why still creating common names?

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Tapachula? What's Tapachula? Pinche Joto.
LOL Oh you know & its Tara-Chula

Urban Dictionare: TARA-CHULA = 1)Sexy, Fine tarantula 2)The way a guy calls a tarantula girl if she is sexy. -Look at that tarachula over their, she's fine. -Ay tarachula come here.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Common names are great it will give people something to complain about on AB.

Seriously though common name is useful when it use as a specific locality of the spider or what the hell give it a common name to differentiate a species of a color morph/variant etc. for example Pamphobeteus anrinous "Peru" vs Pamphobeteus antinous "Bolivia", Grammostola sp. "Northern Type" - "Northern Gold" and Grammostola sp. "Northern Type "Orichalcum".
But you will still be saying Grammostola sp. Northern type, referring the animal by its scientific name, since Grammostola is the scientific name for that genus. You're not calling it a Rosehair sp.Northern Type.
I have no trouble at all with using localities after the genus, especially with new species in the hobby.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Eh eh eh (aside for the Troll icon) I have yet to find a poser that know Mercyful Fate & old good King Diamond (I remember that I've posted, as one of my pure nonsense moments, one of his songs that you liked) :-s
Off topic, but I had to chime in and say if one knows of and likes King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, then one is definitely not a poser but a real metalhead. I myself have been a King Diamond fan for many years and he even signed a poster I bought at a concert many years back. I found him outside the venue in a car about to leave and he was signing things from the backseat still in his Santa Clause coat from doing No Presents for Christmas and makeup. Even have an old patch that came from the man himself.

On topic, I don't know why people make such a big deal over common names around here. The bigger issue is when people make up scientific names or assign the wrong scientific name for a tarantula they can't properly ID. Even with posts on the subject here, people are still calling the black tarantula with red abdominal seate from Chile Euathlus sp. Red when it is actually a Homoeomma sp. :p

Walker253

Arachnobaron
They love "cool" names, they love and care about aesthetic effect and such :p
Like "The Queen"?

Common names are garbage and a damage for serious arachnid scholars. The fact that certain common names were a guess right, like 'OBT' or 'GBB', for instance, means nothing. Cultural crap as well, as I've said tricks for $$$ and excuse for lazy people, lazy even to the point of open a book.
Like "The Queen"?

Common names are IMO garbage, like heavy metal posers, hipsters... things like that. Foolishness basically :-s
Like "The Queen"?

As I've said, common name are pure garbage, that's all.
Like "The Queen"? Say it isn't so Buddy. PBUH Peace be upon her. Lol, I'm just busting your balls.

I hate the term "Birdeater", but do like the occasional common name to start the education with somebody who has little interest. You start letting the Latin flow and most tune it out because they don't understand and won't care enough to until a bit of interest is generated. Common names are a "foot in the door" per se. Once you have someone truly interested, "switch to guns", I mean Latin. I still reserve the right for acyronyms like GBB or OBT, because of personal selfishness, lol.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Like "The Queen"?

Like "The Queen"?

Like "The Queen"?

Like "The Queen"? Say it isn't so Buddy. PBUH Peace be upon her. Lol, I'm just busting your balls.

I hate the term "Birdeater", but do like the occasional common name to start the education with somebody who has little interest. You start letting the Latin flow and most tune it out because they don't understand and won't care enough to until a bit of interest is generated. Common names are a "foot in the door" per se. Once you have someone truly interested, "switch to guns", I mean Latin. I still reserve the right for acyronyms like GBB or OBT, because of personal selfishness, lol.
Goddess, my man, Goddess. But that's not her common name of course, only the title that deserves IMO the best Theraphosidae ever :)

Therefore Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her -- <-- that's the correct lettering/wording :pompous:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
LOL......Then I hope your friends at your house are called Felis catus, Canis lupus familiaris, or even Homo sapiens instead of any common or you are exacty that "IMO garbage, like heavy metal posers, hipsters... things like that. Foolishness basically :-s
" Why do we name things the way we do? Better yet why are you named what you are?

To each their own, but again as I have stated freely several times I feel there is a need for common names even If I do or do not like them.

When the T.seladonia a long with all other spiders come in our broker asks for common names for all so they can help inspectors identify better when they don't know the scientific. Spider sold itself and if individuals liked the spider they purchased regardless of common name. Some thought it was good and others did not, but the name was irrelevant. Simply identified the species beauty as best one could to put into a common name much like individuals do to identify their pets or child at times.

Sincerely,

Homo Sapien #6,127,030,020[/QUOTE]

Wow, something went wrong with quoting...my post starts HERE. ;)

The cat in my house is not called Felis catus, because that is a family-name, like Theraphosidae. My cat IS however a british shorthair hybrid.
So when people ask what breed it
is, that is what i answer, and it has a pet name, but not confuse it with a common name.
If I decided to call my B.smithi Fred, that is a pet name, but I wouldn't say that it is a Fred, if someone wants to know what it is.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
So Chris, should we start referring to you by your scientific name? Homo uptightis?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Even with posts on the subject here, people are still calling the black tarantula with red abdominal seate from Chile Euathlus sp. Red when it is actually a Homoeomma sp. :p
Because the people selling them are still calling them Euathlus sp. Red. When I asked why, I was told it was because Homoeomma was not being recognized yet.
And since you mention it - what Homoeomma species is it? Homoeomma sp. Red? Has that been determined?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The cat in my house is not called Felis catus, because that is a family-name, like Theraphosidae. My cat IS however a british shorthair hybrid.
is, that is what i answer, and it has a pet name, but not confuse it with a common name.
If I decided to call my B.smithi Fred, that is a pet name, but I wouldn't say that it is a Fred, if someone wants to know what it is.
You are confusing species with breed here. You cat is of the species Felis catus (which is of the family Felidae) all domesticated cats are. Just like my curly hair tarantula is of the species Brachypelma albopilosum (which is of the family Theraphosidae). Both of these names are for species of animals. Your cat's breed is a british shorthair hybrid. Common names are more like what my Mom calls local names for plants - most local people in an area (or group) where the plant grows knows the plant by this name.

In most other hobbies I have worked in people were not required to learn the species names of the plants, animals, or insects they were keeping. I know farmers who have raised honey bees for 80 years or more. They couldn't tell you which of the 4000 species of native North American bee they have (or if it is even a native species). Yet they are able to care for them and they thrive.

Again, I like using species names to ensure I'm speaking about the right tarantula when I am helping others or asking for help. Other than that, as long as they care properly for the tarantula, I don't care which name they use.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you :)

But We my friend. We. As devoted of the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her
Lol no thank you...the entire thread discussion on your "Queen or Goddess" ,regardless if you agree or not, is referenced by many because the common name is King baboon. If female could be referenced as Queen and you are calling her a Goddess so let's common name her Goddes baboon instead lol :)

" The cat in my house is not called Felis catus, because that is a family-name, like Theraphosidae. My cat IS however a british shorthair hybrid.
No, No, don't use any of those words like British short haired hybrid....And definitely don't give any thing a name like "Fred" only scientific for everything here! Bring out the firing squad, call in the "Goddess" to make the fire call, I am off to go have some Tetraodontidae sushi lol.

Last post here.... Out,
Homo Sapien #6,127,030,020

Last edited:

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Have to admit to not even knowing the common names of most of mine.
I do however, call my B.albo T's curlys, and I use GBB and OBT. I shorten the names as many do, genic or pcam for instance. Ultimately though,
I'm in agreement with not caring what they call them.

Thank you :)

But We my friend. We. As devoted of the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her
OK <3 I still need to get my own personal tub of dirt. And I shall name
This goddess Tara-chula.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Image having to try and sell BGG to a relatively new person to the hobby, and trying to pronounce Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens extra 30 seconds of the conversation. lol I cant even bring my self to use proper names every single time, so I wouldn't expect someone new to the hobby to remember that.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Lol no thank you...the entire thread discussion on your "Queen or Goddess" ,regardless if you agree or not, is referenced by many because the common name is King baboon. If female could be referenced as Queen and you are calling her a Goddess so let's common name her Goddes baboon instead lol :)
Why? :-s

There's no need for 'Baboon', man. She's the Goddess among and of Theraphosidae, no matter u_u

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fortunately, in Czech Republic common names never really stuck, and you basically only see scientific names at expos/fairs.
However, what's maybe worse is clinging to outdated or just plain wrong nomenclature.
Some even do it deliberately. I've seen plain ol' G.porteri sold as G.spatulata. You won't find any G.pulchripes here - only G.aureostriata. I've seen a man selling B.albiceps AND 'B.ruhnaui' at the same table. And nevermind the too-widespread "true Hysterocrates hercules".

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Have to admit to not even knowing the common names of most of mine.
I do however, call my B.albo T's curlys, and I use GBB and OBT. I shorten the names as many do, genic or pcam for instance. Ultimately though,
I'm in agreement with not caring what they call them.

OK <3 I still need to get my own personal tub of dirt. And I shall name
This goddess Tara-chula.
Yeah I actually have to think about it bit when saying the common name of some of mine. But I think that's just a side effect of me having no life and spending so much time on AB. :happy:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Image having to try and sell BGG to a relatively new person to the hobby, and trying to pronounce Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens extra 30 seconds of the conversation. lol I cant even bring my self to use proper names every single time, so I wouldn't expect someone new to the hobby to remember that.
I wasn't aiming towards new hobbyists, but to breeders and sellers who have a ton of experience.

But i guess it is a difference between europe and US, and not one that is likely to disappear.