why my tarantula keeps trying to escape?

Juma

Arachnopeon
I wanted to know if is there any particular reason why my tarantula keeps trying to escape from her habitat... I feed her well, I moister the habitat, i give her water... is there something bothering her or is just instinct? Do other tarantulas do that too? Mine is a Lasiodora Parahybana.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How moist are we taking? What size is it?
Please take a picture of the setup so everyone here can actually help without just speculation and guess work.

Sana

Arachnoprince
A picture would help a lot. How long has your tarantula been in the enclosure?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
We always need pictures to have rough idea of what the problem may be.

LPs like moisture but not loads of it. If the enclosure is too moist with not enough ventilation then it will be too stuffy for your LP. This could cause problems further down the line. I usually just put a little spag moss around the water bowl and overflow it a little bit. When it dries out I overflow it again.

A stuffy cage is just a guess on the problem at hand. It could just be too hot as it is summer and the temps rise.

Anyway, if you could supply pics then we can advise better

Juma

Arachnopeon
We always need pictures to have rough idea of what the problem may be.

LPs like moisture but not loads of it. If the enclosure is too moist with not enough ventilation then it will be too stuffy for your LP. This could cause problems further down the line. I usually just put a little spag moss around the water bowl and overflow it a little bit. When it dries out I overflow it again.

A stuffy cage is just a guess on the problem at hand. It could just be too hot as it is summer and the temps rise.

Anyway, if you could supply pics then we can advise better
Well, It's winter in here, so i think heat is not the problem. see that net? Thats the covering all the top of the habitat, so i think ventilation is not a prob (sorry if its bad english)

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It needs a lot more substrate in the enclosure I would say 6 inches from the bottom so that it can create a burrow and protect it from falls.

What is the green insect in there? If you are using as a feeder for the tarantula it is probably spooked by it as it is quite large. I know LPs are known for being great eaters but there are individuals that prefer smaller feeders. I would remove it. Your T could be in pre-moult and it may be bothering it.

lose the mesh.

It could do with a bigger hide too. It also needs a water dish in there just saying as I cant see one.

Try this and let us know if its behaviour changes.

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm going to offer what is meant as constructive criticism. I hope it doesn't come across badly. I would add considerably more substrate to your enclosure first. I never have more then 2xDLS (diagonal leg span, US standard measurement). Most people recommend 1.5x DLS. If the measurement thing needs clarification let me know. I don't know what standard is used in Brazil. The net/screen top isn't the best type that you can use. Tarantulas can chew through it fairly easily and escaped spiders aren't much fun. The other downsides to screen are that tarantulas tarsal claw can get caught relatively easily in it and if they fall from it can be seriously injured. They also allow the environment in the enclosure to dry out faster which for your particular tarantula isn't a good thing. The species of tarantula that you have does better with somewhat moist substrate and always having a full water dish so it's a little more humid. I think that I'm seeing some rocks as decoration in the enclosure. I don't personally use objects that are that hard in my enclosures just in case of a fall. My tarantulas occasionally climb so I try to make the enclosure as fall safe as possible. That should give you enough to start working with. There are some other pieces that will come into play here but I prefer to get information in small steps that I can work with before I move on to the next step.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A IMO gargantua size set up, combined with miserable inches of substrate. There's not a piece of good old cork bark, only those plastic type stuff with an helluva of wasted space. Height IMO unacceptable for a NW terrestrial. And where is the water dish?

Weather/temperature isn't a issue, that's a Brazil native one, as you know better. We manage worldwide to breed and raise those without issues (all hail the "LP" so hated, btw). I would move the Theraphosidae into another more little enclosure with inches of substrate (why the 'Scrooge' mentality with substrate?) water dish, cork bark, just a corner slightly moist. Nothing else.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
loose the mesh.
I think the point here is find a more suitable top. Don't lose the lid all together!

While my LP does not burrow or even dig for that matter, more sub gives them the opportunity to do so in the off chance they want to.

I'd replace that plastic hide with a piece of cork bark shoved/covered mostly by the deep substrate.

You should certainly put a water dish in there too!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That Tarantula is probably wanting to leave because there's not enough substrate to burrow, and because the home it's surviving in is pretty barren. It's basically a prison/jail cell, and no animal likes that including humans.

It likely feels exposed/nervous and thus wants to find a place to hide.

It needs a water bowl too, that "home" is terrible.

Juma

Arachnopeon
It needs a lot more substrate in the enclosure I would say 6 inches from the bottom so that it can create a burrow and protect it from falls.

What is the green insect in there? If you are using as a feeder for the tarantula it is probably spooked by it as it is quite large. I know LPs are known for being great eaters but there are individuals that prefer smaller feeders. I would remove it. Your T could be in pre-moult and it may be bothering it.

lose the mesh.

It could do with a bigger hide too. It also needs a water dish in there just saying as I cant see one.

Try this and let us know if its behaviour changes.
It has a water dish on the left, you can't see from the photo. I have more substract and i pretend to put it soon, but for that i would need to remove the tarantula and she's kinda agressive these days (some days she's not) and it just gets impossible to remove. But I will put it soon, I'm very concerned about the fall, she climbs a lot...
I'm feeding her mostly with grasshoppers, is it the insect the problem or how big is it? I've read in a lot of places that's okay too feed her with big insects (not really big, about her size...)

Juma

Arachnopeon
I'm going to offer what is meant as constructive criticism. I hope it doesn't come across badly. I would add considerably more substrate to your enclosure first. I never have more then 2xDLS (diagonal leg span, US standard measurement). Most people recommend 1.5x DLS. If the measurement thing needs clarification let me know. I don't know what standard is used in Brazil. The net/screen top isn't the best type that you can use. Tarantulas can chew through it fairly easily and escaped spiders aren't much fun. The other downsides to screen are that tarantulas tarsal claw can get caught relatively easily in it and if they fall from it can be seriously injured. They also allow the environment in the enclosure to dry out faster which for your particular tarantula isn't a good thing. The species of tarantula that you have does better with somewhat moist substrate and always having a full water dish so it's a little more humid. I think that I'm seeing some rocks as decoration in the enclosure. I don't personally use objects that are that hard in my enclosures just in case of a fall. My tarantulas occasionally climb so I try to make the enclosure as fall safe as possible. That should give you enough to start working with. There are some other pieces that will come into play here but I prefer to get information in small steps that I can work with before I move on to the next step.
You know, I'm just learning this now and all I know comes from the internet, and a lot of the things I have read was wrong, so that's why I'm a little lost... I'm just feeling the worse mother of tarantulas in the world.. :/
But I'm aware that it needs more substract, I'm just waiting for her to calm down because its a little agressive and it gets impossible to remove her that way...
I haven't considered that she would chew the screen, I think she would have done it by now, but she's very small yet, What do you recomend to substitute it? holes in the glass?
I'm removing the rocks right now!!!!
Thank you for the help.

Sana

Arachnoprince
It has a water dish on the left, you can't see from the photo. I have more substract and i pretend to put it soon, but for that i would need to remove the tarantula and she's kinda agressive these days (some days she's not) and it just gets impossible to remove. But I will put it soon, I'm very concerned about the fall, she climbs a lot...
I'm feeding her mostly with grasshoppers, is it the insect the problem or how big is it? I've read in a lot of places that's okay too feed her with big insects (not really big, about her size...)
I wouldn't think that the prey is an issue as long as she's eating it. They easiest way that I have found to remove a tarantula from an enclosure is to put a cup over them while they are on the substrate or the side and then gently slide a piece of cardboard under the opening so they step into the cup. I like peanut butter jars a lot for this use with tarantulas that size. Clear so you can see what you're doing and once they are in you screw on the lid and proceed with what you need to do. Anything large enough to put the spider in with a lid serves the purpose just fine. Aggressive isn't the word that I would use to describe a tarantula's behavior. That word always makes me think that they are plotting against you just waiting to attack which isn't the case. Defensive is a better description in my opinion. It seem more fitting as any threatening behavior is really just the spider protecting itself and it's home. LPs are also well known to be very food motivated tarantulas. They are generally happy to try to eat anything that moves, including water, prey, tongs, keeper, and any other unknown moving object. It sounds like your LP is displaying pretty classic behavior of her species.

Juma

Arachnopeon
A IMO gargantua size set up, combined with miserable inches of substrate. There's not a piece of good old cork bark, only those plastic type stuff with an helluva of wasted space. Height IMO unacceptable for a NW terrestrial. And where is the water dish?

Weather/temperature isn't a issue, that's a Brazil native one, as you know better. We manage worldwide to breed and raise those without issues (all hail the "LP" so hated, btw). I would move the Theraphosidae into another more little enclosure with inches of substrate (why the 'Scrooge' mentality with substrate?) water dish, cork bark, just a corner slightly moist. Nothing else.
Ok, I didn't get much of what you said on the first paragraph (IMO, NW, scrooge?) only that you didnt liked the screen, the size of the substract and... are you saying that it more space that she needs? I just wanted her to feel more nature as possible. Yes there is a water dish on the left, the picture didnt get it. Why are LPs hated? :eek:
Well I thinked that if she was in a big habitat, she would feel more in nature, feel less cloistered or trapped. I'm i wrong??
Thanks for the help.

Juma

Arachnopeon
I think the point here is find a more suitable top. Don't lose the lid all together!

While my LP does not burrow or even dig for that matter, more sub gives them the opportunity to do so in the off chance they want to.

I'd replace that plastic hide with a piece of cork bark shoved/covered mostly by the deep substrate.

You should certainly put a water dish in there too!
Yes there is a water bowl. Can you send a picture to what are you refering too?

Sana

Arachnoprince
You know, I'm just learning this now and all I know comes from the internet, and a lot of the things I have read was wrong, so that's why I'm a little lost... I'm just feeling the worse mother of tarantulas in the world.. :/
But I'm aware that it needs more substract, I'm just waiting for her to calm down because its a little agressive and it gets impossible to remove her that way...
I haven't considered that she would chew the screen, I think she would have done it by now, but she's very small yet, What do you recomend to substitute it? holes in the glass?
I'm removing the rocks right now!!!!
Thank you for the help.
You are certainly not the world's worst tarantula mother. You care enough about her to come here, ask questions, and work with the advice that you receive. That makes you a much better tarantula mother then a great number of keepers out there. I generally cut a piece of plexiglass/acryllic (don't know if there is another word for it) that fits the top of the enclosure and drill some air holes in it. I also use a latch and hinges on mine rather then trying to make it fit tightly enough to keep the tarantula in. This has the added benefit of giving me the ability to lock the enclosure it I feel like I need to since I've got kids running around. I'll include a picture of an enclosure that I have done this with. The only difference between it and yours if that mine is currently housing an arboreal tarantula so it's sitting on end rather then the bottom. You can do the same thing but sitting in the proper orientation so that the lid is on top instead of in the front.

Attachments

Juma

Arachnopeon
That Tarantula is probably wanting to leave because there's not enough substrate to burrow, and because the home it's surviving in is pretty barren. It's basically a prison/jail cell, and no animal likes that including humans.

It likely feels exposed/nervous and thus wants to find a place to hide.

It needs a water bowl too, that "home" is terrible.
Why "barren"??? So she needs a bigger home and more substract. that's what you're trying to say? I'm sorry, I'm doing my best with the english, but yet is kinda hard......