why my tarantula keeps trying to escape?

Sana

Arachnoprince
Ok, I didn't get much of what you said on the first paragraph (IMO, NW, scrooge?) only that you didnt liked the screen, the size of the substract and... are you saying that it more space that she needs? I just wanted her to feel more nature as possible. Yes there is a water dish on the left, the picture didnt get it. Why are LPs hated? :eek:
Well I thinked that if she was in a big habitat, she would feel more in nature, feel less cloistered or trapped. I'm i wrong??
Thanks for the help.
IMO=in my opinion
NW=new world tarantula, a tarantula that comes from North or South America
scrooge=classic character in a fairy story who is miserly, refusing to share his wealth with those in need until he is shown the error of hi ways in a dream

For future reference:
OW=old world tarantula, a tarantula that comes from Europe, Africa, Asia, or Australia
arboreal=any species of tarantula that generally lives above ground creating their web/retreat in trees, bushes, or tall grass
terrestrial=any specie of tarantula that generally lives on or under the ground creating their web/retreat under or around rocks, sticks, holes into the ground. etc.

Juma

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't think that the prey is an issue as long as she's eating it. They easiest way that I have found to remove a tarantula from an enclosure is to put a cup over them while they are on the substrate or the side and then gently slide a piece of cardboard under the opening so they step into the cup. I like peanut butter jars a lot for this use with tarantulas that size. Clear so you can see what you're doing and once they are in you screw on the lid and proceed with what you need to do. Anything large enough to put the spider in with a lid serves the purpose just fine. Aggressive isn't the word that I would use to describe a tarantula's behavior. That word always makes me think that they are plotting against you just waiting to attack which isn't the case. Defensive is a better description in my opinion. It seem more fitting as any threatening behavior is really just the spider protecting itself and it's home. LPs are also well known to be very food motivated tarantulas. They are generally happy to try to eat anything that moves, including water, prey, tongs, keeper, and any other unknown moving object. It sounds like your LP is displaying pretty classic behavior of her species.
Thanks for the tip, I'l try that! :)
Yes, you're right, defensive is the best word for her behavior. and yes, she really tryes to attack anything that moves, im glad that is a typical behavior for her species
thanks for the help

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the tip, I'l try that! :)
Yes, you're right, defensive is the best word for her behavior. and yes, she really tryes to attack anything that moves, im glad that is a typical behavior for her species
thanks for the help
That behavior is actually one of my favorite things about LPs and other similar species. Always a lot of fun to feed, not always easy to work with. I don't think that there is a widespread hatred of LPs. Those that keep that really seem to enjoy them and I have seen a lot of folks recommend them.

Juma

Arachnopeon
You are certainly not the world's worst tarantula mother. You care enough about her to come here, ask questions, and work with the advice that you receive. That makes you a much better tarantula mother then a great number of keepers out there. I generally cut a piece of plexiglass/acryllic (don't know if there is another word for it) that fits the top of the enclosure and drill some air holes in it. I also use a latch and hinges on mine rather then trying to make it fit tightly enough to keep the tarantula in. This has the added benefit of giving me the ability to lock the enclosure it I feel like I need to since I've got kids running around. I'll include a picture of an enclosure that I have done this with. The only difference between it and yours if that mine is currently housing an arboreal tarantula so it's sitting on end rather then the bottom. You can do the same thing but sitting in the proper orientation so that the lid is on top instead of in the front.
Thank you, that helped a lot!! in here we call acrylic too, and its a great idea. Your habitat is so damn beautiful!!!
Thank you, Sana, for all the help :kiss:

Juma

Arachnopeon
How did she lose a leg?
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

I think the environment was not humid enough when she was molting, a mistake I'l never do again!!! (but before the molting that leg had a part where it was pink, what was result of another molting on another bad environment....)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It has a water dish on the left, you can't see from the photo. I have more substract and i pretend to put it soon, but for that i would need to remove the tarantula and she's kinda agressive these days (some days she's not) and it just gets impossible to remove. But I will put it soon, I'm very concerned about the fall, she climbs a lot...
I'm feeding her mostly with grasshoppers, is it the insect the problem or how big is it? I've read in a lot of places that's okay too feed her with big insects (not really big, about her size...)
The food size depends on the individual T. It could be spooked by bigger feeders. Try feeding it something the size of its abdomen.

It may be in premolt and not want to share its enclosure with a big hopper jumping about.

As for removing the T you can place a deli tub over her then slide the lid of the deli tub or a bit of cardboard underneath and remove her. Give it a try.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why "barren"??? So she needs a bigger home and more substract. that's what you're trying to say? I'm sorry, I'm doing my best with the english, but yet is kinda hard......
I wish I spoke Portuguese :D Barren meaning there is very little in there for the T to feel secure, and yes to more substrate. Terrestrial Ts, should not be kept with such a height. The distance between the substrate surface and the lid should be no more than 150% the diagonal leg span of your tarantula. So if your T had a DLS of 2 cm, then the distance should be no more than 2.5 cm.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ok, I didn't get much of what you said on the first paragraph (IMO, NW, scrooge?) only that you didnt liked the screen, the size of the substract and... are you saying that it more space that she needs? I just wanted her to feel more nature as possible. Yes there is a water dish on the left, the picture didnt get it. Why are LPs hated? :eek:
Well I thinked that if she was in a big habitat, she would feel more in nature, feel less cloistered or trapped. I'm i wrong??
Thanks for the help.
You didn't get much of what I've said for two reasons: First, English. My English, which is crap, and I know that (and I don't give a damn about, btw).
The worldwide conquerors language isn't my first, nor second or third language. I'm Italian (and a proud hardcore Nationalist) and, unlike India or such, we never were dominated by her "majesty" fellas, nor, no matter (sadly!) the fall of WW2, ended dominated in a 100% cultural way by those. Defeated, yes. Dominated, no ;)

I've learned English alone, since back then (I'm not so young, born in 1979) in Italy public schools started to teach English only in the late '80 (private schools were a different thing, of course, but I was raised following our ancient values, not by the soft, weak rich ones, even if my family wasn't poor at all).

"IMO" is nothing but a short, "Internet slang" term. A garbage of modern world, nothing else, but since I tend to be lazy oh well, I tend to use that.

"NW" means New World, therefore used when American continent Theraphosidae are involved (no matter if North, Central or Southern ones).

"Scrooge". Well, read Dickens, ah ah ;-)

About "LP" I've said "hated" because I have noticed, more than once here, the disrespect for those (IMO amazing) Theraphosidae. Maybe because (and they are lucky, period) a lot of people here doesn't know what, unlike me, an Arachnid Ban (a total one) is. After the Ban occurred in Italy, in 2003, certain people would had "killed" for a, so "hated", Lasiodora parahybana to own.

About your pet, IMO I've said that your enclosure is: for me, too big. Without the good inches of substrate a Theraphosidae needs (you never know, after all, if a Theraphosidae feels/want the need for burrow/semi burrow etc) I have not saw a water dish, but if there's one, that's ok and IMO all you need for the humidity part.

The enclosure height is unacceptable for me when bulky/chubby NW terrestrials are involved. Things like that play a part in your issue, Lady.

Juma

Arachnopeon
You didn't get much of what I've said for two reasons: First, English. My English, which is crap, and I know that (and I don't give a damn about, btw).
The worldwide conquerors language isn't my first, nor second or third language. I'm Italian (and a proud hardcore Nationalist) and, unlike India or such, we never were dominated by her "majesty" fellas, nor, no matter (sadly!) the fall of WW2, ended dominated in a 100% cultural way by those. Defeated, yes. Dominated, no ;)

I've learned English alone, since back then (I'm not so young, born in 1979) in Italy public schools started to teach English only in the late '80 (private schools were a different thing, of course, but I was raised following our ancient values, not by the soft, weak rich ones, even if my family wasn't poor at all).

"IMO" is nothing but a short, "Internet slang" term. A garbage of modern world, nothing else, but since I tend to be lazy oh well, I tend to use that.

"NW" means New World, therefore used when American continent Theraphosidae are involved (no matter if North, Central or Southern ones).

"Scrooge". Well, read Dickens, ah ah ;-)

About "LP" I've said "hated" because I have noticed, more than once here, the disrespect for those (IMO amazing) Theraphosidae. Maybe because (and they are lucky, period) a lot of people here doesn't know what, unlike me, an Arachnid Ban (a total one) is. After the Ban occurred in Italy, in 2003, certain people would had "killed" for a, so "hated", Lasiodora parahybana to own.

About your pet, IMO I've said that your enclosure is: for me, too big. Without the good inches of substrate a Theraphosidae needs (you never know, after all, if a Theraphosidae feels/want the need for burrow/semi burrow etc) I have not saw a water dish, but if there's one, that's ok and IMO all you need for the humidity part.

The enclosure height is unacceptable for me when bulky/chubby NW terrestrials are involved. Things like that play a part in your issue, Lady.
Ok I understend you. Thanks for the tips.
So is not the length that you are concerned about, right? just the height, that can be easily solved with more substract, right?

Juma

Arachnopeon
I wish I spoke Portuguese :D Barren meaning there is very little in there for the T to feel secure, and yes to more substrate. Terrestrial Ts, should not be kept with such a height. The distance between the substrate surface and the lid should be no more than 150% the diagonal leg span of your tarantula. So if your T had a DLS of 2 cm, then the distance should be no more than 2.5 cm.
this is what i found about barren: unproductive,arid, barren, dry, dusty, poor . so is that what you mean? and why is that?
So, wait, if her leg has 2 cm then the distance between the substract and the top would have to be 2,5 cm ?? Thats so weird, why so little distance? I don't understend....

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
this is what i found about barren: unproductive,arid, barren, dry, dusty, poor . so is that what you mean? and why is that?
So, wait, if her leg has 2 cm then the distance between the substract and the top would have to be 2,5 cm ?? Thats so weird, why so little distance? I don't understend....
It is not the span of one leg. It is the span from the tip of the farthest rear leg on one side to the tip of the furthest front on the other side. We call it Diagonal Leg Span DLS.

Terrestrial Ts can have fatal falls from short heights.

They aren't built for climbing.

Their abdomens hold a lot of vital organs and a small fall could prove fatal.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
when terrestrial tarantulas (like yours) climb they are prone to falling. If they fall from too high they could suffer internal damage, some other injury, or especially a ruptured abdomen, which is basically a guaranteed death. You were also advised to remove the rocks because in the circumstances your tarantula does fall, lading on something hard greatly increased chances of an injury. Now 2.5cm for a 2cm tarantula is just a safety precaution. It's just eliminating all threats. A tarantula would most likely be fine from a fall much higher that that, but just to be safe, we don't want to take chances.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Barren, meaning there is not a lot of things in the tank for the Tarantula to hide in or around. make sense? Many animals don't feel safe out in the open.

Juma

Arachnopeon
Barren, meaning there is not a lot of things in the tank for the Tarantula to hide in or around. make sense? Many animals don't feel safe out in the open.
Oh, I see.... so more hiding places. ok.

Juma

Arachnopeon
So is not the length that you guys are concerned about, right? just the height, that can be easily solved with more substract, right?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So is not the length that you guys are concerned about, right? just the height, that can be easily solved with more substract, right?
Exactly! Height prevents large falls. Large falls are potentially deadly for bulkier tarantulas.

More horizontal space just means it's harder to find prey. This had never been an issue for my LP, she's a pig.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rule of thumb:

For terrestrials 3x legspan in width, no more than 1x legspan in heigth
For arboreals 3xlegspan in height and in my opinion at least 2x legspan in width to be able to roam around (which they do frequently)