• new world

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • old world

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
All I own is new worlds right now so I can't really answer the original question, but my favorite species is the E. Sp. Red. I may have an answer to the original question by this time on Wednesday.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I like both but they're just very different. I haven't had OWs for very long and only have 3 but I really like them. I actually really enjoy fast tarantulas; you just have to be aware of it and respect it as well as their venom. My OWs aren't very defensive...I have 2 Pokies and an H. pulchripes so my next OW will probably be something a bit more ornery. NW are great because they're generally pretty easy-going and not difficult to take care of...and there isn't the highly potent venom to take into account. They both have their pros and cons but I like both.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I love all of them without exception, but I only keep NW. The OW are too fast for my comfort level and the venom toxicity concerns me having other animals in the house that would be at risk if one escaped. I want to enjoy doing feeding and maintenance and do not want it to be more stressful than it has to be. My NW sometimes make my heart race a bit and that is plenty.
Poecilotheria have always been one of my top favourites, looks wise. Every single species in that genus is beyond incredible looking. Ceratogyrus have always interested me as well because of the horn. Ornithoctonus aureotibialis is probably one of the most stunning creatures on the planet.
They're all miracles of nature... every last one of them.

gobey

Arachnoknight
NW terrestrials are the only thing I'm interested in at the moment. I like that they don't web much, and are often visible as adults. I don't want a pet hole or a pet web.

I can't say that I'll never consider an arboreal, but I will never own a T with medically significant venom, or one that just scares the crap out of me with its speed and aggression. Just not into the idea.
I said the same thing when I started collecting

Now I have 5 baboons and 2 pokies and love them all as much as my big new world terrestrials

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'm a sucker for NW terrestrials. Not to say that won't ever change, as I don't have any OW Ts, but as of right now I don't like the idea of a lightning-quick pet hole that hates me.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
NW, NW, NW. Specifically NW terrestrials. Even the "angry snowflake" of H. maculata doesn't hold a candle to a P. cancerides or A. geniculata.

I want my spider to come at me with the fury of a thousand dying suns.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm a sucker for NW terrestrials. Not to say that won't ever change, as I don't have any OW Ts, but as of right now I don't like the idea of a lightning-quick pet hole that hates me.
Get a Chilobrachys species. Then it'll be a lightning-quick pet web tube that hates you :D

draiko

Arachnosquire
OW's. I love the way they look. Theyre smoothness and oval behinds.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Get a Chilobrachys species. Then it'll be a lightning-quick pet web tube that hates you :D
Mine started out as a lightning quick pet hole that hates me, now it's a lightning quick brown GBB on combat drugs that hates me probably as much as I hate it, I'm punching the next person who sends me an Asian OW as a surprise freebie.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Old world. The poecilotheria and chilobrachys genus to be specific. To me, new worlds are what the average person would think is the typical tarantula; big, brown, and hairy. Old worlds on the other hand are like giant exotic spiders.

My favorite characteristics of the genus I listed above is that they are; fast growing, quick, colorful, good webbers, lack urticating hairs and are "leggy."

The cyriopagopus genus is something I'd like to venture soon, but only the arboreals. Specifically the sp hati hati and sp Sumatran tiger (if I can ever find one! Ugh). The one old world characteristic I can't stand are the evil pet holes that you rarely see (as stated on the comments above lol).

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Mine started out as a lightning quick pet hole that hates me, now it's a lightning quick brown GBB on combat drugs that hates me probably as much as I hate it, I'm punching the next person who sends me an Asian OW as a surprise freebie.
This is part of the reason I don't order Ts online and would rather pick them up at cons and LPS :D No surprise OBTs for me!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This is part of the reason I don't order Ts online and would rather pick them up at cons and LPS :D No surprise OBTs for me!
I think I'd have preferred an OBT, at least they're bright orange and easy to spot :rofl:

I'm the other way around, the only one I picked up from a pet shop (an A. Avicularia) died from what I assume was nematodes, I'd rather risk getting sent the odd angry teleporting surprise freebie.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I think I'd have preferred an OBT, at least they're bright orange and easy to spot :rofl:
I'm the other way around, the only one I picked up from a pet shop (an A. Avicularia) died from what I assume was nematodes, I'd rather risk getting sent the odd angry teleporting surprise freebie.
I've rescued a few from Petco but I'm fortunate to have a good number of responsible reptile shops near me that are really great with their Ts. I also don't like slings under 1/2" and in my experience if they're under 1" sizes vary - I've seen 3/4" that are closer to 1/4" and 1/2" closer to 1" so I don't really trust peoples measurements without being able to see them

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've rescued a few from Petco but I'm fortunate to have a good number of responsible reptile shops near me that are really great with their Ts. I also don't like slings under 1/2" and in my experience if they're under 1" sizes vary - I've seen 3/4" that are closer to 1/4" and 1/2" closer to 1" so I don't really trust peoples measurements without being able to see them
Our nearest one that sells T's is pretty shocking tbf.

I try to get slings with a leg span of 1" or bigger but I've not had too much of a problem with 1-2cm slings (had a few 1cm slings as freebies), they're a bit of a pain to feed but I make it work.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Our nearest one that sells T's is pretty shocking tbf.

I try to get slings with a leg span of 1" or bigger but I've not had too much of a problem with 1-2cm slings (had a few 1cm slings as freebies), they're a bit of a pain to feed but I make it work.
I just hate pinheads and I'm terrified I'm gonna lose anything under 1/2" :zombie:

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
I just hate pinheads and I'm terrified I'm gonna lose anything under 1/2" :zombie:
I personally don't like anything under 1" because of how much of pita feeding it is. I currently have 1" Chilobrachys and even feeding small crickets is annoying. I do have a couple 1/4" p.sazimai that are being gifted to me, let's see how that goes...

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I personally don't like anything under 1" because of how much of pita feeding it is. I currently have 1" Chilobrachys and even feeding small crickets is annoying. I do have a couple 1/4" p.sazimai that are being gifted to me, let's see how that goes...
I ran out of pinheads recently for my 3/4" N tripepii...tried feeding a medium sized "cricket drumstick" to no avail...then ripped off the other back leg and the mouth parts so it couldn't hurt her...the cricket died and she had no interest at all because it wouldn't wiggle. Tried again with another one, ripping off mouth parts and the majority of the back legs to leave the cricket alive and she went for it, has been carrying it around in her mouth for two days now. :smug: She should be molting soon and will be big enough for a small cricket so I won't have to do any more cricket surgery in the near future :nurse: