why does tkg recommend obt?

Toff202

Arachnoknight
In my opinion, if you're comfortable with your Psalmopoeus spp. and feel ready for an Old World species, just go for it. I very much recommend Ceratogyrus spp.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
In my opinion, if you're comfortable with your Psalmopoeus spp. and feel ready for an Old World species, just go for it. I very much recommend Ceratogyrus spp.

Agreed, Ceratogyrus are a great first OW, and a beautiful, interesting genus to boot.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Eh, watch this OBT making a break for it to get an idea of what they are capable of, but don't blink or you'll miss it.

That accounts for the speed factor, which would not be an issue in and of itself. I mean with a mild-mannered spider, being able to escape in a heartbeat would be a nuisance to the owner and at the end of the day, just a threat to the spider itself in most cases, I think,

Now, here is an account of a bite. Contains a nasty word dropped in, but I think that in the interest of sharing info, it can be overlooked if it makes people consider what they could be letting themselves in for. Compound the risk if you have pets or children along with the risk of drawing unwelcome attention to keeping tarantulas and you'll get the idea why so many of us emphasize the need to be sure you have some experience. And even experience is not a guarantee, Murphy's Law will try to see to that.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Eh, watch this OBT making a break for it to get an idea of what they are capable of, but don't blink or you'll miss it.

That accounts for the speed factor, which would not be an issue in and of itself. I mean with a mild-mannered spider, being able to escape in a heartbeat would be a nuisance to the owner and at the end of the day, just a threat to the spider itself in most cases, I think,

Now, here is an account of a bite. Contains a nasty word dropped in, but I think that in the interest of sharing info, it can be overlooked if it makes people consider what they could be letting themselves in for. Compound the risk if you have pets or children along with the risk of drawing unwelcome attention to keeping tarantulas and you'll get the idea why so many of us emphasize the need to be sure you have some experience. And even experience is not a guarantee, Murphy's Law will try to see to that.

wow, thats bad and fast. not what i want lol.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
One good rule of thumb when it comes to OBTs is don't open up their enclosure and jab at them with the blunt end of a pair of forceps . Secondly don't have a video camera in the other hand . Have both hands free and a catch cup ready . I hope that idiot in the video got a solid bite for all his efforts in stupidity . OBTs are not something to casually play around with . They mean serious business and will ruin your day if you give them the chance . Next to a Lionfish , that might be the most painful bite/sting that I've felt .

Trenor

Arachnoprince

Yeah, they do have some speed and that's a good view of it in action. But that owner was totally at fault in the video. At no time was it necessary for him to be poking the OBT and it most likely wouldn't have bolted otherwise. A big difference in owning OW vs NW is you might get away with minor hurts doing dumb things to NW Ts but OW Ts can really make you regret your dumb decisions. Anyone who goes around poking their Ts like that shouldn't have OW or NW or any IMO.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
@Trenor agreed 100% . Why do people think it's okay to be cruel to their pets . I am a huge OBT fan and I understand that a lot of people get one just so they can mess with them . That's not the point of an OBT . They should be treated like a pet honey badger that's great at playing hide and seek . You probably aren't going to see them very often and if you make the mistake of looking them you'll be sorry if you find them .

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Oh, I'm in complete agreement with all that. But it does serve to show their potential. That was intentional and a bad idea, but I guess there wouldn't be many videos illustrating their speed when an OBT randomly decides it has had enough. So i suppose it does serve a purpose in a sense. Lesson 1: Don't intentionally provoke your OBT.
Lesson 2: This is what can happen if you provoke your spider, even unintentionally, so be prepared. Use caution and don't play with a flamethrower until you can comfortably, confidently, and reliantly light a match without burning down the house.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
They're hardy as hell.
This is clearly the main reason you see them on such lists...but its exceptionally mis-leading to a newcomer, as basically every single beginner or intermediate species is exceptionally hardy, in fact, most ts are quite hardy...so when people read these things they come to believe that this is a unique characteristic for the OBT, which its not. Like care sheets, these lists are often compiled by non-owners of the species, generally just a regurgitation of someone else's list....with experience it is very obvious as to the [low] quality of these lists (and care sheets)

what are some new worlds that have the stunning colors of bright orange?
O. phillippinus and T. gigas...and every red legged brachy....A. bicoloratum as well. Orange isn't unique to the obt.

cold blood

Staff member
it was in response to the phillipinus being from the Phillipines...as its pretty obvious...lol...I just thought it was a funny line:)

And yes, all the others I mentioned are indeed NW.

Toff202

Arachnoknight
it was in response to the phillipinus being from the Phillipines...as its pretty obvious...lol...I just thought it was a funny line:)

And yes, all the others I mentioned are indeed NW.
I get it. Saying it's not new world probably would've been better.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
wow, thats bad and fast. not what i want lol.
Fast for sure. The only "bad" thing of that video is the level of stupidity of the owner. He/She literally pissed off the P.murinus, and for what? Plus, a too little enclosure for a juvenile...

awiec

Arachnoprince
And those skinny legs of it can move very fast. It can be out of it's cage in the blink of an eye.
I'd still would be more likely to recommend that genus over an OBT, I have the aboreal member of that genus and she is a very chill spider if you aren't trying to dig her up.

While I know Rick isn't a big fan, I find T.gigas to be a damn near perfect alternative to an OBT: They are very orange, fast, relatively hardy, can be a bit sassy, don't want to bite you (from what I've read it is mild and rare to be bitten), you'll actually see it and are reasonably priced. I would go for some of the other African OW listed once you've raised that Psalmo to adulthood as they give you some good experience due to their speed and attitude. Plus when you feel you are ready for an OBT, the other color morphs (which I find prettier) should be more common.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
While I know Rick isn't a big fan, I find T.gigas to be a damn near perfect alternative to an OBT: They are very orange, fast, relatively hardy, can be a bit sassy, don't want to bite you (from what I've read it is mild and rare to be bitten), you'll actually see it and are reasonably priced. I would go for some of the other African OW listed once you've raised that Psalmo to adulthood as they give you some good experience due to their speed and attitude. Plus when you feel you are ready for an OBT, the other color morphs (which I find prettier) should be more common.

Actually, gigas is the one Tap that interests me, and it's so different from the others I wouldn't be surprised if it gets placed in it's own genus one day.

I had and bred the brown leg/green carapace P murinus in the late 1990's ('Starburst baboon'), when the orange form was still rare. I wish Americans had kept it going in the hobby here, but it wasn't until the big surge of new CBB species from Europe in the mid 2000's that OW's started to be accepted by the average T owner. Until then, OW's were slow movers for dealers, except Poecilotheria. The changes in the hobby in the last 10 years are incredible.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Actually, gigas is the one Tap that interests me, and it's so different from the others I wouldn't be surprised if it gets placed in it's own genus one day.

I had and bred the brown leg/green carapace P murinus in the late 1990's ('Starburst baboon'), when the orange form was still rare. I wish Americans had kept it going in the hobby here, but it wasn't until the big surge of new CBB species from Europe in the mid 2000's that OW's started to be accepted by the average T owner. Until then, OW's were slow movers for dealers, except Poecilotheria. The changes in the hobby in the last 10 years are incredible.
They certainty aren't as metallic as the rest, they're actually pretty hairy and will actually threat pose.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like to address the OBT for beginners issue this way.
G. Pulchripes is a nerf dart gun, p. Murinus is a fully automatic Uzi. You've been enjoying your nerf gun quite a bit for months, you have your eye on a BB gun, but you are thinking of just getting the uzi. Have you been practicing strict trigger discipline, never ever sweeping someone with your barrel, treating it as always loaded, able to disassemble and reassemble it perfectly, spending hours perfecting your skills at the range, keeping it locked up securely and out of anyone's reach? If so, you might be ready for the uzi. More than likely though, since you know it's just a nerf gun, you don't fear it or respect it enough to treat it properly. It's probably laying out in the front yard loaded because you got distracted when the ice cream man showed up.
The responsibility of owning something dangerous means you first must be completely prepared and willing for the worst possible scenario to occour. Its possible that you've been treating your NW terrestrials like deadly killers and are entirely ready for a lightning fast OW, but the fact that you even say "cup" with OBT ... IMHO those are two three letter words that just have nothing to do with each other.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I like to address the OBT for beginners issue this way.
G. Pulchripes is a nerf dart gun, p. Murinus is a fully automatic Uzi. You've been enjoying your nerf gun quite a bit for months, you have your eye on a BB gun, but you are thinking of just getting the uzi. Have you been practicing strict trigger discipline, never ever sweeping someone with your barrel, treating it as always loaded, able to disassemble and reassemble it perfectly, spending hours perfecting your skills at the range, keeping it locked up securely and out of anyone's reach? If so, you might be ready for the uzi. More than likely though, since you know it's just a nerf gun, you don't fear it or respect it enough to treat it properly. It's probably laying out in the front yard loaded because you got distracted when the ice cream man showed up.
The responsibility of owning something dangerous means you first must be completely prepared and willing for the worst possible scenario to occour. Its possible that you've been treating your NW terrestrials like deadly killers and are entirely ready for a lightning fast OW, but the fact that you even say "cup" with OBT ... IMHO those are two three letter words that just have nothing to do with each other.
not sure this is a good comparison, lol. all guns are the same once you learn the fundamentals. i own a few Ar10's, Ar15's, glocks, ruger, barrett 50 cal. forgot to add 3 AK47, and 2 sks, and just got into class 3 weapons, a.k.a. full auto. i can't understand how to compare them to ow vs. nw because with firearms they are all the same. you load them, and shoot them. the common factors of safety is the weapon will hit where the barrel is aimed when trigger pulled. this wouldnt be the same for a tarantula that is not predictable. the gun will only do what you make it do.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Glad you understand the gun lingo then. I'm just saying as far as damage goes. a nerf gun Chaco presents 0 risk of damage. A BB gun a little more , a single shot revolver now deadly levels of damage, but just one shot at a time, etc etc. Obviously if you have the discipline to responsibly own and operate a firearm you have a good idea of the danger and preparedness required, the one key difference is that your 9mm isn't going to escape from your gun safe and shoot you in the foot the next time you're on the way to the fridge at 2am