Alltheworld's itsy bitsy cutie baby thread

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
yes its an exoterra but its a terrestrial one. its a perfect cube and the substrate is halfway up. so she cant fall more than a couple of inches.

---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 01:59 PM ----------

took a few shots of everyone today.

here is the new one in her enclosure.

shes at the very very top, and there is more floor space than height though the exoterra is basically a cube. it claims to be made for a terrestrial..and it appears safe enough. i do plan to move her to a 5 gallon but shes really small right now.

this shows off her lovely colors.

---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 02:05 PM ----------

here is persephone. in hunt mode...she dug a back door to her hide and waits above it...crickets go into the hide and pop up right in front of her fangs. she is very smart!

heres moses doing the happy dance after he caught himself some lunch.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yes its an exoterra but its a terrestrial one. its a perfect cube and the substrate is halfway up. so she cant fall more than a couple of inches.
Ah, gotcha! I haven't seen these over here as cubes so far, only for arboreals - hence my question ;) That new girl looks so scared...aww :(

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
Ah, gotcha! I haven't seen these over here as cubes so far, only for arboreals - hence my question ;) That new girl looks so scared...aww :(
yea im not sure what its called but i think its nano terrestrial or nano short...something, or...im too lazy to look it up right now, but shes safe, anyway. ;)

she is scared though.. i wish i could do something...but she ate a cricket yesterday, so at least its a start. not much you can do to make a tarantula less afraid besides like...leaving it alone, right?

---------- Post added 09-25-2012 at 07:47 AM ----------

i went to visit my Daisy yesterday...G. Rosea I had given to my sister. She is going away for a while so I'll be the one taking care of her again. we got some nice shots..i hadnt held her in a while.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
I got a new camera. Much fancier than anything Im used to. It takes great macro shots but I havent used that function yet on my Ts, however I did finally get some better quality pictures to share.

Under the right light...Moses makes me confused about his species. *sigh* But he sure is pretty.

Peach finally discovered that her flowerpot is much nicer than the top corner of the tank...

I can never get a good shot of this girl, she is so uncooperative.

Oh - and, here is my newest T. She doesnt eat much, but man is she mean:

hahaha. Love it!

thanks for looking. :)

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
I was helping my friend deal with her arachnophobia last night. She requested to hold Moses, my Avic, who is a wonderful ambassador for spiders....but Moses was busy exploring his terrestrial side on the opposite side of the tank under the foliage, and i didnt want to bother him. fortunately, I have another wonderful ambassador..Peach, my B Emilia.

Here she is on MY hand:

and again..

Now, let it be known that my friend did not chicken out of holding her. Apparently Peach chickened out of being held. She didnt have an issue sitting on ME, but when I tried to gently nudge her onto my friends hand, she turned into a mule on the train tracks. There was no getting her off. So we sat for a while and she petted her abdomen and was amazed at the softness...but there was no getting her off my hand. Meanwhile, my son who was supposed to be sleeping, wandered into my room and announced that he didnt want to go to bed anymore. At that time, normally I would have been a parent and gotten up and walked him back to bed. But, I had a tarantula stuck on my hand. I put my hand back into her enclosure, and that was a no-go as well. She just dug all of her little claws into my hand and rooted herself there. I sat there for about 20 minutes with my hand in a tank waiting for her to get bored, but apparently it takes brachys a really, really long time to get bored.

Eventually I got her off my hand. I refuse to pinch grab a tarantula, but I had to sort of fake like I was going to. Lightly put my fingers in the position I would if I were going to pinch grab her, and lifted up slightly, and she started slowly meandering off me and back into her house.

As docile and sweet and pretty as she is...I realize now that I can only handle this one when I have a LOT of time to kill. LOL!

---------- Post added 09-29-2012 at 08:08 AM ----------

oh, these are the ones i took one handed with my new giant camera. after i pretty much gave up trying to put her back into her tank..

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She was getting uneasy to say the least on that one - if I see one of my spreading it's fangs like that, I always leave them be. Kinda 1st warning sign. But she was probably enjoying the warmth of your skin and just didn't want to move away from it :D

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
yeah, i noticed that, but there was nothing i could do about it. she was not moving for anything. I figured I might actually get my first tag ever, which would have been embarassing if it was an emilia that did it. But she was fine. She never kicked hairs either, actually seemed to be okay with coming out of the tank. I wonder if perhaps she just doesnt like her setup. But I plan to leave her be for a good long while now so she can fully adjust.

---------- Post added 09-29-2012 at 01:43 PM ----------

Apologies if you guys are sick of seeing the same old spiders over and over, but I only have four to work with at the moment. And I am still playing with my awesome new camera.

Persephone (N. Coloratovillosus) got a small photo shoot today, so I thought Id share.

I got a small photoshoot myself, and I need to share my very most aggressive tarantula...Braceletus...Shineus....aka SERIOUS tarantula bling. It doesnt eat much, but it sure is feisty.

I think I am done for a while. I need some new photo subjects! (You should see the wonderful shots I get of my cats and my lizard! But they dont have eight legs, so I wont post them here. Neither do I, but my bracelet does. Hope that is okay.):cool:

---------- Post added 09-29-2012 at 01:45 PM ----------

oh wow, i already shared the bracelet. you know, im almost 30, and i havent smoked pot in many years, but i still have that stoner memory.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
I am really getting the hang of this camera.

Moses is so cute.

and Daisy was feeling photogenic yesterday..

I have to finish with this rare moment of Persephone remembering that she is, indeed, a terrestrial.

look at her, shes on the GROUND! Who'd have thought? I was thrilled. Hopefully she stops this climbing business but Im not holding my breath. Shes a weirdo. (Dont worry, shes safe from falls.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great pictures of that Avic and nice to see Persephone decided to walk on a horizontal instead of vertical surface for once :D

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
Do you think that the Avic looks premolt? Its hard to tell when they are black anyway, but I know you have more experience than I with these things.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you think that the Avic looks premolt? Its hard to tell when they are black anyway, but I know you have more experience than I with these things.
I don't think so, but as you most likely know Avics usually show some or all of these signs prior to molting:

a) extensive webbing
b) reclusiveness
c) continual denial of food
d) loosing "grip" on walls, not able to climb really that well anymore

Unless she shows those, I'd say she might just be not hungry. My. A.avic is a very picky eater and doesn't follow any schedule like my other T's, but before she molted she started pretty much all of the above stated like 4 weeks before.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
Yeah, I do know the signs of premolt, but i have heard of some peoples Avics feeding right up to the day, and I am also extra hopeful for a molt soon just to see him regrow his missing leg. Moses has never turned down food before...and in general, he doesnt web very often..he just likes to stick the leaves of his plant to the side of the wall randomly.. I did find him on the floor of his enclosure earlier this week and had asked about that, but now hes back up, hanging out on the glass, so I dont think hes becoming un sticky.

I shouldnt be excited for him to molt, because Im thinking the next molt will be maturing...but I have a girlfriend lined up for him locally, so at the same time, Im very excited! :)

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pictures! I think that caterpillar might be either Spodoptera ornithogalli or Noctua pronuba. These are moth species that look very similar as caterpillars. Both are native to your area.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
The other day I helped a couple friends overcome their arachnophobia with my wonderful spider-human ambassador, Moses. (A. Avic) I only got a picture of one of my friends holding him, but he behaved perfectly and she got a lot out of it.

She also tried to hold Peach but for some reason, Peach only likes MY hand, and stepped OVER my friend's fingers to get back onto me. At least she's comfortable with me...

Then afterward I decided to grow a pair and handle Persephone; my giant Nhandu. She seemed to be in a good mood that day. I didnt get her out of her enclosure, but I put my hand down, stroked her abdomen, and she climbed on...sat for a minute...and climbed off. Best shot we could get was this, with her halfway on my hand.

Bear in mind the view is skewed a bit, her enclosure isnt nearly as tall as the picture makes it look, and it IS within the 1.5x her overall leg span. Also, her abdomen looks way, way bigger in this picture than it actually is. Probably because near the end she lifted it up, and haired me. That was as well-behaved as she gets.

And heres moses, being cute, on a leaf.

thanks for looking.

qpLMBqp

Arachnopeon
I also have an Avic-Avic! They are beautiful! My mom let me take some pics with her $1500.00 camera last night :unsure:, but it worked out fine. I got some good pics of him. (His name is Ninja.) http://imgur.com/a/YTqY5 There's a few pics of him and my other T.:biggrin:

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
nice! he's cute...and much bigger than mine! I like the den the rosie has going on, too. neat idea. mine just sits inside a cork bark log.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
I think I traumatized Persephone today. Her tank is in a dark area of my room and therefore I rarely get a really good shot of her without having to use flash, and we all know flash just ruins pretty much every good image's potential, blah blah blah. So I set up a photo area in my living room with a good source of natural sunlight. She didn't seem to care when I lifted the tank and carried it into the living room. But once I set her down in the lighted area (its not even a sunny day!), she FREAKED out, ran laps, and then dove head first into the back door of her burrow. Cept, she has ostrich syndrome, so she left her butt and back legs sticking out.

So I worked with what I had. Poor thing.

And here's a picture of some of the neat webbing she's done to attach everything to everything else inside her tank.

She is back in the dark corner now, hopefully forgiving me.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Guess someone got scared there, yeah. Very nice shots of the urticating hair patch and webbing you did there. My cam just can't do that much and I'm kinda jealous about you people being to capture such shots...just don't have the money to spare on a -real- cam and equip - I rather get new T's and make due with what I have as cam ;)