Wild Caught Brachypelma albopilosum from Nicaragua

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
I just got a B.albo female that looks quite similar to Tom's from the Nicaraguan Import. I noticed several vendor's at the Oaks, PA show had these curly hairs that were quite similar to the Nicaragua import and not so similar to the hobby form. How large was the Nicaragua import?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got a B.albo female that looks quite similar to Tom's from the Nicaraguan Import. I noticed several vendor's at the Oaks, PA show had these curly hairs that were quite similar to the Nicaragua import and not so similar to the hobby form. How large was the Nicaragua import?
Honestly I have the slightest clue on how many. The only thing so far though is there were large numbers of them. That's all I know.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my opinion it is a huge blessing the wild caught N.B.a. came into the U.S. This will give us the opportunity to test: 1. If we keep the bloodlines pure and only breeding the wild caught offspring to different wild caught offspring (try to get as diverse, from a different locality, and to be brought in a different time as well by the importers) 2. If we breed only the off spring of the same tarantula G-1 to G-2 etc...3. If we breed wild caught specimens to hobby form.....What exactly pure bred, inbreeding, or cross breeding will do to this beautiful creation.

May prove, for this specie at least, if there is any problem with in breeding, pure blood breeding, or cross breeding (to hobby form only), and what they look like ;)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Why is the difference so drastic? Inbreeding? Hybridizing?
The hobby forms have been inbred, cross bred, and hybridized for years. It's best to keep these new imports separate from the hobby form, or we will end up with the same watered down version of albopilosum that we've had for years. If you see one on a dealers table, don't just assume its one of the Nicaraguan imports, ask the dealer where they came from. If he doean't know, don't buy it. I saw a dealer this weekend that had the imports on his table right next to hobby forms. They were all labeled "Brachypelam albopilosum". The reptile importers and dealers that are selling these could care less about keeping them pure, they are just in it to make a few bucks on the side.

Later, Tom

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The hobby forms have been inbred, cross bred, and hybridized for years. It's best to keep these new imports separate from the hobby form, or we will end up with the same watered down version of albopilosum that we've had for years. If you see one on a dealers table, don't just assume its one of the Nicaraguan imports, ask the dealer where they came from. If he doean't know, don't buy it. I saw a dealer this weekend that had the imports on his table right next to hobby forms. They were all labeled "Brachypelam albopilosum". The reptile importers and dealers that are selling these could care less about keeping them pure, they are just in it to make a few bucks on the side.

Could the differences be, at least partly, due to different collecting sites? The name 'Honduran Curly Hair" has been around since the 1970's.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I read an article recently about a population of P hanuma being wiped out when a forest was cut down in SW India. These animals are not safe in their native habitats. In the last few decades there have been declines in a number of animal's populations throughout the world. What's happening in Africa is horrible.
True, but WC isn't the answer for that. That's not the answer for defend those against greed, money, globalism. No one care about T's, no one cared, it's normal, because only few today really care about something (and i'm not talking about T's).

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Could the differences be, at least partly, due to different collecting sites? The name 'Honduran Curly Hair" has been around since the 1970's.
For sure , that's partly the reason. As well as being mixed with vagans and god knows what else in the hobby. With out knowing the history or background of hobby albopilosum, who knows.

Later, Tom

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
For sure , that's partly the reason. As well as being mixed with vagans and god knows what else in the hobby. With out knowing the history or background of hobby albopilosum, who knows.

Later, Tom
I read that as vegans.

Are the offspring of vagans x albo fertile?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Later, Tom
So then we seek out pictures of wild caught specimens or specimens from Honduras to compare to the Nicaraguan curly hair. Futhermore, Tom it is not only important that we keep them separate, but also look for other N.B.a that are not siblings as best we can to ensure no inbreeding. However, I still think a specific test to prove this once and for all would be beneficial although it will take quite some time to prove G-2 to other G-2 with no immediately known relations.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tom speaks sense. That is all.
The other day I was thing about Stewart Longhorn on how great it would be to see all those Acanthoscurria species that you might of taken when you went on your trip. And here you are on this thread I would love to know or see if you have any additional info about the geniculata vs brocklehursti. If you do please go on my old thread and post here is the link http://arachnoboards.com/threads/the-two-versions-of-a-geniculata-and-a-brocklehursti.273521/

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I received my shipment today an hour ago, four came in on this order one mature male that looks fantastic and three adult females. And of course like any other wild caught specimens that I usually receive spiders are dehydrated. The mature male leg span is about 6" inches stretched out. Here are a few photos of them.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
they are so fluffy compared to the hobby form. I remember mine from the early 80's its curly hair was so dense you could hardly see the leg.
Nice acquisitions Jose