why still creating common names?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Common names are great it will give people something to complain about on AB.

Seriously though common name is useful when it use as a specific locality of the spider or what the hell give it a common name to differentiate a species of a color morph/variant etc. for example Pamphobeteus anrinous "Peru" vs Pamphobeteus antinous "Bolivia", Grammostola sp. "Northern Type" - "Northern Gold" and Grammostola sp. "Northern Type "Orichalcum".

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You're being a bit hard line on this.
Yeah but I am, man. If "you" are interested, you will learn the right way from me at the best I can. Otherwise bugger off and go somewhere else and you will hear all the useless fancy names that exists.

Thank God I don't have (nor I am surrounded) by annoying brats. When we were brats anyway, we always loved to open our Dad books, when I first saw a T.blondi on one of his natural science book we were, uhm... six? Seven? And we were able to memorize that scientific name without issues.

Common names are IMO garbage, like heavy metal posers, hipsters... things like that. Foolishness basically :-s

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Yeah but I am, man. If "you" are interested, you will learn the right way from me at the best I can. Otherwise bugger off and go somewhere else and you will hear all the useless fancy names that exists.

Thank God I don't have (nor I am surrounded) by annoying brats. When we were brats anyway, we always loved to open our Dad books, when I first saw a T.blondi on one of his natural science book we were, uhm... six? Seven? And we were able to memorize that scientific name without issues.

Common names are IMO garbage, like heavy metal posers, hipsters... things like that. Foolishness basically :-s
As both a heavy metal poser and a hipster, I take great offence at this. :troll:

But also, agreed.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As both a heavy metal poser and a hipster, I take great offence at this. :troll:
Eh eh eh (aside for the Troll icon) I have yet to find a poser that know Mercyful Fate & old good King Diamond (I remember that I've posted, as one of my pure nonsense moments, one of his songs that you liked) :-s

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +

LOL......Then I hope your friends at your house are called Felis catus, Canis lupus familiaris, or even Homo sapiens instead of any common or you are exactly that "IMO garbage, like heavy metal posers, hipsters... things like that. Foolishness basically :-s[/QUOTE]" Why do we name things the way we do? Better yet why are you named what you are?

To each their own, but again as I have stated freely several times I feel there is a need for common names even If I do or do not like them.

When the T.seladonia a long with all other spiders come in our broker asks for common names for all so they can help inspectors identify better when they don't know the scientific. Spider sold itself and if individuals liked the spider they purchased regardless of common name. Some thought it was good and others did not, but the name was irrelevant. Simply identified the species beauty as best one could to put into a common name much like individuals do to identify their pets or child at times.

Sincerely,

Homo Sapien #6,127,030,020

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
LOL......Then I hope your friends at your house are called Felis catus, Canis lupus familiaris, or even Homo sapiens instead of any common or you are exaclty that "IMO garbage, like heavy metal posers, hipsters... things like that. Foolishness basically :-s Why do we name things the way we do? Better yet why are you names what you are?

To each their own, but again as I have stated freely several times I feel there is a need for common names even If I do or do not like them.

Sincerly,

Homo Sapiean #6,127,030,020
I will leave to old good Ugo (Tognazzi) my reply for your comment:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
IMO, I really don't like common names used at all. Don't see the point. In my mind, it's equivolent to saying: "Oh, here is my brown and black T with golden stripes". Literally, just give the T's description out, and that is a common name. Anyone can call it whatever they want, I'd just give the scientific name to educate the person and to know what they're talking about. If someone asks me if I have heard of the mexican stripe knee, how am I or anyone else going to know which of the many CAN be called that? Anyway, just my opinion. Not really sure why anyone uses them, unless they're lazy. In which case, just give me an accurate description of the T. Better than a common name any day ;)

cold blood

Staff member
I gotta agree with the fact that they (common names, that is) have a place and there is a good reason they exist beyond marketing.

See, locals living around them aren't any more likely to refer local fauna by scientific names as we are the animals we see or live amongst. If I were to start talking about Siciurus carolinesis, Oryctolagus cuniculus or Odocoileus virginianus in public, people would look at me like I had crabs coming out of my ears. No one would have a clue what I was talking about unless they were studying these animals from a scientific point of view. If I mention squirrels, bunny rabbits and deer, literally every single person would know exactly what I was saying.

Its really just the fact that we have this hobby, that revolves around captive breeding along with a massive number of individual species that we require everything to be separated down to the last letter, so to speak. If there were no tarantula hobby, the only people who would know these scientific names would be the few arachnologists actively studying them. But because of the situation, the hobby basically requires scientific names are stressed over the commons.

Because I am in this hobby, I much prefer and only pay attention to scientific names....if I lived amongst them my whole life, I would probably know them differently.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
If I were to start talking about Siciurus carolinesis, Oryctolagus cuniculus or Odocoileus virginianus in public,
Sigh. No love for Didelphis virginiana?

Figures. Only the cute mammals are used as examples in debates. :rage:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
IMO, I really don't like common names used at all. Don't see the point. In my mind, it's equivolent to saying: "Oh, here is my brown and black T with golden stripes". Literally, just give the T's description out, and that is a common name. Anyone can call it whatever they want, I'd just give the scientific name to educate the person and to know what they're talking about. If someone asks me if I have heard of the mexican stripe knee, how am I or anyone else going to know which of the many CAN be called that? Anyway, just my opinion. Not really sure why anyone uses them, unless they're lazy. In which case, just give me an accurate description of the T. Better than a common name any day ;)
Interesting perspective,

Now for reality of any new hobbiest not just children. At a Reptile/bug show for example if they are trying to remember a GBB (green bottle blue) they saw, wanted after being educated, or will in the future are they going to remember the scientific and be able to say it? Good luck ...many new on here can't say or remember the GBB common name. We all had to start some where and if you were saying chilobrachys fimbriatus as a youngster more power to you, but most still don't even pronounce that right when speaking with someone.

To each their own, like it or hate it, they are here to stay for obvious reason.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As I've said, common name are pure garbage, that's all. Just my view about. If someone thinks that to spell, or remember, something like Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is almost impossible or such, like if we are talking about a travel among the borders of knowledge, quite frankly I don't care. There's people that are happy to live in ignorance, because, living in such a "world", they will always find someone more ignorant than them.

I stick to Latin, I stick to Thorell (and that's why I say Theraphosidae instead of Tarantulas) and I don't care about that Tarachula named "striped beauty tiger jewel forest zebra pink/blue/red/wt. chimp eater" and garbage like that.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
As I've said, common name are pure garbage, that's all. Just my view about. If someone thinks that to spell, or remember, something like Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is almost impossible or such, like if we are talking about a travel among the borders of knowledge, quite frankly I don't care. There's people that are happy to live in ignorance, because, living in such a "world", they will always find someone more ignorant than them.

I stick to Latin, I stick to Thorell (and that's why I say Theraphosidae instead of Tarantulas) and I don't care about that Tarachula named "striped beauty tiger jewel forest zebra pink/blue/red/wt. chimp eater" and garbage like that.
Well now that, specifically, "Tarachula ( named "striped beauty tiger jewel forest zebra pink/blue/red/wt. chimp eater)" is right up Jose Berrios alley.

Urban Dictionare: TARA-CHULA = 1)Sexy, Fine tarantula 2)The way a guy calls a tarantula girl if she is sexy. -Look at that tarachula over their, she's fine. -Ay tarachula come here.

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I like common names for popular t's. if I'm talking to anyone outside of this site I always use common names.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I gotta agree with the fact that they (common names, that is) have a place and there is a good reason they exist beyond marketing.

See, locals living around them aren't any more likely to refer local fauna by scientific names as we are the animals we see or live amongst. If I were to start talking about Siciurus carolinesis, Oryctolagus cuniculus or Odocoileus virginianus in public, people would look at me like I had crabs coming out of my ears. No one would have a clue what I was talking about unless they were studying these animals from a scientific point of view. If I mention squirrels, bunny rabbits and deer, literally every single person would know exactly what I was saying.

Its really just the fact that we have this hobby, that revolves around captive breeding along with a massive number of individual species that we require everything to be separated down to the last letter, so to speak. If there were no tarantula hobby, the only people who would know these scientific names would be the few arachnologists actively studying them. But because of the situation, the hobby basically requires scientific names are stressed over the commons.

Because I am in this hobby, I much prefer and only pay attention to scientific names....if I lived amongst them my whole life, I would probably know them differently.
I agree. I mean how many people know the scientific names of all the plants in their yard. I bet there are a lot of people who actually know none. They still grow plants in the yard though.

I bet they are have this same discussion over on Floraboards - only with people complaining about others not knowing scientific plant names. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of people up in arms cause some poser posted a help thread about snapdragons when anyone who matters knows they are called Antirrhinum majus. :rolleyes:

I like to use scientific names when I give out help so I can be sure which T I'm commenting on. Other than that I really don't care if people prefer one to the other.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Sigh. No love for Didelphis virginiana?

Figures. Only the cute mammals are used as examples in debates. :rage:
Didelphis virginiana isn't a mammal.... they are marsupials. Geez what a rookie. :p

I figured you of all people would know that. :D

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Nobody is expecting that every single member of this hobby learn every single scientific name versus common name, but at the very least know the scientific names of the species that you have! Newer people might start out with five species which belong to, maybe, three genera. It is absolutely not unreasonable for them to learn their names. Once you master the handful of species you have, then you can branch off to those you might want to have down the road. From there, you watch others and see photos with additional names on them and you learn those too.
It doesn't have to be that someone sits down and memorizes every single species in the hobby - it can be a gradual transition. The problem is that many people don't even want to make the effort and then get bent out of shape when they have a question, the answer of which might depend on which species it is, and people can't answer it for them immediately.
I notice that fish people are good about knowing the scientific names too and there are lots of different species in the hobby.
It's not impossible. And there are no excuses when people have unlimited knowledge at their fingertips with the internet. YouTube is great for hearing people pronouncing the names - people just have to have the desire to.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Nobody is expecting that every single member of this hobby learn every single scientific name versus common name, but at the very least know the scientific names of the species that you have! Newer people might start out with five species which belong to, maybe, three genera. It is absolutely not unreasonable for them to learn their names. Once you master the handful of species you have, then you can branch off to those you might want to have down the road. From there, you watch others and see photos with additional names on them and you learn those too.
It doesn't have to be that someone sits down and memorizes every single species in the hobby - it can be a gradual transition. The problem is that many people don't even want to make the effort and then get bent out of shape when they have a question, the answer of which might depend on which species it is, and people can't answer it for them immediately.
I notice that fish people are good about knowing the scientific names too and there are lots of different species in the hobby.
It's not impossible. And there are no excuses when people have unlimited knowledge at their fingertips with the internet. YouTube is great for hearing people pronouncing the names - people just have to have the desire to.

Indeed, when I order my sushi I always ask for Thunnus albacares belly instead of yellow tail belly or hamachi belly.

Also was at the circus the other day and won a beautiful Carassius auratus.

Lol even furthers my point that I think fish are cool, but if I went into the fish store (which I have) and wanted some information on a particular fish and he/she said leave now you mongolo you don't even know the scientific name of a gold fish then that would not go over real well with me. Again, we all must start some where.

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I told you guys and gals common names are good it will give members something to complain about on AB. Pterinochilus murinus "DCF", "OBT", "Mombasa Golden Starburst", etc, etc, etc......... they have them for a reason.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I told you guys and gals common names are good it will give members something to complain about on AB. Pterinochilus murinus "DCF", "OBT", "Mombasa Golden Starburst", etc, etc, etc......... they have them for a reason.
You just go find your Tara-chula