Your carnivorous plant pics

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
So I know we already have a thread for your plant collects, but since I'm specifically a CP enthusiast I want to know if there are any members here who are specifically into carnivorous plants as well.

I'll start off with a few pics from the main part of my collection :)

If you have any questions on the plants, feel free to ask! I'm pretty new to the CP hobby, only been growin them for a little over 6 months now, but I should be able to answer most care questions

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
I photo to include a pic of the cape sundews, which I often forget about as they have been exiled to my propagation room.
image.jpg

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's awesome! I've always wanted to keep carnivorous plants. Are they really difficult to maintain?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That's awesome! I've always wanted to keep carnivorous plants. Are they really difficult to maintain?
Just like any group of plants, it depends on the species. Drosera capensis, for example, is very easy, whereas Roridula and Darlingtonia are almost impossible without a crazy greenhouse or someone living in an appropriate climate (or so I've read).

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Just like any group of plants, it depends on the species. Drosera capensis, for example, is very easy, whereas Roridula and Darlingtonia are almost impossible without a crazy greenhouse or someone living in an appropriate climate (or so I've read).
I've found that ease of care really comes down to the amount of money and time you are willing to invest. Darlingtonia seem to have a bad rap, I've found a lot of people have don't have a problem with them. I am less sure about Roridula, but I believe that most people have problems with them because they will get covered in bugs but cannot digest them. You need to fertilize them to make up for the lack of nutrient intake, and you will also need good airflow to keep the carcasses from developing mold, or you will need to pick off the dead bugs by hand.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
This pic is from last year, right now they are just starting to wake up from dormancy 20150517_130730.jpg

-JohnD.

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
I don't really know anything about plants.. I can't really keep anything alive, but your pictures are awesome :) Thank you for sharing them! I think carnivorous plants are so cool. Looks like you have a nice little collection

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Nice collection! which species are those? (other than the venus flytrap, of course)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
In JohnD's. You already listed yours in this thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/your-plant-collections.265170/page-3
As wonderful a collection as always, though. :)
I'm posting a picture of one of my sundews (D. filiformis) from over the summer (apologies for the orientation, which I don't know how to fix...), and of my cephalotus now. My sundews are currently just coming out of dormancy. Enjoy!

Attachments

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Nice collection! which species are those? (other than the venus flytrap, of course)
Three types of Drosera capensis: alba, broadleaf, and red.
Drosera aliciae
Drosera rotundifolia
Drosera spatulata
Drosera binata

And a small pot of hybrid Pingulata.

-JohnD

Chillilisous

Arachnopeon
So I know we already have a thread for your plant collects, but since I'm specifically a CP enthusiast I want to know if there are any members here who are specifically into carnivorous plants as well.

I'll start off with a few pics from the main part of my collection :)

If you have any questions on the plants, feel free to ask! I'm pretty new to the CP hobby, only been growin them for a little over 6 months now, but I should be able to answer most care questions

View attachment 205166 View attachment 205167 View attachment 205170 View attachment 205171 View attachment 205172 View attachment 205173
Could you post a picture of that set-up? Appears to be some sort of glass display case? I'm setting up a recently vacated room in my apartment with a series of plants and am looking for some good storage methods.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Could you post a picture of that set-up? Appears to be some sort of glass display case? I'm setting up a recently vacated room in my apartment with a series of plants and am looking for some good storage methods.
It's actually a giant 70 gallon fish tank. I'll post pictures when I get home

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I was super into carnivorous plants a year or two ago but never ended up doing anything about it because it seemed like most of the plants I wanted, like the big pitchers, weren't an option for me because it gets too cold in the winter here for them and they're supposedly too big for indoor grow lights to work very well. At least that's what I recall reading.

Still into them and might at least pick up a flytrap or a sundew sometime

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read an interesting story this year, news article, how the wild CP population is suffering quite a bit because people buy the plants w/out knowing or caring if they captive propagated or WC, just like Ts. I also read Venus's in particular I believe, are very much in danger.

There's a guy I THINK up in NH maybe Maine, that breeds many different CPs and sells them too.