Worried About My Tarantulas

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
On September 15 (two weeks ago), Bulldozer, my female Grammostola pulchra, molted. As far as I could tell, the molt looked normal. All of the parts that should be there are there, including the sucking stomach.

For the last two weeks, I've just been letting Bulldozer rest as she hardens up. Her water dish always has water in it. Last night, I saw her with her legs curled under her but didn't think much of it, because I've seen her (and other tarantulas) in odd positions like this in the weeks following a molt.

However, I started to worry when I checked on her this afternoon and found her in the same position. I am an experienced keeper, so ordinarily, I probably wouldn't be so quick to worry or intervene, but I have had three deaths in the last 12 days (more on that below), so I felt compelled to check on her. Bulldozer is clearly alive but lethargic. I did feel somewhat heartened that she is "fighting me" when I try to move her, but she is not her normal self.

I got Bulldozer over to her water dish and put her there for about 10 minutes in case she was too weak to go get a drink on her own. I am not sure if she actually drank anything. (The yellow thing you see is a mealworm pupa -- normally one of her favorite snacks -- that I tried to give her tonight to see if she would feed.)

Bulldozer is one of my first tarantulas and a personal favorite. I would be gutted to lose her. Is there anything I can do for her, or should I just let her rest and wait? I thought about putting her in a fresh enclosure (even though this is the same enclosure she has lived in for years), but I don't want to cause her any unnecessary distress.

A bit about the deaths, as this may be part of a pattern. On September 17, I lost my Augacephalus ezendami, which I got in 2018 as a sling. I am pretty sure that she failed to molt, because she had sealed off her burrow a few weeks ago, and when I found her, she was on her back and unresponsive, as if she had attempted to molt in her burrow, crawled out, and attempted again outside the burrow. (She was not yet dead when I first found her, but by the next evening, it was clear that she had passed.)

On September 26, I found my Megaphobema robustum dead. I am not sure exactly when she died, as she is a burrower that I rarely see. I did not see any obvious injuries, but it looked like she had been dead for a while, as the body was somewhat desiccated. As far as I can tell, she was eating and looked healthy whenever I saw her out. It is, however, possible that her enclosure got too try. (I know some people have had unexplained deaths with this species.)

Last night, I found my Caribena versicolor sling dead. I have raised a versi from sling to adult before, and I have also successfully raised Avicularia slings to adulthood, so I know how to care for these and how not to set up a death trap. I'd had this sling since December 2021, and she last molted on July 8. As far as I can tell, the molt was normal, and she looked and acted fine in the following two months.

Any one of these deaths I could probably write off as one of those unfortunate losses that hobbyists sometimes experience, but I've never lost three in such a short timeframe, so I am beginning to worry that there is something going on.

The way I've been keeping tarantulas has not changed. However, one thing I can point to that has changed is that we moved out of our apartment into our new house. We do not use pesticides. I don't know what the previous owner of the house may have used over the years, but the rooms where we are staying (we are renovating) were all thoroughly cleaned weeks before we moved in. We are not spraying chemicals in or near the home. We haven't even run the central A/C that services the part of the house where my tarantulas are, because it needs to be replaced.

I am somewhat inclined to think this is not a poisoning in the home, because there were no signs of problems with any of my tarantulas for the first two months we've been living here. However, I can't entirely rule that out, because I simply don't know the home's history prior to us taking possession in March.

One other thing that has changed is that two months ago, we adopted a kitten that was abandoned at the end of my driveway. Our cat lives outside and has no contact with the tarantulas. We do give him Revolution (selamectin), which is a topical medicine that protects him from fleas and ticks, but we always wash our hands after applying it and after handling the cat. So I don't think the cat is an issue.

Maybe I just rolled "snake eyes" with my collection and have experienced a bit of bad luck, with the three deaths being unrelated coincidences, but I can't help but worry that my other tarantulas are at risk. I don't have any obvious leads on what is going on and what I should do to address it. Unfortunately, we have a hurricane bearing down on us, so I am somewhat limited in what I can do immediately.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yikes, so sorry for your losses. That's a lot at once.

Is it possible there was some disturbance during the process of moving? Or is there a chance it's something related to the renovations you mentioned that are in progress (chemicals or anything they might be bringing in that are being spread around the house later)? Are the windows ever open and do neighbors spray any pesticides or chemicals that might have made their way in, even in a diffuse concentration?

If any of those are possible, maybe having a hepa filter / air purifier in the room couldn't hurt?

Fingers crossed for Bulldozer. Hoping your girl pulls through ok.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Wow. I'm so sorry to hear this. I wonder what's going on....so strange. Our thoughts are with you. I hope that Bulldozer and everyone else are OK.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I am sorry hinny, I can't imagine what your going through, but like Lady R I think the most likely thing is maybe something happened as they were moved or dust from renovations being tracked in to the t room somehow or just plain bad luck . All you can do for Bulldozer is fresh water n hope which doesn't help anyone but it is all that can be done, maybe try putting in a lower water dish that she can get to herself either that or sink the dish you have to the same lvl as the sub then leave her be. Hopefully she will pull through.Yous will be in our thoughts hinny good luck to you n Bulldozer I have everything crossed 🤞

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
It could be just coincidence but the house move could be significant. I like the idea mentioned above about neighbours and open windows*. Is there any friends or family nearby who keep T's that could take Bulldozer in temporarily? See if it makes any difference? Could the water supply in this house be different? You'll have to rack your brains to think of anything that's different here. Also anything that could have happened in transporting them?

I hope Bulldozer will be OK. Best of luck to you all with this Hurricane, take care. xx

* Here in the uk a little boy died because his neighbour's boiler was making carbon monoxide and it drifted into the boy's open bedroom window. Could your neighbours have been spraying for roaches or fleas or something?

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
IMHO, this is the worst feeling in the hobby. Veterinary procedures and lab testing are non-existent. Pesticides are invisible, can easily cross contaminate, and have RIDICULOUSLY long half lifes (several days to several months). A lot of the times, when there are medical issues, us keepers just have to watch on in horror, unable to help. It just sucks.....

If I had a gun to my head, I'd have to say there is a potential for selamectin cross contamination here for Bulldozer (the others are less clear). The mode of action for that chemical causes neuromuscular paralysis and impaired muscle contraction prior to the end. I hope I'm wrong. Deep clean or replace all of your husbandry tools. Clean the door knobs, pull cords, and light switches in the room. Remove the lid from her enclosure and clean it, as well as wiping down the outside.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
On September 15 (two weeks ago), Bulldozer, my female Grammostola pulchra, molted. As far as I could tell, the molt looked normal. All of the parts that should be there are there, including the sucking stomach.

For the last two weeks, I've just been letting Bulldozer rest as she hardens up. Her water dish always has water in it. Last night, I saw her with her legs curled under her but didn't think much of it, because I've seen her (and other tarantulas) in odd positions like this in the weeks following a molt.

However, I started to worry when I checked on her this afternoon and found her in the same position. I am an experienced keeper, so ordinarily, I probably wouldn't be so quick to worry or intervene, but I have had three deaths in the last 12 days (more on that below), so I felt compelled to check on her. Bulldozer is clearly alive but lethargic. I did feel somewhat heartened that she is "fighting me" when I try to move her, but she is not her normal self.

I got Bulldozer over to her water dish and put her there for about 10 minutes in case she was too weak to go get a drink on her own. I am not sure if she actually drank anything. (The yellow thing you see is a mealworm pupa -- normally one of her favorite snacks -- that I tried to give her tonight to see if she would feed.)

Bulldozer is one of my first tarantulas and a personal favorite. I would be gutted to lose her. Is there anything I can do for her, or should I just let her rest and wait? I thought about putting her in a fresh enclosure (even though this is the same enclosure she has lived in for years), but I don't want to cause her any unnecessary distress.

A bit about the deaths, as this may be part of a pattern. On September 17, I lost my Augacephalus ezendami, which I got in 2018 as a sling. I am pretty sure that she failed to molt, because she had sealed off her burrow a few weeks ago, and when I found her, she was on her back and unresponsive, as if she had attempted to molt in her burrow, crawled out, and attempted again outside the burrow. (She was not yet dead when I first found her, but by the next evening, it was clear that she had passed.)

On September 26, I found my Megaphobema robustum dead. I am not sure exactly when she died, as she is a burrower that I rarely see. I did not see any obvious injuries, but it looked like she had been dead for a while, as the body was somewhat desiccated. As far as I can tell, she was eating and looked healthy whenever I saw her out. It is, however, possible that her enclosure got too try. (I know some people have had unexplained deaths with this species.)

Last night, I found my Caribena versicolor sling dead. I have raised a versi from sling to adult before, and I have also successfully raised Avicularia slings to adulthood, so I know how to care for these and how not to set up a death trap. I'd had this sling since December 2021, and she last molted on July 8. As far as I can tell, the molt was normal, and she looked and acted fine in the following two months.

Any one of these deaths I could probably write off as one of those unfortunate losses that hobbyists sometimes experience, but I've never lost three in such a short timeframe, so I am beginning to worry that there is something going on.

The way I've been keeping tarantulas has not changed. However, one thing I can point to that has changed is that we moved out of our apartment into our new house. We do not use pesticides. I don't know what the previous owner of the house may have used over the years, but the rooms where we are staying (we are renovating) were all thoroughly cleaned weeks before we moved in. We are not spraying chemicals in or near the home. We haven't even run the central A/C that services the part of the house where my tarantulas are, because it needs to be replaced.

I am somewhat inclined to think this is not a poisoning in the home, because there were no signs of problems with any of my tarantulas for the first two months we've been living here. However, I can't entirely rule that out, because I simply don't know the home's history prior to us taking possession in March.

One other thing that has changed is that two months ago, we adopted a kitten that was abandoned at the end of my driveway. Our cat lives outside and has no contact with the tarantulas. We do give him Revolution (selamectin), which is a topical medicine that protects him from fleas and ticks, but we always wash our hands after applying it and after handling the cat. So I don't think the cat is an issue.

Maybe I just rolled "snake eyes" with my collection and have experienced a bit of bad luck, with the three deaths being unrelated coincidences, but I can't help but worry that my other tarantulas are at risk. I don't have any obvious leads on what is going on and what I should do to address it. Unfortunately, we have a hurricane bearing down on us, so I am somewhat limited in what I can do immediately.
Water supply.
If taps etc. had not been run for a good flush through when you first moved in, there will be stagnant water in pipework dead legs, containing all kinds of bacteria.
Yourself and family probably had no I'll effects, not so with inverts.
Sorry about your loss.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I think @Dry Desert and @Tarantulafeets may be onto something. Maybe try an amalgam of a deep clean of the cages and room + new feeders + using R/O water, but not sure if that will help narrow anything down with that much adjustment. Sorry to hear about your T's.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
My guess would be, pesticides or temperature, there's also the possibility of black mold which I've heard is very toxic.

If I was you I'd get an air quality test and check for black mold.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
We've been without power for the day, and I'm typing on my phone, so I'll keep the initial replies brief.

Update: Bulldozer is in the same position we left her in last night, which was leaning up against the side of the enclosure. She is not in a curl -- her legs are extended -- but she does not appear to have moved.

Water: I've always given them some of my bottled water, so they have not been drinking from the tap here or at my old apartment.

Feeders: They've all been eating from my existing supply of mealworms and dubia roaches, which I have been raising and feeding for several generations. I don't see any obvious signs of problems with the feeders, though yesterday I did set them up in new enclosures and culled a bunch I don't need. (They were getting a bit overcrowded.)

Renovations: My husband is currently doing all of the work himself, and he hasn't been doing anything that kicks up dust or that involves chemicals. In fact, he hasn't even gotten to the kitchen (where my spiders are currently staying) yet. A lot of what he has been doing is outside prep work.

Neighbors: We know that our nearest neighbor is pretty eco-friendly, so I doubt they're using anything, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't know the other neighbors, so that would make for an interesting introduction!

Thank you to everyone who commented. I'll follow up with any updates or clarifications once we get power restored.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Update: I moved Bulldozer to my bedroom, which has a HEPA filter running and is currently several degrees warmer than the room with all of my other tarantulas. She finally moved her butt out of the water dish, and she was grooming a little while ago. (Then she put her butt back in the water dish.) I will try feeding her this weekend to see if she will eat.

Benzen

Arachnopeon
However, one thing I can point to that has changed is that we moved out of our apartment into our new house.
Maybe the previous residents cleaned the apartment with something harmful for Ts, maybe even used lots pesticides or something which is still lingering around. Man, that sucks.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with @l4nsky that it could be a cross contamination with the pesticide with your cat I go I had to bet, it’s the one variable that actually can cause death

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
During the week, Bulldozer continued not to move much, although a couple of nights ago, she did haul herself over to the other side of the enclosure, and she reached out with one palp to touch a mealworm pupa I gave her.

I checked on Bulldozer again this morning, and she was dead. She looks very healthy -- you wouldn't even know she was dead just by looking.

I don't see any obvious injuries. However, she had been very lethargic ever since she molted on September 15; I think whatever it was that happened to her is related to the molt.

This loss has been harder on me than any of the other tarantulas I've lost over the years. Bulldozer was one of my favorites; I've had her for seven years, ever since she was an industrious little sling.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
She was a beautiful T. Feel free to share stories about her if you have them and want to share. I am sorry you are going through this. It is amazing how these little animals can bulldoze their way into our lives.