You will never know what is inside...

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Look what I found inside my Misumena vatia crab spider. 4 nematodes, all of them 8 - 13cm long (spider has only 2 cm). I think it was invaded by infective juveniles inside its preys (I've been giving it only insects captured in the field).

Before:

After:

You better be carefull what you are giving to your pets...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, that's scary! :eek: Gorgeous looking spider though, too bad it died. I'm sorry for your loss.:(

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that's scary! :eek: Gorgeous looking spider though, too bad it died. I'm sorry for your loss.:(
Luckily it is very common specie here, in Poland. But I expected to get offspring from her. This time it was bad luck... but I was able to get some very rare pics It cuts both ways :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Luckily it is very common specie here, in Poland. But I expected to get offspring from her. This time it was bad luck... but I was able to get some very rare pics It cuts both ways :)
Well then thats good! :) Yes, very rare and very good pics. What did you end up doing with the nematodes?

Last edited:

OTwolfe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whoa! How did you know they were in the spider? Did you do an autopsy? How common are nematodes in wild spiders?

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whoa! How did you know they were in the spider? Did you do an autopsy? How common are nematoes in wild spiders?
I was just thinking the same thing. Did you perform an autospy when it died or did they burst out, or..

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thats quite out of control!ive never seen something like this.are u sure there nematodes?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow! that is amazing,and they were all inside of her,very interesting!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ew! Invert horror story. To reiterate another posters question, How did you discover them?

Blahbar

Arachnopeon
Once when i was like 10, found a cricket in my room and disposed of it in the toliet. Dont know why but left it there and didnt flush it, when I came back a few hours later to use the toliet I found a huge worm crawing out of the cricket, swiming around in the water. Talk about trama...still have nightmares.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Blahbar, you've just traumatized me, I don't think I can use the toilet ever again.

::shivers uncontrollably::

What the heck, Halloween is next month! :evil:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoa! How did you know they were in the spider? Did you do an autopsy? How common are nematodes in wild spiders?
No, they just disembowel spider and moved outside. I can't tell you how common they are. I started studying literature about "arthropopatogenic" nematodes. I found almost nothing about spider parasites in this group. I think it is still "blank page" in science. I'll prepare short scientific article for one of the polish scientific magazines.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I am sorry for your loss, it was a beautiful spider. =(

They look similar to roundworms to me. I see them every now and then in chicken droppings.

I too have a cricket story. A few years ago we had a very noisy black field cricket in the house. I managed to catch it and I forgot to take it outside, so it sat overnight in a delicup.

I woke up the next morning to the cricket walking around without 15 "ends" of worms sticking out of its cloaca, writhing around like a bowl of maggots. Truly disgusting! :eek:

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Once when i was like 10, found a cricket in my room and disposed of it in the toliet. Dont know why but left it there and didnt flush it, when I came back a few hours later to use the toliet I found a huge worm crawing out of the cricket, swiming around in the water. Talk about trama...still have nightmares.
Sounds like a horsehair worm. The larva are parasites inside insects and when they're about to mature, they release some chemical that makes the insect go drown itself so the adult can emerge. I guess you did the drowning part for it, though {D

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello "Dark Raptor",

you have specified that they do not wish to receive emails via the forum – any way to get in touch with you private?

all the best,
Martin

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While completely disgusting, this does help me to never feed my pets W/C prey.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dark Raptor, I think your problem may be your search terms.

Have you tried entomopathogenic or araneopathogenic?

But, yeah...those are definitely nematodes. No mistaking them. The only other thing they could be are annelids and I don't know of any parasitic annelids off the top of my head (excluding leeches-ectoparasites...not endoparasites). Either way, they don't show any sort of segmentation.

Just goes to show...WC prey is a no-no.