You will never know what is inside...

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hm..I've had this happen to me a many times.
It seemed to me, they usually come out of the animal when they sense that their host is in distrese.. When I picked up w/c crickets or grass hopers, I usually squish them halway several times to see if any parasitic worms would come out...usually it works, every 5th cricket (approx) I caught appeared to have some worms come out when I did this..
But, thinking again; having parasitic problems in crickets and locust are probably not rare in captive bred specimens either.

OTwolfe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is there a way to tell if captive bred crics have parasites? If I asked the sales person at the store I buy from, would they have any way of knowing? Note to self, partially squish T food from now on. :4:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, I don't really know if there is, unless you'd like to break open every cricket you have..

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you have specified that they do not wish to receive emails via the forum – any way to get in touch with you private?
Hi. Now it should be working.

Cheshire said:
Dark Raptor, I think your problem may be your search terms.

Have you tried entomopathogenic or araneopathogenic?

But, yeah...those are definitely nematodes. No mistaking them. The only other thing they could be are annelids and I don't know of any parasitic annelids off the top of my head (excluding leeches-ectoparasites...not endoparasites). Either way, they don't show any sort of segmentation.

Just goes to show...WC prey is a no-no.
I've been also seraching for the literature with term "araneopathogenic". These parasites are "unpopular" because spiders are not pests like insects. Entomopatogenic nematodes are commonly used as biological control agents, so you can find tons of information about them.

PS. My wife prepares doctor thesis about nematodes (parasites of Tenebrionidae beetles), so I know how to ID this group ;)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PS. My wife prepares doctor thesis about nematodes (parasites of Tenebrionidae beetles), so I know how to ID this group ;)
Not trying to knock you, man...I'm fully aware of what you do for a living ;). Just thought you might have had a momentary lapse.

I figured more had been done with spider parasites.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That would totally gross me out. I know Jerusalem crickets get them but I didn't realize they were so common in other inverts. Yuk. Here's a video I found of one coming out of a cricket.

[YOUTUBE]IMwo9qji47s[/YOUTUBE]

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
That would totally gross me out. I know Jerusalem crickets get them but I didn't realize they were so common in other inverts. Yuk. Here's a video I found of one coming out of a cricket.
um, ok. that was really disgusting/disturbing.:embarrassed: but VERY interesting and really cool at the same time:D

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer

[YOUTUBE]IMwo9qji47s[/YOUTUBE]
:eek: holy smokes! that thing was huge.amazing........well time for some noodles i'm gettin hungry{D

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I think this thread has driven the point "do not feed WC prey" into everyone's head who saw it. Scary stuff...

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Doesn't make me wanna go swimmin either :p
hahaha! why? could be interesting...;P

on a different note, does anybody know what that was? i'm not too keen on identifying parasites/worms/whatever the heck that thing was...

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there a way to tell if captive bred crics have parasites?
You can pretty much bet that most adult CB crickets have parasites...mostly roundworms...

At the museum I work for, we do an annual worming of our live reptile collection because they inherently pick up roundworms and other parasites from the crickets they are fed. We've positively identified the crickets as vectors even after swtiching suppliers 4 times over the last 5 years.

This is why some people advocate routine de-wormings for all animals cb or wc.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My post was referring to reptiles and amphibians...I don't recommend deworming a spider.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pretty much everything has parasites. Thing is most parasites don't kill their hosts (not directly, anyways). They generally need their hosts do do something to get them to the next generation. Sometimes, they need their hosts to do something as simple as keep eating so they can reproduce inside and release their progeny through various means...or other times they need their host to get eaten. Compared to the majority of parasitic organisms, it's very uncommon for a parasite to disembowel the host and emerge in a way most of the pictures of parasites on here show. We probably don't notice 90% of parasites. They just don't hurt the critter in a way we can see.

Case in point...anyone reading this probably has a tapeworm cyst somewhere in their body. It's just sitting there, waiting for that peice of muscle to get eaten by something. If you're wondering where you got it from, the last place it was in (before you) was the muscle of a cow or pig...and it was doing the same thing.

I also have a centipede that has been infected with nematodes for 2 years now at least. It was wild caught and fed crickets for awhile, so either of those places could be the source. I've tried changing the substrate, anesthetizing the centipede and washing it with a Q tip...the nematodes are definitely coming from the centipede.

It's lived like that for 18 months since I first noticed the infection.

Now...a lot of parasites get pretty specific to their hosts during the course of evolution. They are very, very sensitive to biochemical cues that guide them to the organs where they live or reproduce.

If they end up in the wrong organism, these signals aren't there and that causes the system to go haywire.

One famous example is an intestinal parasite of racoons, that when in a human will burrow into the eye, liver, heart or brain because it can't find the proper place to go.

There's a term for it...but I can't remember.

The famous nematodes...the ones that make tarantulas look they have rabies...probably aren't natural spider parasites. Most likely, they're parasitic on insects and when they get into a spider, they go overboard on reproduction because the biochemical cues aren't the same.

So...yeah. Long post short, basically everything has parasites (or epiphytes) of some shape or form.

The ones you should worry about are the the vast minority that kill your spider and the only way to avoid them is to raise your own food.

Has anyone noticed that everyone confuses lobster roach penises for nematodes?

Weird.

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This reminds me of a really interesting show I saw on national geographic I think. It described the life cycle of a snail parasite. The parasite used bird droppings as the vector. The snail ate the bird droppings, the eggs in the droppings hatched in the snail. The snail was eaten from the inside out by the worms. The worms made the snail crawl into plain view of birds where it was then eaten. So wierd.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pretty much everything has parasites. Thing is most parasites don't kill their hosts (not directly, anyways).
Death by parasitism is a relic of captivity. In the wild, most animals don't routinely come in contact with their own feces which usually harbor parasites on the way out looking for a new host to infect. They become re-infected over and over...

:?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Death by parasitism is a relic of captivity. In the wild, most animals don't routinely come in contact with their own feces which usually harbor parasites on the way out looking for a new host to infect. They become re-infected over and over...

:?
Depends on the species. I doubt the flies and wasps which periodically end up on the boards after bursting out of tarantulas would have spared their hosts in the wild.

Some parasites go through primary hosts which must be completely different from the secondary host...so on and even so forth sometimes.

So...yeah. Depends on the parasite.