Your carnivorous plant pics

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
I read an interesting story this year, news article, how the wild CP population is suffering quite a bit because people buy the plants w/out knowing or caring if they captive propagated or WC, just like Ts. I also read Venus's in particular I believe, are very much in danger.

There's a guy I THINK up in NH maybe Maine, that breeds many different CPs and sells them too.
As far as I know, the areas where poached carnivorous plants are really a problem are in the U.S., where people could dig up thousands of Venus Fly Traps and only receive a 50 dollar fine (until recently), and Australia, where the same problem is happening but with tuberous sundews (some extremely rare tuberous sundews in cultivation are actually said to have never propagated artificially, they are just torn out of the ground and then sold to someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care).

There was also a big problem with the tropical pitcher plants (Nepenthes) in the 80's when many CP collectors only cared about collection aspect of the hobby and would travel over to the south pacific to poach Nepenthes. Then when locals caught word of the value of the plants, they sold them to collectors as well (which I can't really blame them much for). Nepenthes, especially their seeds it seems, are still poached, but I believe they are a bit better protected than before.

Fortunately, there are many CP suppliers all over the world who propagate their plants instead of taking them out of the wild, especially in Europe. Europe has way more variety when it comes to available species. Unfortunately, since the U.S. is a giant landmass, you have to jump through more hoops when purchasing plants from Europe, which usually just means paying more. Actually, come to think of it, the cost that European nurseries usually have you pay for the phytosanitary certificate is around 40 bucks, so it isn't much different from paying over-night shipping here, cost-wise at least.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Currently the biggest threats to CPs are climate change and urban building (in the U.S., whole populations of unique forms of Sarracenia have been wiped out to be replace by a mall or parking lot).

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
What are the stoppered tubes for, what liquid is inside? Beautiful CPs, never owned but observed them in the wild.
The test tubes are for leaf cuttings. It's just an easy way to float a leaf without taking too much room.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
As requested, here is the setup (at least for my terrarium/vivarium thing), some others are outdoors, and some are under lights outside of a tank.

Note: the sippy cup is for watering purposes.

Attachments

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Ironically, venus flytraps have been introduced outside of their native range, so they may end up becoming extinct where they're endemic but invasive elsewhere...

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
That's true, people have even introduced a tuberous sundew (all tuberous sundews are native to Australia) in a bog in southern Oregon where it has thrived.

While I'm not as worried about the Venus Fly Trap as I am, say, Drosera zonaria or Nepenthes clipeata (go look that one up), the point is that the reducing Venus Fly Trap populations goes to show really how little we do to protect the wonders we have.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
While I'm not as worried about the Venus Fly Trap as I am, say, Drosera zonaria or Nepenthes clipeata (go look that one up), the point is that the reducing Venus Fly Trap populations goes to show really how little we do to protect the wonders we have.
Great collection! I'm hoping to pick up some Drosera this spring so I can finally get into CPs! I've seen both US Drosera and Sarracenia in their native habitats and it was a real treat. Couldn't find any Dionaea at the time, but it was mid march and I suspect many hadn't started growing yet. Hoping that anyway and they weren't all collected. I'm betting they were just still dormant though since someone that was poaching certainly would have taken the other CPs we found there.

And I looked up N. clipeata! That's a crazy adaptation! I guess something had to grab that niche, but man...

Sana

Arachnoprince
Here goes the idiot post. I recently got a venus fly trap which if I'm understanding correctly is a Dionaea muscipula. I'm going to guess that this section of the forum is similar to the tarantula sections in preferring proper names to common names. The information from my local greenhouse on carnivorous plants is pretty vague. Could anyone tell me the best way to care for the poor little thing so that I don't damage or kill it?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
https://www.flytrapcare.com/
http://venusflytrap.info/venus-fly-trap-care-tips-guide/
http://www.pitcherplant.com/care_sheets/flytrap_care.html
Thirty second google search. There are also entire forums devoted to venus flytraps, if you're really interested. And for a quick summary: equal parts peat/silica sand soil, no fertilizer, leave standing in water, likes fairly high humidity, lots and lots and lots of light, winter rest which can be down to 20 degrees farenheit (if I remember right). But read those websites.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thank you so much. I was afraid that doing a google search would get the same type of results as tarantula care. Usually questionable advice and I don't know enough to know what is really off the wall. I appreciate the websites.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Found this sorta old (taken March 19th) but rather flattering picture of my D. capensis 'alba'. Here it is

Attachments

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi everyone,

Very nice plants you all have there! I am also an avid CP collector and though I would share some of my photos.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Great pictures! Is that your whole collection? Also, what are the species in the fourth and fifth pictures?

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Great pictures! Is that your whole collection? Also, what are the species in the fourth and fifth pictures?
Thanks!
No, not my entire collection. I have quite a few plants and will look at posting more photos.

The forth plant is a close up of Drosera Spatulata and the fifth one is Pinguicula x Emarginata x Ehlersiae both are very hardy plants which grow well, but most Pinguicula do like to go into dormancy in winter when days get shorter and nights longer.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I can fully understand how populations of species could be pressured by something like that, and carnivorous, at least from my experience, are harder to look after than any tarantula.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
I can fully understand how populations of species could be pressured by something like that, and carnivorous, at least from my experience, are harder to look after than any tarantula.
Some CP's can most definitely be quite troublesome to grow successfully, but there are of course those that are quite easy to grow and given the right environment they will flourish. ;)