Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

World's biggest Spider?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by MaximusMeridus, May 29, 2009.

1. jme

jme Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    ohhh man imagine how mean and scarry that H. Lividum would be with fangs the size or a small cat :wicked:

2. Sathane

Sathane Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

Photoshop.

3. agama

agama Arachnosquire

so they arent really that big

4. Dave

Dave Arachnobaron

correct :clap: {D

5. Lennie Collins

Lennie Collins Arachnobaron

What the fungk?:confused: :wall: :mad: :eek:

6. MaximusMeridus

MaximusMeridus Arachnopeon

UK
    A fogger is great and had a digital humidity gauge which set off the fogger when dropped below 85%, really nice effect too T seemed to like it.
    Maplins link

7. MaximusMeridus

UK
    lol I think you're confusing these people, genuine pics only fellas (would be a nice one though)

8. treeweta

treeweta Arachnobaron Old Timer

id be more prepared to accept the rather simpler explanation that this spider has a 27cm legspan and a 43 mm carapace neither of which are unknown in blondis.

a 6 inch ruler feigning a 12 inch ruler would give a spider almost 2 feet across and nobody is going to fall for that. of course that could be a 5.5 inch blondi on that false ruler but the proportions on that animal suggest a big one.

9. treeweta

treeweta Arachnobaron Old Timer

i never see these as size contests, to my mind its a simple verification of how big a theraphosa can get which i find is something i like to know.

10. Sathane

Agreed. That's an extreme difference, however, dimensions can be falsified by a few centimetres and still seem plausible.

I'm satisfied with the OP's proofs though.

11. deathcrew

deathcrew Arachnoknight Old Timer

PA
    I don't care what anybody says that's awesome!!:worship:

12. Merfolk

Merfolk Arachnoprince Old Timer

At 5 yrs old, my blondi is at 9" and still looks like a teenager. No doubt that with proper care, some among us might get giants like this.

13. matthias

matthias Arachnobaron

Satisfied with the size, but it looks like a T. apophysis to me. So Rob's Zila is safe for the worlds largest blondi.

She was a monster. I'm so sorry for your loss.

14. MaximusMeridus

UK
    Hi Matthias,

It is actually a T.blondi. not T.apophysis. Apophysis has a very slender build, nothing like blondi's, i know I have had many. T.apophysis dimensions are very different, it always surprises me how people keep mixing them up.

As for Rob's Zilla, well I have yet to see anything other than a video...

Cheerio

15. Sathane

Saying "World's Largest T. blondi" doesn't make sense.
    A more correct title would be, "Largest T. blondi That Has Been Posted On AB With The Most Convincing Evidence".

16. matthias

matthias Arachnobaron

I to have owned, and do own several of each, though I admit none as big as your girl was.
    I won't argue. I will only explain my thinking.
    Yes T. apophysis are more slender than T. blondi but I would not say "very" compaired to anything else. For a >11" animal I would have expected the legs to be even bigger for a blondi. I've owned blondi with 1cm leg segments that were not close to 11".
    That and the oval shape and raised front of the carapace are typical of a T. apophysis. Blondi's are usually rounder and "flatter", at least by the eyes.
    As far as I know the only true way to tell the difference is that T. apophysis have stradulating organs on more appendages that T. blondi.

Regardless she was beautiful, and I am sorry for your loss.

I'll let Rob defend Zila's title but I do know there were some official measurements.

17. robc

robc Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I have to say that regardless of whose is bigger or anything else - you had yourself a very beautiful girl there and I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Here is a pic of her last molt:

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of her molt next to my 5" B.smithi's molt:

[​IMG]

I am just posting these for reference, I'm not about to get into another argument. LOL Trust me, someone will eventually say something about any pics posted, someone always does. But it doesn't really matter to me, they are both big spiders! :D

18. Kris-wIth-a-K

Kris-wIth-a-K Arachnoprince Old Timer

There she is!! I would vote rob has the bigger t.

19. jbm150

jbm150 Arachnoprince

That is an awesome pic Rob, of the smithi and blondi molts together. That really puts their size in perspective! Thanks for that

20. MaximusMeridus

UK
    I know her photos don't look that good, colours fade after driying and freezing. These were pictures before her last moult, has a typical blondi look. As with Humans and indeed all animal species, proportions differ considerably though I must say she is very bulky. Some blondi's were bred a with shorter chunkier stump legs. A lot depends on conditions, diet, burrow size, regional variation etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.