when my tarantula matures...

spiderguy

Arachnopeon
When my tarantula matures james told me somebody on arachnopets will send me a male/female tarantula (Aphonopelma Anax) in the mail. I was just wondering if that is true.

Thanks for your help,
Cyrus

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think you are referring to a 50/50 trade. This is not something that people 'automatically' do. You have to arrange it. The point is so the tarantula can be bred. If you have a female, then someone may wish to send you a male to breed with her. If you have a male, then you would be the one to send the spider. I think Todd Gearhart has the rules of 50/50 etiquette on his website if you're interested. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about this yet.

kellygirl

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well that might be true. Many people in the community will engage in breeding loans, usually sending a mature male tarantula to someone who has a mature female since after a male has its maturing molt its life is limited and has less value as a pet except for breeding purposes. This loan will be based on either a trade or a promise of 50% of the babies that result from a successful mating. Some people will trade their mature male for a spiderling(s) or sell it outright.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I posted my newly matured male a. avicularia on the "Invertsonals" board on this website just a couple of weeks ago and shipped him off this Monday to Texas to meet 3 girls! If you're LOOKING for a male or female of any species, that's a good place to start!

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Cyrus,

I wouldnt lie to you! Most people will either do a 50/50 breeding loan, and either they send you a mater male/female or opposite of what you have,or you will just send them yours. I also wouldnt really worry about that since you have an Aphonopelma anax and those are slow growers, yours may mature in 5 years i guess. So hope that answers your question. Any more call me! lol.

James

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
I think you are referring to a 50/50 trade. This is not something that people 'automatically' do. You have to arrange it. The point is so the tarantula can be bred. If you have a female, then someone may wish to send you a male to breed with her. If you have a male, then you would be the one to send the spider. I think Todd Gearhart has the rules of 50/50 etiquette on his website if you're interested. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about this yet.

kellygirl
I should have read your post before i replied. You took the words right out of my mouth, anyway....

James