Wild Caught Brachypelma albopilosum from Nicaragua

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Recently molted 4.25" inch wild caught female Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaraguan". She is stunning!
I just might purchase more of this species and not sell any of my other females. I'm really enjoying having this species.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Interesting thread. Does make me wonder if there are two forms of the curly hair. I won't deny that inbreeding could have caused the difference in appearance, but I do think it possible that the collection location of our older albos could be different from the newer wild caught imports.

Also, for those who are against wild caught specimens - I don't see the harm of it if they are going to individuals who will breed and thus strengthen the blood lines of our current captive bred specimens, especially with species that will go extinct due to habitat destruction. I can see being against wild caught if they are being collected from truly protected areas and then just sent to corporate stores that will sell them to people who will likely never breed. I'm not saying go crazy encouraging wild caught specimens, but I don't think we should avoid them either. I think the best chance for some species IS to be brought into captivity for the purpose of breeding. I think many will go extinct if not for a dedicated hobby.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let's put this two photos to compare. One as you know a wild caught from Nicaragua. The other is my 2009 CB hobby form albopilosum. Both specimens were recently molted for the photo that was taken.

Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaraguan" Wild Caught Female "2016".

Brachypelma albopilosum CB Hobby Form Female "2009".

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Let's put this two photos to compare. One as you know a wild caught from Nicaragua. The other is my 2009 CB hobby form albopilosum. Both specimens were recently molted for the photo that was taken.

Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaraguan" Female

Brachypelma albopilosum CB 2009 Hobby form Female
There's subtle differences in the two. Both beautiful.

Walter1

Arachnosquire
Beautiful. As a beginner I see the that they're close. But I think I'm gonna be wanting a m & f wild caught and I'll need to get man for my lady when she matures
I prefer the WCs as well. Keeping breeding lines separate.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I prefer the WCs as well. Keeping breeding lines separate.
Yes. They must be kept separate. My CB is from Honduras and it looks like the WC is from Nicaragua. So different enviroment living spaces huh? Different food. Different land and water. Have you noticed any differences between the two temperament and physical needs?

Walter1

Arachnosquire
Yes. They must be kept separate. My CB is from Honduras and it looks like the WC is from Nicaragua. So different enviroment living spaces huh? Different food. Different land and water. Have you noticed any differences between the two temperament and physical needs?
I'll say no difference that I can see in disposition. Care also seems the same. Hard to say how different they are from hobby form/ forms, BUT they are different enough to warrant separation. Really, it's too bad that science isn't there before the pet collectors!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My wild caught albopilosum jump like Avicularia species. Not kidding.
Not so simple. If somebody's taking species in a way that destroys that species and its environment, then I think that should be illegal. If humans have destroyed the environment to the false god of progress and the species is in danger of becoming extinct ala India with the pokies, then doing a liberation raid should be legal.
Especially since government doesn't care. How many animals are on the brink of extinction?
Maybe the time will come that only people who are breeding will be allowed to keep Ts. Shiver.
And the thought of a jumping b. albopilosum is scary:rolleyes:!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not so simple. If somebody's taking species in a way that destroys that species and its environment, then I think that should be illegal. If humans have destroyed the environment to the false god of progress and the species is in danger of becoming extinct ala India with the pokies, then doing a liberation raid should be legal.
Especially since government doesn't care. How many animals are on the brink of extinction?
Maybe the time will come that only people who are breeding will be allowed to keep Ts. Shiver.
And the thought of a jumping b. albopilosum is scary:rolleyes:!
I know it sounds crazy it ain't no joke. It gashappen to means several other keepers. They're flipping neat.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Mature Males:

This is a CB Brachypelma albopilosum "Hobby Form" possibly hybrid vagans mature male 2014.

This is a wild caught Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaraguan" 2016.

Iska

Arachnopeon
Personally I don't think anyone should be able to acquire WC species directly unless they are affiliated with a breeding program that is regulated by some form of governing body.
i.e. specific Zoo's, Universities, etc..
And THEN from those places specimens should be firstly made available to reputable sellers/breeders in the business.
A girl can dream right???

Buying WC specimens without knowing where/how they came into your hands is irresponsible.
Yes it "strengthens" bloodline - but it also strengthens a possibly illegal harmful industry. To what ends are these specimens being harvested? How are they being collected? Are they destroying habitat in the process? Are they being collected ethically and below a level at which could hurt a wild population? Are they being collected from one specific area that happens to be an important colony that supports other fragmented colonies through genetic dispersion and if depleted could cause genetic depression in those other populations?
Just my two cents for 0$ - I don't mean to be rude, I just want to protect species I love.

Last edited:

Iska

Arachnopeon
What's sad about the albopilosum that there are a few people that I have spoken with don't care about breeding wild caught to wild caught specimens they rather try to breed the wild caught with the captive born specimens which in this case in my opinion is ridiculous. We have a chance to improve the future stock of the albopilosum and to learn of not repeating the mistakes that was once done.

I guess you can't win them all.
If you breed WC strictly with WC you're just doing what has already been done in the past all over again. It would make more sense to add genetic diversity to the CB specimens. Traits get homogenized due to CB nature - but inputting WC genetics would make them again more diverse and add more WC dominant alleles that "CB/WC spiderlings" would display.

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Personally I don't think anyone should be able to acquire WC species directly unless they are affiliated with a breeding program that is regulated by some form of governing body.
i.e. specific Zoo's, Universities, etc..
And THEN from those places specimens should be firstly made available to reputable sellers/breeders in the business.
A girl can dream right???

Buying WC specimens without knowing where/how they came into your hands is irresponsible.
Yes it "strengthens" bloodline - but it also strengthens a possibly illegal harmful industry. To what ends are these specimens being harvested? How are they being collected? Are they destroying habitat in the process? Are they being collected ethically and below a level at which could hurt a wild population? Are they being collected from one specific area that happens to be an important colony that supports other fragmented colonies through genetic dispersion and if depleted could cause genetic depression in those other populations?
Just my two cents for 0$ - I don't mean to be rude, I just want to protect species I love.
Am on the fence. If somebody could prove to me that the wc are being collected legally and little harm occured (there's always going to be some impact whatever our best intentions). I love the look and I understand the need for a fresh breeding stock. I also hate the idea of interbreeding cb specimens. I absolutely despise destruction of the environment. Some sort of agreement should be made to bring all parties together. Should these wc be sold only to serious, conscientious breeders? Maybe. Is the spiders' habitat being destroyed by greedy nationals ala India did the Poekies? If so, time to do serious raids to liberate these creatures (and others) before they go way of the dodo bird and the almost totally slaughtered bison.
I know I'm writing a book here. But I would want to breed wc to wc. I happen to agree with you about depleting the genetic pool. And there shouldn't be inbreeding or we'll be in the same mess.
Enough said o_O