What's YOUR largest Scolopendra sp.?

dehaani

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There have been some really chunky Sc. heros. I only ever had one and it died in a bad moult at about 3".

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I knew somebody that claims they had a heros that was 16 inches too but I strongly suspect they included the terminal legs and antennae. It was kept at The SnakeFarm close to San Antonio. I asked "How do you know it was 16"?" He showed me the terr it was kept in, it was 16" long and said when it was against the glass it would touch each end of the terr. Another story with no pics though haha, just another claim with no real evidence unfortunately.
If the total length was 16", I wonder how long the BL would be? 13ish? I can't wait to see the actual evidence of one of these US beasts

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's what I was thinking, 13ish if it's true, that would be weird though, ..all the claims but no pics of it. A Sc. galapogoensis I have hit 9 inches. A bigger one is coming up on a molt, I think it will hit 10 inches or more, I'll post a pic after it molts. I really like these but like most pedes, you don't see them much. They are chunky and I think the long antennae make them look even bigger. Pictures don't pic up the size very well.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awesome man, I can't wait to see it! galapogoensis are one of my favs. *adds it to christmas wishlist*

swatc1h

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
left the hobby scene awhile back . here's a arizonensis on a step stool upon it's arrival . back then these centipedes were cheap .

---------- Post added 11-03-2012 at 11:19 AM ----------

out of the six this one was the biggest baby arizonensis .

Last edited:

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow the one on the step stool looks nice!! how much did you pay for that back then? and when was this?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Had a report from a local of a heros with a total length of 16", he is a reliable guy and a framer (carpenter) and 16" is a standard rule in framing, its the length between studs.
Not to nitpick here, but 16" is not the length between studs. It's more like 14.5" because the layout includes the stud which is 1.5". As far as my biggest pede, I think I have 2-3 S. hardwickei that are close to 8" BL. I'll try and get some pics and add them to this thread soon.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not to nitpick here, but 16" is not the length between studs. It's more like 14.5" because the layout includes the stud which is 1.5". As far as my biggest pede, I think I have 2-3 S. hardwickei that are close to 8" BL. I'll try and get some pics and add them to this thread soon.
Well I haven't posted anything yet without being corrected, so why should that post have been the exception? :D

zangfroid

Arachnopeon
Puerto rican giant..No pics with ruler.But he made my 8.5+" dehanni look small,lol.He was easily over 10"

Here's a pic from 2004 when he was around 9"

Will try and get pics of charlie(dehanni) at his current size and with ruler
woah!...thats a beautiful one sir...damn i caught like this before(last year,and its a 4 inch) in the wild and the color and detail were like this ,too bad it died because of ants :(...and because of inapropriate container...but im not sure with the details of antennea and terminal legs in it...and did try to hunt last month,unfortunately i didnt find that kind of sp. anymore...

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Waiting on a S. Galapagoensis! It should beat all 6 of my 8"-10" S. s. dehaani with ease.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am now living smack in the middle of the range of Scolopendra galapogoensis. I hope to find some of these pedes soon.

Red Dragon

Arachnopeon
My largest is my S.subspinipes de haani (Vietnam)
My second largest is my S.subspinipes de haani (called Red Dragon from china)
越巨测量.jpg 红龙测量.jpg

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I wish laeta got a little bigger. They have such amazing colours and patterns, but their size makes it harder to appreciate them. Even 10cm would be good.