Wiki entries

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw Nicolai Pedersen get bitten by two seperate P.miranda on the same arm.

But he didn't go to hospital because he is rock hard ;)
:rolleyes:

Ontopic:

Nice entry, but tescos raised some valid points about its contents.
And sources, we need sources, lest we build paper houses.

Of course, if both things are done, it could potentially become rather dry and dreary, but so is the way it goes.

Last edited:

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Greetings to you to.
I am pretty sure most T people want p.metallica pretty bad, which si good enough to call it holy grail, imo..
There it is again in my opinion. Thats why it the statement doesn't add up because there are an awful lot of people who would not agree with this.

I have lived in several countries. And last time I checked, a person would be considered uneducated at best if they didn't know the course of dollar to local currency. Not to mention the fact that most wiki articles use American currency. Furthermore, I think most online T dealers are in the USA; so the figure seems relevant to me
Did I say it had anything to do with exchange rates? For example in the US I am led to believe that Cyriopagopus sp `blue´ spiderlings go for around the 90 Dollar range or? Yet in Europe they are around the 10 Euro range last show I was at. Forgive me if I am wrong as I am not kind of Banker (although I suspect your thinking that I am some kind of thing that rymes with Banker at this point) yet I do not think that 10 Euros = 90 Dollars or? Can you see my point in this? Ah well irelevent as it is I am sure for you.

Gender matters period. The sentence is grammatically valid :p. This is not very specific to metallica. But I don't expect people reading this page to be aware of general T pricing and aging. 12 years is the estimate the dealers gave me. Good enough.
You miss the point again I think. I am sure people don't pay out such money just to get females or? I find myself mainly buying males these days for breeding purposes and if needed would gladly spend out more on them than more females that are no use to me. I do see your point of course but to make it clearer why it matters would not be too hard or? so it is an estimate based of other Poecilotheria species then. Sure thats find but added in the information does no harm.

As for environment, I think a generic description is good enough for wiki. Although elaboration is obviously good.
If you think so then sure fine by me, and if it wasn't then tough cheese to me I say.
Eh, metallica and pokies in general are faster than anything else I have..
Can't say that they are much faster than most things to be honest.

Wow, you sound rather hypocritical to me. You don't have the time to write a short wiki page, but you have the time to crap on my effort in a big forum post? Very nice.
Ah but I never said I never had the time to write it did I. I said that I never had the time to research it, although that also is a bit of a lie as I do, it's just I can not be arsed to and don't really want to either.
Sure I have the time to crap on that effort you made after all I did didn't I? I thought that piece of it was crap! Sorry but there you go thats what I thought so that is what I said. I have also now put my reasons for thinking this, which granted if I was a better person I would have put in my first post, but alas I am not so did not, yet it appears my reasons are not good ones at all . Not a big suprise that to be honest.;) :rolleyes:

For Cacoseraph:-

oh, and tescos' posts are typically negative. and it is not unusual to find posts that took quite a bit of time posting to make someone feel stupid.
Interesting one that, mostly because I am really suprised my posts are ever read by people! Hey if you feel stupid by reading stupid things I write, then the chances are you are already stupid and I am sorry but I am not taking the blame for that if you are.

the posts typically do contain good technical information
Why thank you I am so glad you aprove.
but lack any sort of couth one would expect from an adult posting on an international forum
Opps spoke to soon :rolleyes: so sorry I don't live to your expectations.....then again no Im not!
his posts hint and a deep unresolved bitterness a lot of times.
Thats it you have got it!:clap: Now how much do I need to pay for this highly professional evaluation on my state of mind. I will in future open up to you oh master of the couch if only that it means I will get better just a little. Oh and as you can see such enlightenment from my posts let me share with you what enlightenment I can see from your pic:-
Your the man in town to call when you wish to learn the useless art of balanceing a centepide on your nose!

Oh cheers also for the imput into me on this thread. I'm sure in the long run it will prove most useful on the Poecilotheria metallica page on Wilki!:rolleyes:

All the best
Chris:)

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Chris you crack me up.:D

I'm still curious as to where the 6-8" information was found.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Or because he recieved two dry bites.
:rolleyes:
No, they were not dry bites, dry bites do not swell up and become red within seconds.

They were only about 1.5" specimens though ;)

What's with all the rolleyes? It was a light-hearted comment, do they not give people a sense of humour in the States?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tescos,

I still think most people want metallica.

You have a good point about currency. But I have no idea how pokies sell in Europe. I think providing US info is better than none. Btw, singapore blues go for 40-50$ as babies here. 100-150$ as adults.

Usually female prices are larger, usually... I think it would be best if the community made a wiki page on T pricing and just link there from metallica page.

I guess there are faster spider around but I haven't seen them. :rolleyes:

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lorgakor, actually I don't really know about legspan. However, when I was shopping for my metallica, people repeatedly pointed me to p. regalis and said they were pretty much the same. But yeah, that could use some verification. Still, I bet the estimate isn't too far off.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
man I still think you got the right idea on the general aspects of this species. I think people are being a little harsh and mean. Some people on here are hipocritical. But we also do need a accurate account so some people have a point. But come on guys, at least say good job before you blast off on the corrections that need to be made.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Lorgakor, actually I don't really know about legspan. However, when I was shopping for my metallica, people repeatedly pointed me to p. regalis and said they were pretty much the same. But yeah, that could use some verification. Still, I bet the estimate isn't too far off.
Okay cool, thanks for the reply.:)

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol, indeed. Thanks guys.

Froggyman,

you can post rough drafts here which we, English speakers, can edit for posterity's benefit.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tarantulas and gender

Actually, I think that gender, sex debate is quite flawed. As a teenager when I came out of the closet, I learned a LOT about sex, gender, sexual behavior and sexual identity, and I think that definition is lacking in a few ways.

I think that gender is fine. If they could cross-dress, then I might be concerned about it's use.
Precisely my point. Regardless of your definition of gender (there are many and the subject is even more contentious than the Holy Grail!), it is an inappropriate utilization of the word IMHO. So maybe I can back my a** up a little here. Me: Social Scientist with degrees in Cultural Anthropology and Sociology; emphasis on gender studies. 2 decades of work as a sociologist teaching at the 5th grade through university level on sex, culture and gender. I am going to go out on a limb here, agree with Dr. Ace and suggest that tarantulas don't do gender! So, I did a little research as I'm apt to do and can anecdotally say that I'm quite sure they don't. Several cases in point:
When my T's get together, the males do not hang out in the den watching basketball, nor do the females hang in the kitchen making roach casserole for the guys.
I stopped by the gym this morning, and they have no tarantulas listed in their membership (you know, lifting weights to highlight their secondary sex characteristics), BUT the locker room attendant is pretty sure he caught a penultimate male sneaking a glance at another T's hooks and gloves in the shower. I asked whether either of them shaved their chest to enhance their musculature, and he responded, "duh, their muscles are internal!". Oops, I didn't claim to be an expert on T's, just gender.
Stopped at the mall to inquire whether tarantulas enjoy shopping for gender accoutrements. Apparently, they don't shop at the MAC counter for makeup, ditto for Victoria's Secret, and Fashion Bug. I DID find some tarantulas at the crappy mall pet store, but I'm pretty sure they are NOT enjoying the experience, as evidenced by their distinct lack of bags from Macy's. I will not verify the validity of this research, but I think that the probability is quite low, so I'm not going to publish anytime soon:rolleyes:

The subject being discussed in the Wiki entry was distinctions between the lifespan of male/female tarantulas. These do not differ because of their gender, unless male tarantulas have short lifespans due to their engaging in extreme sports encouraged by soft drink advertizers, or due to drinking and driving after a hard night out with the boys. They DO have shorter lifespans because of biological differences associated with being of the (chromosomally) male sex. Tony

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Technically you are right. However, I don't think there is any chance of somebody misinterpreting the use of word "gender" on that page. Furthermore. I dislike the use of word "sex" for anything other than coitus. If somebody wants to change the page, they are welcome.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I note that someone had a beef about the 'holy grail' terminology there too, Mr DarkFinder.