A seemanni fell and ruptured abdomen..

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I think, regardless of the semantics on the "technical" definition of handling (although by the logic of some, when a T is on a person's back/shoulder, they aren't technically "handling" because the T isn't in their hands, which is ridiculous, but I digress), we can all agree that this thread shows exactly what you risk happening when you remove a T from it's enclosure for the soul purpose of "playing" with it. Regardless if the T is placed in someone's hands, on their shoulder, their head, or a desk a number of feet off the ground, the risks and results are often the same.

THIS is why so many are against handling in ANY WAY (including letting your T wander around). This could have absolutely been prevented by simply avoiding handling the T, period.

OP, if you haven't been scared off, I truly am sorry your T got hurt and I hope she pulls through. I also hope you learned your lesson and practice safer husbandry practices for the sake of your pets, including not sticking your hands in the enclosure anymore. Please keep us posted on the status of your spider and please don't let this incident keep you from coming back to AB. We all make mistakes, the important thing is to learn from them. Best of luck to you and your pets.
Yes, it obviously takes extreme intelligence to understand the difference between leaving a T unsupervised in an elevated position and direct physical contact. I mean those two things almost sound exactly the same and I’m not surprised that you’re not understanding the difference.

We can agree though that taking T’s out of their enclosures for any reason does pose some risk as this sad incident has proven.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
From now on just say don’t handle and or put T on a table or other applicable surface. Quite a mouthful. I’m going to take a wild guess and say op is gone and T is dead or dying. Hope to be proven wrong.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@SiegfriedX
please don't listen to all these negative Nancys.

this is why alot of the experienced keepers stopped posting here. there are far too many people that want to jump down someones throat to try to put them down and make themselves feel better.
Remember at the end of the day they are just bugs. Don't stress yourself about it i've done the same thing.

And i feel you made the right decision to glue her up. if you didn't she would of bled out already

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Yes, it obviously takes extreme intelligence to understand the difference between leaving a T unsupervised in an elevated position and direct physical contact. I mean those two things almost sound exactly the same and I’m not surprised that you’re not understanding the difference.

We can agree though that taking T’s out of their enclosures for any reason does pose some risk as this sad incident has proven.
Dude, you don't have to go around claiming people are not intelligent because they have a different way of viewing handling than you do. If your opinion of "handling" means direct contact with the spider and nothing else, whatever, think what you want, but just because other people define "handling" a tarantula as a broader term (which includes picking it up and putting it on a surface to wander around) does NOT denote lack of intelligence, and your constant need to "go there" and continue to insult the intelligence of others and argue against their opinions doesn't nothing but derail this thread and take away from the important lesson that should be learned here.

Do I understand that the word "handling" means to hold something in your hands? Of course, I'm not an idiot, but in this hobby, "handling" isn't just a singular word with a fixed definition. For myself and some others (I obviously can't speak for everyone) it's a term describing the concept of removing a tarantula from it's enclosure to play with it, regardless of where it's held or on what/whom it's allowed to wander. It's dangerous for the spider, and this thread describes what happens too often when a keeper decides to play with their tarantula.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
who the heck do you think you are?
can you be any more condescending?
its people like you............

STOP PUTTING YOUR SPIDER IN SITUATIONS WITH A HIGH RISK OF FALLING. No more letting it run up your arm. No more letting it free roam on a table.. *headdesk*
Still waiting to see pics of the enclosure...
Hey @SiegfriedX got those enclosure pics? We want to help make sure your Ts are properly housed.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Dude, you don't have to go around claiming people are not intelligent because they have a different way of viewing handling than you do. If your opinion of "handling" means direct contact with the spider and nothing else, whatever, think what you want, but just because other people define "handling" a tarantula as a broader term (which includes picking it up and putting it on a surface to wander around) does NOT denote lack of intelligence, and your constant need to "go there" and continue to insult the intelligence of others and argue against their opinions doesn't nothing but derail this thread and take away from the important lesson that should be learned here.

Do I understand that the word "handling" means to hold something in your hands? Of course, I'm not an idiot, but in this hobby, "handling" isn't just a singular word with a fixed definition. For myself and some others (I obviously can't speak for everyone) it's a term describing the concept of removing a tarantula from it's enclosure to play with it, regardless of where it's held or on what/whom it's allowed to wander. It's dangerous for the spider, and this thread describes what happens too often when a keeper decides to play with their tarantula.
F1E21BDE-0271-4CE4-9989-418C66AE23FA.jpeg

I’ve already explained why I made the distinction. This thread shouldn’t be used as an argument against responsible handlers.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@SiegfriedX
please don't listen to all these negative Nancys.
Ah ah I swear you Americans crack me up with your 'specific' terms: 'negative Nancys'. Amazing :rofl:

Somewhat I agree with you, for that a man called Siegfried should listen only to the sweet sound of the steel of Nothung :bored:

Daniel266jz

Arachnopeon
View attachment 263435

I’ve already explained why I made the distinction. This thread shouldn’t be used as an argument against responsible handlers.
Sorry but seems like you just like being looking intelligent and right handling is handling he had to take out the T by HANDLING it first of all. He had to HANDLE it for him to get used to putting the T on the table/desk. It didn't fall as per handling it at the moment but guess what led up to it..... HANDLING. You love breaking down something in to such a literal meaning to prove people wrong. And by literal I mean your version of literal. Like I said handling is handling no matter which way you put it in this post, T should have been in its cage no if ands or buts thats all.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
View attachment 263435

Quoting a dictionary doesn't prove anything except the fact that you refuse to see any other perspective than your own because, like I said, the word is used to describe a broader concept than that. It's almost like a "for lack of a better word" thing. And no one said this thread would be used against "responsible" handling, but THIS, the reason this thread began in the first place, was FAR from responsible.

And just FYI, several keepers who are dead set against handling (myself included) have given advice to people about safe handling practices and how to reduce the risks (not eliminate the risks because "responsible" handling still poses potentially life threatening risks to the spider) because it's that person's choice whether they handle their T or not.

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if you are arguing so vehemently and taking this argument against handling so personally because it argues against your own plans/practices with your own Ts that you don't want to admit may not be the best thing for your spiders. But whatever, that's not what this thread is about. Taking this personal and making it about yourself helps no one learn from OPs mistake.

This thread is about the dangers and risks of handling (and yes, even responsible handling can and has resulted in spider injuries/deaths). This shows one if the greatest risks posed by handling a tarantula. Like it or not, believe it or not, your choice. But this is the danger you risk when handling.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
who the heck do you think you are?
can you be any more condescending?
its people like you............
"Who the heck to you think you are?"... well, I'm someone who doesn't put my spiders in high risk situations, nor do I drop them..

"It's people like you...." "that don't drop spiders on the floor"

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Quoting a dictionary doesn't prove anything except the fact that you refuse to see any other perspective than your own because, like I said, the word is used to describe a broader concept than that. It's almost like a "for lack of a better word" thing. And no one said this thread would be used against "responsible" handling, but THIS, the reason this thread began in the first place, was FAR from responsible.

And just FYI, several keepers who are dead set against handling (myself included) have given advice to people about safe handling practices and how to reduce the risks (not eliminate the risks because "responsible" handling still poses potentially life threatening risks to the spider) because it's that person's choice whether they handle their T or not.

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if you are arguing so vehemently and taking this argument against handling so personally because it argues against your own plans/practices with your own Ts that you don't want to admit may not be the best thing for your spiders. But whatever, that's not what this thread is about. Taking this personal and making it about yourself helps no one learn from OPs mistake.

This thread is about the dangers and risks of handling (and yes, even responsible handling can and has resulted in spider injuries/deaths). This shows one if the greatest risks posed by handling a tarantula. Like it or not, believe it or not, your choice. But this is the danger you risk when handling.
You write a four paragraph response to my two sentence post, and I’m the one taking things personally? Sounds legit...

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Sorry but seems like you just like being looking intelligent and right handling is handling he had to take out the T by HANDLING it first of all. He had to HANDLE it for him to get used to putting the T on the table/desk. It didn't fall as per handling it at the moment but guess what led up to it..... HANDLING. You love breaking down something in to such a literal meaning to prove people wrong. And by literal I mean your version of literal. Like I said handling is handling no matter which way you put it in this post, T should have been in its cage no if ands or buts thats all.
All I’m saying is that the T wasn’t being handled when it was injured, based on the description of the incident. People disputed that, and I defended my point. End of story.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
This isn’t even my thread and it’s making me irritated that this thread has turned from someone asking for help and advice on a situation that their not familiar with, to everyone who has a way to high ego of themselves berating someone who made a mistake and fighting with each other over the damn definition of “handling” all the OP asked for was advice on the situation and all they got was some BS and scolding, Ive heard of many MANY hobbyist leave his website due to the fact that people seem to just want to act better then anyone and give negative critiques and responses, no I’m not saying what the OP did was the smartest thing in the world but it’s happned you can’t go back in time and change it, but now instead of attacking the OP, we should’ve given them the advice they asked for, and yes I know some people on this thread did be helpful but a majority of posters were negitive and wanted nothing more than to feed there ego

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
People disputed that, and I defended my point. End of story.
I like your style man, and your 'title' :)

"As I walk through the (virtual) valley where I harvest my 'Dislike/Disagree' rates... "
the 'Nightshady Paradise', way better than Coolio's Gangsta's one, I say! :pompous:

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
I like your style man, and your 'title' :)

"As I walk through the (virtual) valley where I harvest my 'Dislike/Disagree' rates... "
the 'Nightshady Paradise', way better than Coolio's Gangsta's one, I say! :pompous:
“Been spending most of life livin’ in a pokie paradise...”

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
You write a four paragraph response to my two sentence post, and I’m the one taking things personally? Sounds legit...
All I’m saying is that the T wasn’t being handled when it was injured, based on the description of the incident. People disputed that, and I defended my point. End of story.
The only thing I take personally is you insulting my personal intelligence because I disagree with you, which, by the way, is not simply defending your point. It is attacking someone because they disagree with you. But whatever, I'm done feeding into your BS because this thread has been derailed far enough. Have a nice day.

SiegfriedX

Arachnopeon
Hello all, here is the belated update. I didn't disturb her over the last couple weeks and hoped she would molt soon and pull through. I checked on her about two hours ago I found her legs were sitting in a weird position. I put her in an ICU. Now she can't even stand on her feet :( seems like she'll be gone soon. Maybe I'll wait and see if she has a last chance. Otherwise I'll just euthanize her.

Yes I was shunning away from coming back because I felt ashamed of what I did. But after all I've got to correct my mistakes and face what I did. Thank you all for the discussions.