What's YOUR top five, most favorite Tarantula list.....

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
grammostola aureostriata
acanthoscuria geniculata
aphonopelma bicoloratum
avicularia metallica

and then something OW, either Citharischius Crawshayi, or perhaps something from the genus poecilotheria.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My favorite would have to be...

1. Ceratogyrus marshalli(unique with the straight horn and webs alot)
2. Brachypelma emilia(gorgeous colors, and visible all the time)
3. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens(gorgeous colors and webs alot)
4. Poecilotheria metallica(stunning colors)
5. Acanthoscurria geniculata(great colors, size, and visibility)

iucandi

Arachnopeon
grammostola aureostriata
acanthoscuria geniculata
aphonopelma bicoloratum
avicularia metallica

and then something OW, either Citharischius Crawshayi, or perhaps something from the genus poecilotheria.

Is there any specific Psalmopoeus that isn't very aggressive?

_Nagash_

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For the moment i think:
T.blondi
L.parahybana
P.metallica
P.irmina
E.murinus

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is there any specific Psalmopoeus that isn't very aggressive?
I didn't mention psalmopoeus. As far as I know, they are similar to pokies but without the medically significant venom. psalmopoeus irminia is on my wish list though...

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
THE TOP 5:

B. smithi
C. cyaneopubescens
H. lividum
P. ornata
P. irminia

All but the pokie is self explanatory so I'll explain the pokie choice. It gets large, has "that classic look", and is one of the cheapest pokies. The only reason most people would rather go with P. regalis is based on reputation alone.

P.S. Your top 5 T's shouldn't be the 5 most expensive or 5 most sought after T's , unless they are definitely your top 5 and you can feasibly afford them.

In a perfect world where money is no object my top 5 would look more like this.

P. metallica
E. olivacea
M. balfouri
P. subfusca
C. schioedtei

The problem with this list is those 5 at 1" or smaller would run around $2000 here.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have 2 of these now, the other three are goals of mine.

Monocentropus balfouri
Cyriopagopus sp. 'Blue'
Poecilotheria subfusca
Haplopelma longipes
Phormictopus cancerides

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well.... i buy what i like so it would have to be what i own...

p. irminia
p.cambridgei
H. maculata
p. faciata
a. versicolor

thats realy in no paticular order... its hard to pic a favorit

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I read this thread everyday since it was initially posted. Still don't have a top five and will wait til I am longer-in-the-tooth before responding.

But feel one that should be included is Haplopelma longipes, this is the species that gave me the T buying bug. This is the one that cemented my addiction. Extremely active, beautiful, and fascinating. Sleek and tenacious as a Doberman and quick as a Greyhound. An Asian classic!

I know as my collection grows this one may fade to the backdrop or remain a favorite.

The other evening I disturbed it's evening prowlings and it instantly performed these neat and deft acrobatics and went back into the hideaway log that serves as it's retreat on the ceiling.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I'm new to the hobby and I've been learning about some of the T species on this site. Here's my list of favorites:

1: B. smithi (only T I own, beautiful, hardy, docile, good for beginners)
2: A. geniculata (beautiful, large size, generally docile, great display T)
3: A. versicolor (beautiful coloration, generally docile)
4: P. metallica ([despite OBT nature] really beautiful, sought-after)
5: A. avicularia (docile, good for beginners)

I'm not interested in ever owning a P. metallica or any OBTs for that matter, but they're really nice to look at. :D A. geniculata and A. versicolor are the two that I'm interested in buying someday.

iucandi

Arachnopeon
Hmmm..

A.geniculata
P.regalis
T.blondi
H.maculata
E.cyanognathus

and
and....:)

The H. maculata is an insanely gorgeous t. I don't know much about them and it doesn't seem like many people have one- i could be completely wrong.I guess its just because I haven't read much on here about them. Anyways, I wouldn't mind owning one- because of its beauty- but I noticed that it doesn't have any urtricating hairs on its back, so am assuming that its an OW. Honestly, it looks mean as hell. Are they insanely aggressive?

iucandi

Arachnopeon
Heteroscodra maculata

But feel one that should be included is Haplopelma longipes, this is the species that gave me the T buying bug. This is the one that cemented my addiction. Extremely active, beautiful, and fascinating. Sleek and tenacious as a Doberman and quick as a Greyhound. An Asian classic!
]
How aggressive is the Haplopelma longipes (Cobalt Blue)?

Are they really prone to running out of their tank?

Are they obligate burrowers?

They're beautiful!

Last edited:

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol, you want too much.. work your way through the approximated 'stages'.ie brachy, grammastolas. youl learn more, and understand better which type of tarantula you like, and can REALLY care for. You seem very interested in Ts, iv seen many people go out and buy many Ts because of their status in the hobby, just because they are rare and end up with having alot of money wasted because they just wernt experienced to understand the different Ts requirements..
start small and then buy more, i would recommend having a rosea or nearly any brachy, theyr one of the nicest looking family of ts available.
maybe a GBB if you just cant settle for one of the 'staple' pet species. theyr reletively cheap and hardy things. very beautiful too.
Im not tying to grip at you, but it is a shame when inexperienced keepers loose specimens of sout after species through neglect, knowingly or not. P metallica is the main one that springs to mind, numerous people i have spoke to in Uk, all being rather younger..teens so thats def part of it, have lost very nice Ts due to neglect knowingly or not.
I dont like the animals having to suffer in such a way.
for instance i would rather wait to buy a Cyrio borneo black, and let experienced breeders actually get them a bit more stable in the hobby, which i cant wait for.
i think sometimes people just forget that although they have just bought it down a road, or off the net, some of these species, even some that are being CB as well come from a jungle, or some arid location in the wild, and not all of those arrive to the desired country/ pet shop alive. There should be some kind of hierarchy for WC new trade species, being sold to breeders, then CB to public, unfortunately that just wouldnt work and couldnt be implemented. By all means, buy what you want jsut think carefully about the species in general, and how experienced you really are for the desired species. If its a rare one, definately try and get it mated when mature. Thats kinda a responsibilty i don on myself.
keep the enthusiasm, no floor there. Im sure you havent been in the hobby long but have already picked up much. I dont wanna bring you down at all, just let you make a wiser decision on which you like and why you like it.;)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How aggressive is the Haplopelma longipes (Cobalt Blue)?

Are they really prone to running out of their tank?

Are they obligate burrowers?

They're beautiful!
Haplopelma longipes has various common names usually associated with "Tiger". They aren't Cobalt Blues, those are Haplopelma lividum. The Cobalt Blues are known to burrow and become "pet holes". I have about a dozen or two other Ts I want to get before investing in a Cobalt Blue. Yet, I would like to see if the set-up I have for my longipes would enhance the Cobalt Blue's behavior.

The longipes is usually dark with lighter abdomen with "tiger stripe-like" chevrons. The cephalothorax can be dark or lighter mottled coloration.

My longipes hides under my hideaway log through most of the daylight hours which I permitted to only a single entrance as one is set tight against the glass. And I have placed a piece of posterboard on that side for maximum light deprivation. I provided the retreat/burrow myself. The longipes is quite active throughout the night too. Happy times.

Last edited:

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
#1 P. rufilata. I saw it some days ago and I haven't slept well since then. I dream that I receive some spiders and I put them in a communal tank, and I'm worried about them eating each other... well, maybe that will be in another post
#2 A. purpurea. I have one !!! My little loved one, who was the first to put a leg on me, and made me lose my fear of touching T's
#3 A.huriana. Just fuzzy enough to make a pillow with their molts. Just buy some cream to help your skin recover for urticant hairs
=== this ends my really loved ones, and starts the others I like
#4. Avics in general. If I had to chose a species, I'd say A. versicolor, because I have one and I don't want her to be annoyed with me
#5 I don't know :S I'm in that point where you are beginning to think about OW. Maybe Psalmopoeus irminia???? ( I know it's not OW, but it's very defensive, and has a not so mild bite, almost OW)

I have 2 B.smithis, and I like them, but I like just them because I'm taking care of them. I don't really like the species, they're just too quiet.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where is the H. vonwirthi from?

Also, what is the Selencosmia ? I wasn't able to find anything about it

Why does everyone have a T. blondi or other type of bird eater?

Is the Psalmopoeus irminia an active arboreal?
H. vonwirthi is asian, selencosmia is the misspelled genus name of the australlian tarantulas, bird eaters are basically any tarantula but size is a factor in that decision and P. irminia is an attractive, fiesty new world arboreal that acts more like old world spiders because it has no uricating hairs.

Time to go study for microbiology.

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I had a P.irminia that I sold not to long ago. This was one crazy ass spider, so crazy that it was the only spider out of my 14 others that was just too insane to handle. It was in a defensive posture before I could open the cage. If you hold your it is either a stoner and to mellow to care or it's not a P.irminia.