fiber won't support much of a burrow.

Other common substrates are plain topsoil (the cheap kind with no additives like pesticides or fertilizers) and peat moss. A small amount of vermiculite can be added to help maintain moisture if you have a species that needs it, but don't use pure vermiculite.

I am currently using mostly topsoil with small amounts of coco fiber and/or peat added to improve texture. (I also include a little bit of vermiculite if it's not an arid species.)

My burrower gets pure topsoil.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Pure coco fiber is fine unless you have a fossorial species (obligate burrower), as pure coco fiber won't support much of a burrow.

Other common substrates are plain topsoil (the cheap kind with no additives like pesticides or fertilizers) and peat moss. A small amount of vermiculite can be added to help maintain moisture if you have a species that needs it, but don't use pure vermiculite.

I am currently using mostly topsoil with small amounts of coco fiber and/or peat added to improve texture. (I also include a little bit of vermiculite if it's not an arid species.)

My burrower gets pure topsoil.
Okay so for my Avic sling coming and my b albo the coco fiber is okay?