First T... Curly hair

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Okay so for my Avic sling coming and my b albo the coco fiber is okay?
Yeah. The Avic will spend little or no time on the substrate, and Brachypelma albopilosum is not an obligate burrower, though slings may burrow a bit.

cold blood

Staff member
Okay so for my Avic sling coming and my b albo the coco fiber is okay?
Any of the acceptable substrates are fine for any species...its really a matter of personal preference.

coco fiber, eco earth, jungle mix, peat moss, top soil, etc.....or any combination of them.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I prefer a coco fiber/top soil (or other additive-free soil) mix for Ts that might like to burrow. My B. albo juvie has a fairly deep burrow, and I just think the whole thing is more sturdy with that kind of substrate. :)

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Cool thanks... Even though the Brachypelma albopilosum isn't normally a burrower will the sling be alright in pure coco fiber?

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Any of the acceptable substrates are fine for any species...its really a matter of personal preference.

coco fiber, eco earth, jungle mix, peat moss, top soil, etc.....or any combination of them.
Okay thank you

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Even though the Brachypelma albopilosum isn't normally a burrower will the sling be alright in pure coco fiber?
Yes, but if you're really worried, you can get a large bag of plain topsoil for about $5 to mix with coco fiber. (Just check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't include pesticides, fungicides, or fertilizers.)

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Yes, but if you're really worried, you can get a large bag of plain topsoil for about $5 to mix with coco fiber. (Just check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't include pesticides, fungicides, or fertilizers.)
Cool thanks

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use coco fiber as my substrate.. is that fine or is there something better than can be used, because a lot of the photos i see on here the substrate looks darker
Substrate choice is down to personal preference, some people swear by coco fibre whereas I can only use it as part of a mix with sedge peat or it moulds like crazy. Feel free to see what works best for you.

Acceptable substrates are:

- Coco fibre.
- Topsoil (The stuff for filling holes or lawn renewal, you literally want the cheapest stuff you can find, shouldn't cost more than $2 for a 40lb bag).
- Sphagnum peat moss (make sure it has no additives, is slightly acidic which inhibits mould growth, doesn't harm Ts though).
- Sedge peat (like sphagnum peat moss but black in colour and slightly less acidic).
- Fine vermiculite (not technically a substrate in itself, this is an additive that helps with water retention and substrate aeration, this is best used in a mix for moisture dependent burrowing species).

You can mix any of these together to achieve a desired look/effect.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Substrate choice is down to personal preference, some people swear by coco fibre whereas I can only use it as part of a mix with sedge peat or it moulds like crazy. Feel free to see what works best for you.

Acceptable substrates are:

- Coco fibre.
- Topsoil (The stuff for filling holes or lawn renewal, you literally want the cheapest stuff you can find, shouldn't cost more than $2 for a 40lb bag).
- Sphagnum peat moss (make sure it has no additives, is slightly acidic which inhibits mould growth, doesn't harm Ts though).
- Sedge peat (like sphagnum peat moss but black in colour and slightly less acidic).
- Fine vermiculite (not technically a substrate in itself, this is an additive that helps with water retention and substrate aeration, this is best used in a mix for moisture dependent burrowing species).

You can mix any of these together to achieve a desired look/effect.
Cool thanks

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Okay so just got and housed my curly hair sling and i fed him/her a little cricket last night I'm looking in the enclosure now and I do not see the cricket but the T looks like it has filled in the entrance to its hide. Should I open it up and see if the cricket is still in there with him/her or just leave it be cause it might be going into pre-molt??? Help!!!

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
If it sealed its self in with a cricket, its because the cricket is being consumed.

Do nothing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Pure coco fiber is fine unless you have a fossorial species (obligate burrower), as pure coco fiber won't support much of a burrow.
Eh :)

This is the main entrance of a pure coco fiber (with only just a two good 'tea spoon' of fine grain vermiculite - but that's addictive for moisture only) burrow, and it's pretty long and solid :pompous:

Ephebopus murinus burrow.jpg

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
If it sealed its self in with a cricket, its because the cricket is being consumed.

Do nothing.
Okay thats kinda what i expected, was just a bit worried. I was gonna try and feed him/her again tomorrow or monday. Should I feed either a live or dead? Or should I wait because it sealed itself in? Thanks.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Okay thats kinda what i expected, was just a bit worried. I was gonna try and feed him/her again tomorrow or monday. Should I feed either a live or dead? Or should I wait because it sealed itself in? Thanks.
Wait until it's not sealed in.

If it's taking live prey, I would continue to offer live prey. (Just be sure to crush the heads of mealworms and superworms to prevent them from burrowing or biting your tarantula.)

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Wait until it's not sealed in.

If it's taking live prey, I would continue to offer live prey. (Just be sure to crush the heads of mealworms and superworms to prevent them from burrowing or biting your tarantula.)
Sorry just a bit confused by this, your saying wait until the t comes out again to try and feed it and once I do feed it again feed it live prey?

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Also I was thinking about rehousing the curly hair sling into something a bit smaller than what she's in because I think it is to big... should I just do it or wait just in case she has already gone into pre-molt.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Also I was thinking about rehousing the curly hair sling into something a bit smaller than what she's in because I think it is to big... should I just do it or wait just in case she has already gone into pre-molt.
If your T is still in the last container you showed us, I wouldn't rehouse her. IME that size is fine. Or did you get another one? :confused: Because your B. albo is definitely not a sling anymore. ;)

You said she sealed herself in, yes? Then just leave her be! :) Make sure the water dish is always full, keep a part/corner of the enclosure slightly moist... and that's it! You need to be patient. I had to learn that myself. My B. albo burried itself away right after I got it, and stayed there for 2 months. Now (s)he is out all the time and exploring its enclosure and eating like a champ.

Honestly, get yourself a couple more Ts to distract yourself from worrying too much. ;)