Which's more venomous...a Black Widow or a Poecilotheria?

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TobusRex said:
there are 2 diff species of spiders known as "daddylonglegs", one of which is a spider and one of which is a "huntsman". The skinny little thing I've always known of as a "daddylonglegs" is all legs, tiny little body, and probably the one that isn't a true spider. From what I understand they have potent venom though, but their fangs are unable to penetrate human skin
There are two different "Daddy Longlegs." The one that is a spider is long and thin, light tan, and has two body segments. It is a spider and has very weak venom. Hardly strong enough to kill the gnats and other small insects that it eats. The other looks like an orange aspirin with long legs. These are called "Harvestmen" and have NO venom and NO fangs. They don't kill spiders. They are vegeterians. Usually they eat rotten vegetation, but will also eat live plants.

Jeri

Last edited:

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TobusRex said:
I'm a newbie here so I'm sure my knowledge is dwarfed by most folks here. But from what I've researched there are 2 diff species of spiders known as "daddylonglegs", one of which is a spider and one of which is a "huntsman". The skinny little thing I've always known of as a "daddylonglegs"

Razor, can you give specifics on your Baboon spider bite? How did it affect you? How would you rate the pain of the bite? I'm not trying to be morbid, I'm just curious.

From what I've researched, apparently the "trapdoor spiders" are pretty dangerous "venom" wise. Do any of you folks have trapdoor spiders?
Yes, thats what I meant with the Daddy Longs, as for the King Baboon bite, well, it was a juvenille, so Im sure it wouldnt have been as bad as an adult bite.
However it wasnt a snap of its body striking me with its teeth, it lowered its fangs into my hand and pumped me for about 2-3 seconds. Know how a burn hurts the next day? like a cigarette or lighter burn? For about 10-15 minutes it felt like had a cigarette burn on my hand. I dont think being bit is nearly as bad as its hyped up to be, then again, nothing ever is.
My friend was bitten by a trapdoor, and about 15 tarantulas, he said the trapdoor bite made him to sick to work the next day. I dont know how true that is.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
RazorRipley said:
The daddy long legs is a spider
I was talking about the harvestmen.

Yeah sorry people for ressurecting this old thread, I was searching for other types of mygalamorphs and saw what Mizm said and didn't see it corrected so sorry just had to do it.:p

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Didn't want to do this, but since it seems to be still confusing people, I'm going to quote myself...

Wade said:
They are arachnids, and "harvestmen" is the correct common name for the group (order Opiliones).

It's true they're not venomous. I learned this lesson the hard way when I brought this issue up at a cookout during the first ATS conference in 1999. I asked if was true that they had "deadly" venom but lacked big enough fangs to deliver it. I was nearly laughed out of the place by R.G. Breene (AKA Spiderbob) and G.B.Edwards, among others. Miep O'Brien made the comment "Yeah and tarantulas explode from cactuses too!". Embarassing, but lesson learned!

To confuse things further, there are spiders that are known as "dady long legs"-the cellar spiders (Pholcidae).

Wade

I have never heard of anyone outside of this thread calling huntsmen spiders "daddy long legs". The only explanantion I can think of is someone is confusing the common name huntsman (usually applied to spider family Sparassidae) with the name harvestmen, which is the common name for the arachnid ORDER Opiliones.

The actual spiders that are sometimes called "daddy long legs" are the cellar spiders, Pholcidae. These spiders have small bodies and long thin legs, which causes them to resemble harvestmen at first glance, so it's not surprising they would share some common names. Upon closer examination, the cellar spiders have two distict body sections, venom glands and can spin silk. None of these traits applies to the harvestmen.

Wade

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah come to think of it I have never seen a harvestmen, just a bunch of cellar spiders. Very common everywhere you could possibly look.

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For me it was just the opposite where I grew up. The celler spiders were always just spiders and the term "Daddy Longlegs" was always reserved for the little orange pills found walking around the yard (Harvestmen).

Jeri

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
danread said:
What is it with people ressurecting dead threads at the moment? People are joining in on a converstion that happens over a year ago like it was yesterday. I've seen a few recently where they tried to answer a question from people who don't even post here any more :rolleyes:
I haven't posted anything in last few weeks but I still read the board daily. Actually, I was quite surprised that this thread was picked up again...I only started it in Nov 2002. :cool:

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
pixi14369 said:
What about the six eyed crab spider???
Woah, are you sure they're venemous? Cause they're everywhere in florida, and I've never heard of them being venemous.

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know what in Poland is nr. 1.
I think Cheiracanthium punctorium - it can cause necrosis.

And for T's the mose venomous are Poeciltheria and I think Stromatopelma and Heteroscodra.

Black vidow is much more venomous than any other tarantula. Imagine bite from 6" Latrodectus mactans... that would by fatal.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wade said:
Didn't want to do this, but since it seems to be still confusing people, I'm going to quote myself...

I have never heard of anyone outside of this thread calling huntsmen spiders "daddy long legs". The only explanantion I can think of is someone is confusing the common name huntsman (usually applied to spider family Sparassidae) with the name harvestmen, which is the common name for the arachnid ORDER Opiliones.

The actual spiders that are sometimes called "daddy long legs" are the cellar spiders, Pholcidae. These spiders have small bodies and long thin legs, which causes them to resemble harvestmen at first glance, so it's not surprising they would share some common names. Upon closer examination, the cellar spiders have two distict body sections, venom glands and can spin silk. None of these traits applies to the harvestmen.

Wade
I though dady long leg's were Insects, not arachnids.

Because they only have one body part.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Something is getting lost in the translation....Insects have 3 body parts, 6 legs, etc. Think of a fly.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
insect: 3 body parts, 6 legs, usually has antennae, not an arachnid.

spider (most including daddy long-legs): 2 body parts, 8 legs, is an arachnid.
Note: there is one species of spider that is primitive that still has its segmented abdomen.

harvestmen: 2 body parts superficialy fused together to look like one, but still two in reality, 8 legs, not a spider but is also an arachnid.

There are many types of arachnids including scorpions and solifugids that are not spiders and many other out in the world too. The word arachnid doesn't necessarily refer to spider. :p

Last edited:

TobusRex

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thanks for the info Ripley. I always hear "a tarantula bite is no more painful than a bee sting." I wonder who the retard is who came up with that one, because it just so happens that a bee sting hurts like hell. If a T bite hurts like a bee sting, I'd just as soon forego the experience.

I won't handle any tarantula I get. I'm not afraid of tarantulas at all, but I think it would scare the little critters.

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A Black Widow (latrodectus mactans) is very venomous, it has a very high level of concentrated neurotoxine in it's bite, it is more dangerous than a pokie, but they can give a painful bite as well.

Greetz Joey
hmmmfff Lukeeeee........I am your father hhmmffffff