1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A seemanni fell and ruptured abdomen..

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by SiegfriedX, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Pics of the enclosure was to rule out one that was poorly set up, in case that was the reason for the fall/injury.

Tarantulas don't have blood, they have hemolymph.

Depends on when her last molt was I guess?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

We all make mistakes. Best to learn from them and move on.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnobaron Active Member

Hate to say it, but this is only one of MANY classic cases. Whether or not the gluing ends up being the cause of the death makes no difference. A leakage in the abdomen, the resultant stress of handling/gluing, or the gluing itself....... whichever kills her first:(

The trick is to prevent this situation from the get go. Glad to know you’ve accepted the lesson learned. Move forward with the experience, and join the many of us who practice the no-handling policy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

Let us know how she gets on please ?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester Arachnosupporter

So sorry this happened. Warm water will soften super glue, and it may allow you to uncover the anus. I would ask around for those that have superglued a wound on a T to see how long the bond remained in place. If that time is notably longer than the average time between anal excretions, I would try and remove the blockage if it were me. Of course this is all a moot point if the internal injuries from the fall were severe. Best of luck.

6. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

How is she doing? Is she responding to her surroundings?

7. spidertherapy78

spidertherapy78 Arachnoknight Active Member

Yikes. I'm really sorry to read about this happening. I hope your T pulls through. Please keep us posted.

8. SiegfriedX

SiegfriedX Arachnopeon

Hey guys, so I got home just now and she was sitting on the side of her enclosure in basically the same position as in the morning but her butt was now lifted out of the water. I opened the lid and tried to check on her abdomen. She quickly climbed onto my arm then to my back... so she seems still perfectly active and is more skittish than usual. As I put her back into the enclosure and she darted back onto my hand again... Does this mean the wound was probably not fatal? Also, should I keep feeding her so that she molts soon?

I will keep updating if anything happens. Hopefully she will survive...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  9. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    You’ll just have to wait and see how she does for a while. Anything is possible. If you want to prevent another fall injury I suggest you stop handling it though, as others have suggested.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SiegfriedX

SiegfriedX Arachnopeon

Yes I will! I just wanted to check on her wound and she climbed onto me. I put her back to her enclosure as soon as I could.

11. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Arachnosquire Active Member

I wouldn't feed her for a while...id let things heal. Just water for now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnobaron Active Member

:banghead:

...... there is absolutely no reason for that to happen

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Award Award x 1
  13. spidertherapy78

spidertherapy78 Arachnoknight Active Member

Please be very careful with your Ts. You have really learned the hard way about the dangers of handling.
    You do not need to even put yourself in a situation where a T goes onto your hand. You can check on your T without touching it. Sometimes you have to be patient and wait until they are in the right position, or use a flashlight, or bend over in weird ways to see it, but it is certainly possible. If you must, pick up the enclosure, but please don't pick up the T.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Award Award x 1
  14. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester Arachnosupporter

I just want to say that to be fair, this wasn’t an injury from handling. Per the OP’s post, the T was left free to roam in an elevated position over a hard wood floor. To me, this scenario would seem much more dangerous than handling.

As always, I will say I don’t handle my T’s and encourage others to do the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ediblepain

ediblepain Arachnosquire Active Member

STOP PUTTING YOUR SPIDER IN SITUATIONS WITH A HIGH RISK OF FALLING. No more letting it run up your arm. No more letting it free roam on a table.. *headdesk*

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  16. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I think that in this case, we can do without the semantics and literal meanings of the word 'handling'. ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. WoofSpider

WoofSpider Arachnosquire

Agreed. Handling and letting a T roam about are both bad ideas, but at least with handling, you have slightly more control.

Really though, there is never an excuse for ever touching a T. Just leave it in the enclosure. If you need to move it to a new one, then use a catch cup. Other than that, leave the tarantula alone.

This is a bad mindset to have. Your tarantula is not a dog or a cat. Don't treat it like one. If you want a kitten, get a kitten.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

Okay... so you were welcomed with sympathy and understanding in regards to not one, but two huge (and easily avoided) mistakes. That is mountains more than what most people get in similar situations. But then you proceed to immediately handle your spider again. So you actually didn't really learn anything. Claiming that it was an accident is no excuse - why was your hand in the enclosure yet again? What is there to even check on? "Yep, still slathered in super glue."

The way I see it, that spider has a nearly 0% chance of surviving. If the rupture didn't kill it, you completely plugging her anus with glue will kill it. Leave the poor thing alone to die in peace. Personally, I'd euthanize it.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

@SiegfriedX Sorry to say but even if it is not showing signs of apparent distress it doesn't look too good for long term survival.

You are already aware of the error(s) made and others have brought them up as well so I am not going to dwell on any of that, I am just going to say that I hope by a miracle your Spider pulls through.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Nada

Nada Arachnoknight Active Member

Arizona
    I agree, and at the same time disagree with this.
    slathered in glue unable to pass excretions is an awful way to go, and honestly a quick euthinization is probably the most "humane" thing to do. However, I think it's too soon for that. Tarantulas can be resourceful, and you never know what could happen... I honestly think it dies when it trys to moult if not before hand, but crazier things have happened.
    dudes gotta stop touching it though...

• Agree Agree x 3