World's deadliest scorpion?

AndroctonusMan

Arachnosquire
I have heard that the National Geographic said that the Indian Red Scorpion (H. Tamulus) is the world's deadliest scorpion. I see that they posted that in 2013...
I also have heard that the Deathstalker scorpion (Leiurus quinquestriatus) could be the world's deadliest scorpion (I can't find any links saying the Deathstalker is the deadliest, I have only seen people say it is in the YT comment sections and such). In 2018 the Guinness World Records says the Tunisian/Yellow Fat Tail (Androctonus Australis) is the world's deadliest scorpion. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-venomous-scorpion So who am I suppose to believe here?? I personally think that the Androctonus would be the most venomous cause it looks like it is the most recent...

Colin93

Arachnoknight
There are a couple of contenders, deathstalker, yellow fat tail, a lot say Indian red scorpions are the deadliest. I think when it comes to that level of venom they are all bad news to the point it makes no real difference which is most deadly. Although I would also like a definitive answer to this.

AndroctonusMan

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I would love to see EXACTLY which is the deadliest. Most of the sites that say the Indian Red have scorpions such as the Arizona Bark Scorpion on the list which is completely false. They pale in comparison to some Hottentotta, Parabuthas, and Androctonus species. So those websites most likely don't know what they are talking about. I really think it is between the Deathstalker and Yellow Fat Tail. I personally think it is the Yellow Fat Tail just cause of the massive tail with the black telson. Also, the Guinness World Records said that it is too so, I don't really know...

AndroctonusMan

Arachnosquire
Btw you know any websites in the U.S. that are selling the Indian Red. I am trying to get the "world's deadliest scorpions". I got the Yellow Fat Tail and the Deathstalker but can't find any Indian Reds...

Colin93

Arachnoknight
Personally I would agree with you with it been one of those two, but then again there are apparently around 1500 undiscovered species still so who knows, there could be one even more deadly than them both.. but I would like to see which of those two were most deadly. Apparently a deathstalker is not considered deadly to a healthy adult human

Colin93

Arachnoknight
Btw you know any websites in the U.S. that are selling the Indian Red. I am trying to get the "world's deadliest scorpions". I got the Yellow Fat Tail and the Deathstalker but can't find any Indian Reds...
No idea I'm afraid, I'm from the UK and it's difficult to find a deathstalker here haha

AndroctonusMan

Arachnosquire
Personally I would agree with you with it been one of those two, but then again there are apparently around 1500 undiscovered species still so who knows, there could be one even more deadly than them both.. but I would like to see which of those two were most deadly. Apparently a deathstalker is not considered deadly to a healthy adult human
Yeah, there have been many adult deaths with the Yellow Fat Tail...

AndroctonusMan

Arachnosquire
My money would be on the fat tail then, maybe we need a couple of volunteer's to test this theory out for us lol
Yeah, I would like to hear what other people think about it. And as you said, there are 1500 different types of scorpions out there, if not, more. There could be a scorpion that is much more venomous than either of those two. This website shows the LD50 values of the scorpions. A. Australis comes in with an LD50 value of 0.32. (Lower the more potent btw) A. Crassicauda with a LD50 of 0.40 but then it says a 0.08 which is insane... L. Quinquestriatus with an LD50 of 0.25. For some reason the A. Australis is at the top though... Here is the website https://members.tripod.com/~c_kianwee/rpotent.htm

Colin93

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I would like to hear what other people think about it. And as you said, there are 1500 different types of scorpions out there, if not, more. There could be a scorpion that is much more venomous than either of those two. This website shows the LD50 values of the scorpions. A. Australis comes in with an LD50 value of 0.32. (Lower the more potent btw) A. Crassicauda with a LD50 of 0.40 but then it says a 0.08 which is insane... L. Quinquestriatus with an LD50 of 0.25. For some reason the A. Australis is at the top though... Here is the website https://members.tripod.com/~c_kianwee/rpotent.htm
That is pretty interesting actually, thank you I will take a look at that

Colin93

Arachnoknight
Need a DWA licence for them as well right?
Yeah unfortunately, in cities it can be a couple of thousand to apply, pay vet bills and everything else you need to acquire one, luckily I live in a small village in the countryside, I contacted my council and I can get one for about £300 if I ever decide to get a deathstalker so that's a bonus of living in the middle of nowhere haha

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I have heard that the National Geographic said that the Indian Red Scorpion (H. Tamulus) is the world's deadliest scorpion. I see that they posted that in 2013...
I also have heard that the Deathstalker scorpion (Leiurus quinquestriatus) could be the world's deadliest scorpion (I can't find any links saying the Deathstalker is the deadliest, I have only seen people say it is in the YT comment sections and such). In 2018 the Guinness World Records says the Tunisian/Yellow Fat Tail (Androctonus Australis) is the world's deadliest scorpion. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-venomous-scorpion So who am I suppose to believe here?? I personally think that the Androctonus would be the most venomous cause it looks like it is the most recent...
H.tamulus is considered to be the most deadliest only because it has the nasty habit of entering homes at night in some of the most remote areas of India, therefore the percentage of deaths per head of population is higher. LQ is still considered to be the most deadliest due to it's mixed cocktail of venom.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
There are many contenders for the deadliest scorpions:

Androctonus australis (leading cause of human fatalities by scorpion stings in most North Africa countries)

Androctonus mauritanicus (leading cause of human fatalities by scorpion stings in Morocco, this maybe the deadliest Androctonus species if not it is a serious contender)

Androctonus crassicauda (leading cause of human fatalities by scorpion sting in most Asian countries particularly the Arab world)

Hottentotta tamulus (once the world leader of human fatalities by scorpion stings due to high densities of human populations in its habitats its statistical numbers have been dramatically reduced by education and medical advancements with a blood pressure medication called prazosin)

Leiurus quinquestriatus (this species does not cohabitat human populations like the Androctonus the latter which is notorious for stinging people in their homes or on their property, also noted for it's relatively low venom yield per sting, and adult fatalities are very rare. However, severe envenomations in adults that leads to morbidity and require hospitalization are said to be quite bad though not necessarily life threatening)

Hemiscorpius lepturus (leading cause of human deaths by scorpion stings in Iran followed by Androctonus crassicauda)

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Please bear in mind, scorpion fatalities in healthy adults is rare but stings can lead to morbidity (and hospitalization). And most countries do not have the antivenom available outside the species natural distribution.

AK47

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't know why ya'll discussiong which is the deadliest scorpion. Your answer is in plain sight ! Look at the names!

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Don't know why ya'll discussiong which is the deadliest scorpion. Your answer is in plain sight ! Look at the names!

I named 5 species of scorpion that have higher death rates than the Deathstalker. Though the stings from the Deathstalker happen less frequently the death rate still remains lower. We also have to take into account unreported stings too.