Wiki entries

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, I am feeling sullen and thwarted... I just spend (I am embarrassed to say) and HOUR doing a really intense re-write, re-design, etc of that wiki page... and then closed my <edit> tab I was working in.

I do not deserve to give anyone a hard time now. I officially suck.

Last edited by a moderator:

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I clicked on one of my own internal links in a preview, and then closed it (thinking it had opened a new tab). Yep, major suckage.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did one on an aphonopelma pallidum. if you guys could check that out, and correct it, if u could, that'd be greeat! i like your idea on this, speed. good thinking!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All this talk of venom toxcicity and nobody bothers to read the bite reports

The original wiki articles aren't going to be all that great initially, which is why others need to edit them. I left my *small* mark a few places in that article.

Personally, I don't care for wikipedia at all so my mark will remain small.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since I got you here...

Can someone tell me if we can trace back whoever wrote/edited a wiki entry?

Unrelated to t's but important... as a musician, I saw bands having bogus entries made on them, or their own being edited in an insulting way. I wanna be able to find who did it if someone was to do it to my band!!!:embarrassed:

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
All this talk of venom toxcicity and nobody bothers to read the bite reports

The original wiki articles aren't going to be all that great initially, which is why others need to edit them. I left my *small* mark a few places in that article.

Personally, I don't care for wikipedia at all so my mark will remain small.
Ditto... I am not a huge fan of wikipedia, but I think it has it's place in terms of giving you a nice broad outline of info... details are always questionable.

I've had a brief attempt at cleaning it as well. I found a grammar hitch, and made a couple of sentence tidy-ups, as wikipedia intervention allows. Also added a bite-report link, so that people can verify for themselves.

I don't think 'medically significant' is required. The mention of potential hospitalisation (period not really required here, is it?) is probably warning enough. I changed some words, while retaining meaning.

It was an excellent start.

Is the binomial name correct?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eh, metallica and pokies in general are faster than anything else I have.
if i were to bet on who's faster in my collection between pokies and l. violaceopes, i'd bet the house on the l. violaceopes. but i ain't a gamblin' man.... {D

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah and what if someone just hates the color blue? Then. P. metallica wouldn't be so great...;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i saw a BIG diary sort of article by some arachnologist (i think) on the web about 3 day hospitalization from tarantula bite. However, he said he might have been allergic to it.
Anyway, I do not have time atm to find that link.
i think it was on the phong's tarantulas site

oh, and tescos' posts are typically negative. and it is not unusual to find posts that took quite a bit of time posting to make someone feel stupid. the posts typically do contain good technical information, but lack any sort of couth one would expect from an adult posting on an international forum. his posts hint and a deep unresolved bitterness a lot of times.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How do we change the binomial name? It's wrong, it's annoying me now that I've seen it, and I can't edit it... I don't think.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Minor issue

"The gender matters since females live for about 12 years, 3-4 times longer than males. "

This sentence should read, "The sex matters . . . ".

Gender is social/cultural, versus sex, which is biological.

From Merriam Webster, "the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex"

My $0.02 worth.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mr Jacob, it's a nice short summary. I guess it would benefit from describing the tarantula's environment - natural habitat, conditions, etc. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure all tarantulas are in the family Theraphosidae; so saying that is a bit redundant.

Cheshire, good point; I have read professional venom report a year ago, which I thought was good enough - I just don't have the link.

Caco's suggestion was fruitful - Phong does have a nice bite report.
Although it's not the one I read, judging from it, I would say pokie bite warrants hospitalization.

138, I was just speaking from personal xp. I didn't write it was the fastest spider or some such; just that it was very fast.

KingBowser, and what if someone is an arachnophobiac? :) I think my point was that p. metallica is desirable for vast majority of T keepers. And I have never known anyone who hates blue color :), unless they were from Stanford :} .

IdahoBiteyThing, good point. So much for me taking anthropology :). But I think the meaning isn't lost; so it's not a huge deal. I just usually reserve word sex for coitus. :drool:

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
"The gender matters since females live for about 12 years, 3-4 times longer than males. "

This sentence should read, "The sex matters . . . ".

Gender is social/cultural, versus sex, which is biological.

From Merriam Webster, "the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex"

My $0.02 worth.
Actually, I think that gender, sex debate is quite flawed. As a teenager when I came out of the closet, I learned a LOT about sex, gender, sexual behavior and sexual identity, and I think that definition is lacking in a few ways.

I think that gender is fine. If they could cross-dress, then I might be concerned about it's use.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I saw Nicolai Pedersen get bitten by two seperate P.miranda on the same arm.

But he didn't go to hospital because he is rock hard ;)

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, I'd take a p. metallica any day...I'll sign over my first unborn child. :razz: