Why wont she move? =(

Morr

Arachnopeon
Hello,

yesterday I got my first own T, an A. Geniculata. She was packaged in a small plastic box, with toilette paper to sit on so she couldnt bump into the sides of the box as easily. She's a year old, so about 4" or something, I'd guess.
So, as soon as I got home with her, I introduced her to her new home. Its a terrarium I've filled with 5-6" vermiculite and peat moss as substrate, putten a nice hiding place in, and planted two small plants, not directly in the substrate but still in their pots, and a wide shallow water dish. I have a thermometer in there, which shows the temperature to be around 72 F, and I watered the substrate a bit yesterday, so its somehwhat humid in there.
However, little Hungry doesnt seem to want to leave the box she came in... she sits in it, on her toilette paper, in the middle of the terrarium, and actually doesnt move at all, mostly - she has turned around perhaps 4 or five times, altogether, after being in the terrarium for 14 hours. At first I thought she was only scared/a little cold and so from the journey, but now, after a night in there... :(

I have thought about perhaps upturning her travel-box, and gently coax her out of it, but I really didnt think I would have to do that, with a species everyone says is active very often. I mean, she has to realise the lid on the travel-box is off, right? But if that is the case... why doesnt she move.. ? :(

I'd appreciate your help, kinda worried about poor little Hungry now.

thanks

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Ya know what, I would just give her time. Maybe she got a little cold from the journey, maybe a little stressed from the moving. When I brought my a.avic home from the pet store (A very good one!) she wouldnt come out of her enclosure for a few days either. I bet, when you go to bed, and the lights are out, Hungry will explore her enclosure. But by the morning she'll be back in her tube, where she thinks its safe. I wouldnt worry too much. Some tarantulas arent that active ! Hope this helps somewhat.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can't really go wrong with a healthy A. geniculata. I would just give her time. Sometimes, travel over a day in a box can do weird things to them. Hopefully, she is fine though. By the way, are you sure she is a geniculata?

Morr

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies,
yes lam, I am absolutely sure she is a geniculata. She has white bands on her legs, rather long reddish hair on her abdomen, and a white band right in front of her eyes; all the rest being black.
I've compared her to a few pictures too, and as far as I can tell, she is a geniculata.
The previous owner told me to be a little careful, too, as she would instantly come running if I tried to do anything in the terrarium, and that she would eat a lot and be very active. That, as far as I know, sounds pretty much like a normal Geniculata?

I don't know how long ago it was that she last molted, though, perhaps she's preparing for that?

So far, with 24 hours in her new home, she has not left her little plastic traveling bag. In fact, she sits in the exact same posture now, as she did earlier today, like 8 hours ago. One night, plus quite a few hours with a blanket covering the front of the terrarium from light, has given her ample time for nocturnal exploration of the terrarium, but so far, she hasn't moved an inch. If she was a rosie or something, I wouldnt be too worried, but c'mon, a geniculata? One that the previous owner said was active and ate tons?

I'm gonna call him, the previous owner, and ask him when she molted the last time.

If she hasnt moved a leg in 6 hours or something, would you advice me to try and move her out from the little box? Lets say she is indeed going to molt soon, wouldn't it be bad for her to try and do that on a bed of very dry toilette paper?

One last thing, as far as I can see, the bald patch on her rump, from kicking hair, is nowhere NERE as pale as the one that my brother's L. Parahybana has. I'd describe the color Hungry's patch is as grey.

I'd appreciate any tips on how to proceed now!

Thanks!

EDIT: just FYI, I went by train and picked her up, so she wasnt exposed to freezing cold, and was in the travelbox AT THE MOST five hours.. not counting the time she has chosen to spend there since I put her in her new home.

Last edited:

Morr

Arachnopeon
Ok, previous owner said she molted at September the 12th last time... and her bald patch is grey now, kind of ash-colored.

He said that I should try and coax her out of the little box, and then try to feed her... so, as he does sound pretty knowledgable, I did that. I gently tipped her cointainer, and tried to push her a little with a plastic ruler... but she wont leave that little plastic box :(
She backed up into it again, when she was close to getting out of it, and really did her best not to be forced out of the box. I gave her some time, tried again, and that time she kicked hair repeatedly on my ruler.
So, I guess, I will have to leave her, sitting like a statue in her little box.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
don't ever get anxious w/ your tarantulas... you'll drive yourself absoloutly crazy....

i have spiders that spend many days w/o moving!
i've also experianced this w/ freshly shipped tarantulas....

just relax... give it a few days.... remember... just because you havn't seen it out of it's cup... isn't to say it isn't out roaming in the middle of the night... i have spiders i only see after 3 am....

good luck.... i love A. geniculatas... they are awsome awsome tarantulas..