Cyriopagopus. sp caresheet

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Lampropelma violaceopes that Abraham described in 1924 is this species:
http://asianarboreals.googlepages.com/lampropelmaviolaceopes

Confusingly it is sold as Cyriopagopus sp. Blue, Malaysian variety (#1) and a Singapore variety (#2). The differences assumed to be subtle colour differences and in particular that the malaysian variety should have a olive/tan carapace, whereas in the Singapore variety it is dark bluish. Fact is that these differences are related to size and age. Thus old specimens has the dark carapace and a darker violet hue than younger specimens that will sport a paler carapace and a lighter violet hue. The same darkening with age is seen in C. schioedtei and P. everetti as well.

The "Lampropelma violaceopes" that Botar and Swift has for sale is this species:
http://asianarboreals.googlepages.com/ornithoctoninaeg.sp."haplopelmarobustum"

This species is as of yet unidentified, but has been attempted sold under a herd of names; Cyriopagopus sp. "Blue-femur", Lampropelma violaceopes and Haplopelma robustum. It has nothing to do with Singapore, but come from high altitudes in the central malaysian highland. As with every other species this also has it's own subtle variations depending on age and locality.

As for Abraham, he was the dude who described Lampropelma violaceopes. Who he was and all the other stuff, you will have to retrieve for your own interest as I have no idea.

Regards
Søren
Finally it is cleared up in an understandable manner! Looks like i will be relabeling...

BTW- i dont agree with "reaching maturity in 1 year" that doesnt even seem possible to me after keeping this species. I could probably see 2-3 years but not 1 year.

Anyways thanks for your post.
-Nate

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BTW- i dont agree with "reaching maturity in 1 year" that doesnt even seem possible to me after keeping this species. I could probably see 2-3 years but not 1 year.
Well - fact is that we have had males mature in less than a year when doing high and regular feeding intervals. It is common consensus that the male and females reach sexual maturity (though not maximum size for the females) at the same instar. Thus I feel pretty confident in saying that this species can reach sexual maturity in less than a year. However - notice I am not stating that it can reach maximum size in less than a year, that takes a wee bit longer, but still shorter time than for instance C. schoedtei, that in this regard is a slow grower compared to L. violaceopes.

Regards
Søren

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just to underline that my statement about the maturation rate of Lampropelma violaceopes is not based on opinions or assumptions, but on the actual situation with this species, here is a random post from another thread with a male maturing in about a year:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1137987&postcount=1

Regards
Søren
soren just to give you a heads up, kelly didnt get the same shipment as botar and his Lampropelma violaceopes are CAPTIVE BRED lings. i inquired about the haplopelma robustum you thought he had and he was definitely displeased to know that you were assuming he had something else. iv done buisness with him several times he is VERY knowledgeable. thought this would clear things up for others, cya.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I really don't recall assuming anything about neither Kelly nor Botars stock. But since you are now implying that his naming of his "Lampropelma violaceopes" stock is valid because he is a reputable dealer with a vast knowledge, then I will comment on the "Lampropelma violaceopes" stock that both Kelly and Botar have.

Well - Botars Lampropelma violaceopes are not L. violaceopes:
http://www.botarby8s.com/pricelist.php?page=3&cat=tarantula

Kellys Lampropelma violaceopes are not L. violaceopes:
http://www.swiftinverts.com/

The mislabelling is not their fault, but the name label given by the supplier and a misidentification done by Volker von Wirth many years ago on this species. I do know how irritating it feel to change labels over and over again, but that's the name of the game when you wish to stay on top of the naming game.

What they do have as "Lampropelma violaceopes" is an unidentified Ornithoctonine spider, that has nothing nearer to do with Lampropelma violaceopes than belonging in the same subfamily, and which has been attempted sold under various names, which I have explained in this post:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1137592&postcount=52

And this posting was an attempt to clear out the name confusion between these two different species.

Whatever feelings Kelly have about putting the wrong labels on his spiders is not relevant for neither the species status nor the name status of these two species. All I can say is - deal with it. Preferably by changing the labels to avoid further misunderstandings in the future.

Regards
Søren

soren just to give you a heads up, kelly didnt get the same shipment as botar and his Lampropelma violaceopes are CAPTIVE BRED lings. i inquired about the haplopelma robustum you thought he had and he was definitely displeased to know that you were assuming he had something else. iv done buisness with him several times he is VERY knowledgeable. thought this would clear things up for others, cya.

lewisskinner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lee:

To get back on-topic, here is how I keep mine:

It's a cage taller than it is wide, around 4" substrate at the front (deeper at the back) and the spider has made a home inside the cork bark "tree stump", and has burrowed down inside that.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very same setup for mine. If I had money, all of my Ts would be in that, all 80 of them !!!!!

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to say I use exo-terra for my C sp Blue, also... and a warning, she is known to burrow into the styrofoam... so if you get an exo-terra, it may be a good idea to remove the styrofoam. I personally like how it looks, regardless how fake it looks... but she's got bits of styrofoam strewn about her substrate now and it looks messy. haha.

kcpzpr

Arachnopeon
Anyone knows the lifespan of L. Violaceopes, compairing to C. Schioedtei for example?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Considering the relatively fast rate of maturation maybe <8 years?

Also, at what legspan are females mature? I've got one est. 5.5 and while she is showing some blue/purple nothing near some photos I've seen posted.

kcpzpr

Arachnopeon
I`ve found data ranging from 5 to 15 years for L. Violaceopes. This my 5 inch female postmoult, do You think she`s ready for daiting?:)

Attachments

Last edited:

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO "singapore blue" should be cyriopagopus sp. singapore blue. It looks very similar (from the same family) as c. schroderi(sp?) where as the other species that is seen labled as L. violaceps looks a little less "related". I realize this is a very unscientific analysis but if you look closely at pics the shoe seems to fit. and I love it when you can send one species to a different family to fill that gap and then another species drops into it's place so the name isn't going obsolete, We were just talking about the wrong spider for a bit there. There's my layman's two cents. Wish I would have paid more attention to classification and nomenclature(again sp?) when I was in school.