1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A seemanni fell and ruptured abdomen..

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by SiegfriedX, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Mjb30

Mjb30 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    It would be useful for the OP (@SiegfriedX ) to say when the T last moulted also. If it’s just moulted then I would think little point in letting the poor little thing carry on...

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester Arachnosupporter

I guess if you don’t care about being accurate, then sure we can just overlook the fact that this wasn’t a handling accident. Makes it easier to dogpile the OP from your high horse, that’s for sure. Carry on!

• Lollipop Lollipop x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mjb30

I’d be of the opinion that put a T out on your desk IS handling. Anything that’s removing her unnecessarily from its enclosure is creating risk. Also, how did the OP get the T from the enclosure to the desk??

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

If you read my posts you can see i am not dogpiling anything. I posted once to ask how the fall occurred and the second time to ask how the spider was doing.

So there's no need to bleat at me from the high horse you're sitting on about me acting out against OP.
    Carry on.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ediblepain

ediblepain Arachnosquire Active Member

Still waiting to see pics of the enclosure...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. ediblepain

ediblepain Arachnosquire Active Member

Hey @SiegfriedX got those enclosure pics? We want to help make sure your Ts are properly housed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Yes-- what would happen if your anus was blocked- would you be healthy? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Nightshady

OP's description: "I let her sit around on my desk while I was working at my desk. She's usually calm but this time somehow decided to dart towards the edge of the desk and fell ~3 feet onto the hardwood floor."

Not sure how it could be much clearer... OP wasn't handling the T when the accident occurred. The T was sitting on the desk as it had apparently done many times before while the OP worked, and the T darted off the desk. Yes the OP handles the T. Yes the OP handled the T to get it on the desk. But per the fairly detailed description, the OP was not handling the T when the accident occurred.

You make think this is splitting hairs, but handling T's is obviously a controversial topic, and people have already talked about bookmarking this thread as an example of why not to handle T's. Those that would defend responsible handling would certainly point out that letting a T roam free on an elevated surface over a hardwood floor is not in any form or fashion a good idea, and that this shouldn't be considered a handling accident.

If you're going to make an argument against handling, and I would include myself in this, then you should at least make an accurate argument against it. Otherwise those you're trying to convince won't take your argument seriously.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Nightshady

Oh sorry, I should have said you were enabling dogpiling perhaps, haha.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Mjb30

I absolutely accept your point that the T was not in the OP’s hands if that is your definition of handling.

In my opinion, and I'm perfectly comfortable for this to be rejected or disagreed with, the term 'handling' is a broader term than just allowing a T to crawl or sit on one's hands, arms or personage. That's just how I see it. I agree that to be precise this would more accurately be described as, again IMO, 'inappropriate and/or necessary contact with a tarantula'.

But, I accept your point it's a different, albeit related, issue.

This thread is a sad and unfortunate example of why exposing a T to unnecessary risk continually is a very bad idea. Risk can never be completely avoided when keeping any venomous critter but it can be mitigated as much as possible for safety of people and of the critter itself.

It's all just so avoidable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Abbio

Abbio Arachnopeon

Hows the T doing now ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. JoeMean

JoeMean Arachnopeon

I don’t think he’s gonna come back....been few days now

Hopefully the T will make it but I have doubts...

Sorry to bring it back up but I never handle ANY of my T’s even the docile ones...

Best of luck!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I think the 'dogpiling' scared him away which is bad and we should feel bad, right Slim Shady? Oh, sorry, @Nightshady
    :troll::troll::troll:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  14. Nightshady

Makes no difference to me. I’m just amused by your hypocrisy.

15. Nightshady

First off, thanks for the rational and adult discussion on this topic. Let me explain my reasoning for the strict description of handling...

There are some very experienced keepers here at AB who advocate handling when it’s done in a controlled and safe manner (less than 12” over a soft surface for example). Does it make the risk zero? Of course not, but I do believe it makes the risk to T for an experienced keeper so low that I don’t think that they are being irresponsible, even if I personally wouldn’t choose to follow their example.

There are people who posted here who would use this incident as an argument against those that practiced ‘responsible’ handling, and that’s clearly an unfair argument. Leaving a T unsupervised in an elevated position several feet above a hard surface isn’t even in the ballpark of ‘responsible’ handling.

I totally get what you’re saying though about considering ‘handling’ anything that makes you take the T out of its habitat. In a way, you’re right, but I still think the distinction I’m making is a valid point as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    People will argue with anything.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Mjb30

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I agree the distinction you make is totally valid.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KrystalG

KrystalG Arachnopeon Active Member

Utah
  19. JoP

JoP Arachnopeon Active Member

Any news on how the T is doing? That looks like a lot of super glue, so I have my doubts about the prognosis being anything other than poor. Probably better to humanely euthanize than allow her to suffer a slow, painful death.

20. Lokee85

Lokee85 Arachnosquire Active Member

Missouri
    I think, regardless of the semantics on the "technical" definition of handling (although by the logic of some, when a T is on a person's back/shoulder, they aren't technically "handling" because the T isn't in their hands, which is ridiculous, but I digress), we can all agree that this thread shows exactly what you risk happening when you remove a T from it's enclosure for the soul purpose of "playing" with it. Regardless if the T is placed in someone's hands, on their shoulder, their head, or a desk a number of feet off the ground, the risks and results are often the same.

THIS is why so many are against handling in ANY WAY (including letting your T wander around). This could have absolutely been prevented by simply avoiding handling the T, period.

OP, if you haven't been scared off, I truly am sorry your T got hurt and I hope she pulls through. I also hope you learned your lesson and practice safer husbandry practices for the sake of your pets, including not sticking your hands in the enclosure anymore. Please keep us posted on the status of your spider and please don't let this incident keep you from coming back to AB. We all make mistakes, the important thing is to learn from them. Best of luck to you and your pets.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2