World's deadliest scorpion?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
So I think that it is either the A. Mauritanicus or the A. Australis...

I wouldn't discount H. tamulus and H. lepturus. Even though the former once held the world's highest death rate mainly due to the fact they didn't have prazosin until around 1980 (post-1980 saw a massive reduction in the death rate) and India's education regarding scorpions and treatment of severe envenomation including the clinics especially in rural areas were sorely lacking. Androctonus australis gets alot attention because it inhabits more countries and therefore responsible for more stings. But yeah, A. mauritanicus might be the deadlier between the two.

AndroctonusMan

Arachnosquire
Very interesting... I guess I might have to get an A. Mauritanicus to say "I have the world's deadliest scorpion" lol. I've got an A. Australis and a Deathstalker. I found this LD50 table thing. https://members.tripod.com/~c_kianwee/rpotent.htm It has the A. Australis at the top with an LD50 of 0.32. (lower the more potent) Idk if that changes anything with it being at the top. The A. Mauritanicus has an LD50 of 0.31. Then they say the Deathstalker has an LD50 of 0.25. The H. Tamulus isn't even on the table thing, but I am pretty much blind so it could be there lol.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Very interesting... I guess I might have to get an A. Mauritanicus to say "I have the world's deadliest scorpion" lol. I've got an A. Australis and a Deathstalker. I found this LD50 table thing. It has the A. Australis at the top with an LD50 of 0.32. (lower the more potent) Idk if that changes anything with it being at the top. The A. Mauritanicus has an LD50 of 0.31. Then they say the Deathstalker has an LD50 of 0.25. The H. Tamulus isn't even on the table thing, but I am pretty much blind so it could be there lol.
LD50 tables is a rabbit hole, these toxic studies were conducted on mice what is most lethal to mice may not be the most lethal to humans. It just provides a guide of a sort. That table is also out of date in regards to Buthus occitanus.

AndroctonusMan

Arachnosquire
On the LD50 table you sent me, they have the A. Mauritanicus with an LD50 of 0.32 which is the same as A. Australis. Once again the Deathstalker still has the lowest LD50 with 0.25... and a few other Androctonus have 0.31... You are right though, LD50 tests are completely different that human envenomation. For me, I think it is either the A. Australis, A. Mauritanicus or Deathstalker. Maybe the Indian Red but I highly doubt it.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
On the LD50 table you sent me, they have the A. Mauritanicus with an LD50 of 0.32 which is the same as A. Australis. Once again the Deathstalker still has the lowest LD50 with 0.25... and a few other Androctonus have 0.31... You are right though, LD50 tests are completely different that human envenomation. For me, I think it is either the A. Australis, A. Mauritanicus or Deathstalker. Maybe the Indian Red but I highly doubt it.
Adult fatalities from Leiurus quinquestriatus are very rare but it can cause severe envenomation in adults (morbidity). It also injects a low average of venom per sting (.225mg).

Here are two Israeli clinical studies on Leiurus (likely hebraeus):

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You need to keep the concept of proximity in mind. An animal may have a more potent or less potent venom, but the species that is more commonly found near human habitations will have a higher envenomation frequency.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
You need to keep the concept of proximity in mind. An animal may have a more potent or less potent venom, but the species that is more commonly found near human habitations will have a higher envenomation frequency.
Exactly - and Any test carried out, in laboratory conditions or field research, depends entirely on how pissed off that particular scorpion is at that precise time. If dry stings or low quantity amounts are injected any testing will be completely irrelevant.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Well, I rely on epidemiological surveys or scorpionism case studies. Death rates is the percentage from total sum of stings resulted in mortality or deaths. The total sum can be tens, hundreds, or thousands.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Last edited:

AndroctonusMan

Arachnosquire
Wikipedia is useless for great scorpion information. This is just a simple blanket statement, but mauritanicus is suspected of being more deadlier than australis. Maybe toxicologist know this answer but haven't exactly shared it publically.
Hmmm, so I guess case closed? The A. Mauritanicus is probably the world's deadliest scorpion. Still want to hear what other people say though. I bought myself an A. Mauritanicus and it should be here on Tuesday, and he's coming with an Arizona Bark. I want to try to get the world's deadliest scorpions lol.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
It really doesn't matter, all of them only kill people if you are allergic, they will all give you a bad time.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Hmmm, so I guess case closed? The A. Mauritanicus is probably the world's deadliest scorpion. Still want to hear what other people say though. I bought myself an A. Mauritanicus and it should be here on Tuesday, and he's coming with an Arizona Bark. I want to try to get the world's deadliest scorpions lol.
Can I ask why you are trying to get the world's deadliest scorpions ?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
It really doesn't matter, all of them only kill people if you are allergic, they will all give you a bad time.
It's not that your allergic per se but if you are immunocompromised and/or have a chronic health condition this can lead to co-morbidity - hypertension, diabetes, etc. Medically significant scorpions can pose a genuine mortal hazard to this high risk group.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
If you are looking for "deadliest" then you will most likely find regular ass bugs and a anaphylactic reaction. I don't think the Deathstalker can drop a healthy adult. I would haver to agree with @AndroctonusMan. A. Australis is a scary, scary scorpion to come across.