Votes: 24 58.5%
  • old world

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
there needs to be another option for both. :rofl:
i love Avicularia, but Omothymus, Cyriopagopus and Poecilotheria are very close behind.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
NW terrestrials are the only thing I'm interested in at the moment. I like that they don't web much, and are often visible as adults. I don't want a pet hole or a pet web.

I can't say that I'll never consider an arboreal, but I will never own a T with medically significant venom, or one that just scares the crap out of me with its speed and aggression. Just not into the idea.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
At my level of experience (just over three years), I only keep New Worlds right now, though I like terrestrials, arboreals, and webbers equally.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
OW because they have way more attitude! But I don't discriminate too much, I could never give up my G. pulchra or A. metallica after all.

skyvie

Arachnopeon
New World by a long shot. I've considered a few OWs, but they aren't my cup of tea at the moment. Some of the fossorials interest me for something different, but I just prefer the looks & habits of the NW Ts. I'm still amazed at how so much variety exists within the NW and haven't explored all of them yet!

FinnMosin

Arachnopeon
Out of 14 tarantulas, I only own a mature male Psalmopoeus irminia and a sub adult female Lasiodora parahybana as far as new world. Most new worlds do very little for me, but there are the few I will eventually track down.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'd like to think I like OW's better, but my collection is dominated by NW's and 2/3 of my want list is NW's. OW's intrigue me more, but I keep buying NW's

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I enjoy all my tarantulas but the concentration, use of tactics, and respect that old worlds demand when working with them is relaxing to me.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Off the top of my head I think I'm close to a 50/50 split, they are both great and have their own strengths.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This survey needs a 3rd choice: BOTH, 2 choices how limiting, that's like owning only 2 Ts :p

creepa

Arachnoknight
For me its old worlds... but i have to say that i'm beginning to like Avicularia's again...
My 5 year old son got a Avivularia versicolor sling from a good friend of mine at a reptile expo and i got 3 A. sp. Peru purple, sp purple Peru or whatever as freebee's in a trade and they'r so cute...:bag:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Can't vote as I like both. To be honest I don't see the label OW/NW when I choose to buy a T. I just see a T I like the look of.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
If I had to choose one I'd go with NW for now, although I'm starting to take a liking to some OW's.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Can't vote as I like both. To be honest I don't see the label OW/NW when I choose to buy a T. I just see a T I like the look of.
This is pretty much my stance too. I think that there's a lot of 'newbies should avoid OW and only go with NW' which I do agree with if only because newbies ( and this was me not so long ago, honestly) want or think that they need to handle their Ts, which is never a good idea with OWs, but same for NWs. So right now I don't care whether it's OW/NW, only whether I like it or not.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
While I see some really beautiful T's in the OW's, most just aren't worth the pain to me (bite risk) considering many people are calling a lot of them Pet Holes. This is not to say NW's aren't Pet Holes because it is the nature of the burrowing beast. It is just that I don't see something different that excites me enough to ignore that risk. I can understand some people preferring OW to avoid urticating hairs.

I do have an H. gigas and I am even considering the idea of getting a second one if I find I don't have a female. I am fascinated with the water aspect for this species since I have seen comments that a pool of water will bring it out into the open a lot more. I am about to rehouse mine in some manner to utilize this soon. But I am struggling on how I want to design the pool (large water dish, etc.)

I think if I was to get a second OW species it might be a Ceratogyrus darlingi

Last edited:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I like seeing pics of OWs but I can't imagine owning one, even when I'm more experienced. I don't think having a fast T with such strong venom would be fun. I like my terrestrial NWs. They are out a lot and are pretty easy to take care of.

Last edited:

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like both NW and OW, but I've been slowly selling off most of my NW terrestrials and have become very interested in OW semi-arboreals. And I've noticed I keep collecting Avics. It just depends on the species, I suppose. So many different quirks to different species nw and ow.