Yep, Kansas again DUW!!!

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spent about 2 hours out this afternoon and fought the extreme wind (40-50mph). I checked a spot I hadn't been to since last spring. I didn't find many S. polymorpha there last year, but this year...WHOAH!!! They were flippin' everywhere. I saw well over 50 today from little 1 inchers to big 6 inchers as in one of the following pics....

First finds, of course, S. polymorpha adult:

Next was a double poly rock: can you spot them both?

Next was an interesting experience. I've seen a lot of copperheads this year, but not four in the same crevice...along with two small timber rattlers (the horridus fled when put the camera up to the crack):

(3)

(4)

This little baby racer followed:

Then some more polymorpha:

another:

Another double polymorpha rock: See 'em?

The coolest find of the day was this TINY neonate red milksnake:

Found this gravid GP skink under a rock:

Toad:

These are EVERYWHERE now, Centruroides vittatus adult female:

Largest Scolopendra polymorpha, about 6":

See the racer, Coluber constrictor:

And to finish off, this picture shows why people from Kansas don't get excited about ringnecks too much:

anyway, hope you enjoyed...until next time...

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holy ringnecks Batman. Freaking awesome! Thats as many snakes as I find in my county in an entire week of herping..........under one rock :wall:

Very nice as always. Two more weeks for me before I can begin doing any real herping.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, more gorgeous coppers! :clap:

The S.polymorpha there are alot bigger then the ones here in my area.

That is alllooooott of ringnecks. I found one out of the whole 18 years I've lived here. You found like 15 under one rock. Very nice.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Man, and I was happy when I cound one D.p.punctatus and you found like 20 D.p.arnyi(?) Thats crazy!

-Sean

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those are some very impressive snake photos!! I cant believe you found that many ring necks under one rock. :eek:

Last edited:

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so about the ringnecks. this picture was taken after i had flipped the rock and set it back down and got my camera ready to go. about half of the snakes had fled between the first and this flipping. i probably flipped about 15-20 rocks that had this many or more ringnecks under it. i didn't flip a SINGLE rock without a ringneck and one piece of carpet i flipped had about 200 or so ringnecks under it. i see about 1000 or more every day i go herping around here...

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't believe that racer sat so pretty for you. Do you carry a cooler around with you? ;)

Spectacular pictures - I can hardly wait to go on Wednesday! (Headed west for C. viridis den sites)

Thanks for sharing, I absolutely love this forum.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so about the ringnecks. this picture was taken after i had flipped the rock and set it back down and got my camera ready to go. about half of the snakes had fled between the first and this flipping. i probably flipped about 15-20 rocks that had this many or more ringnecks under it. i didn't flip a SINGLE rock without a ringneck and one piece of carpet i flipped had about 200 or so ringnecks under it. i see about 1000 or more every day i go herping around here...
No way thats dang nuts!! i only find one or so a year here. Guess there is no way you could send me 2 or 3 of them...
~Samuel

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh wow! Awesome finds dude, that's crazy! Look at all your posts here lol..total amazement!

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, I gotta stop reading your posts, Jordan. Making me jealous. :D Gotta get some time off to go see what I can find around here.

That (sub-?)adult racer is beautiful and....four copperheads in one crevice! That's pretty cool. :cool: