What's YOUR largest Scolopendra sp.?

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus size

Interesting. I've never seen the "blue-legged" Ethmostigmus trigonopodus bigger than 5.5" out of Tanzania the last 10 yrs. Nice to know they can hit 6.5".

This "Scolopendra cf. galapagoensis" seems to have many opinions about it. Scolopendra cf. galapagoensis from recent threads is a different color. Black body with orange/black-patterned legs and black/orange head antenna from Trinidad, Venezuela, Colombia, N. Ecuador and I saw a pic on Shelly's site in Mexico. We need a whole new thread about that "Scolopendra cf. galapagoensis" species and it's true identity.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I remember an old thread Steven started with a pic of a giant Ethmostigmus in his hand. He called it E. trigonopodus. Anybody remember that thread? I think that sucker was 9 inches long! The legs were solid bright blue, not the usual banded look we usually see on the legs. I found the thread, the pics aren't up anymore. The common name in the thread was "giant tanzanian true blue leg".

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got this Scolopendra polymorpha about 2.5 years ago from my wife as a birthday present she got it from a LPS it was labeled "desert centipede" its about 7" those tweezers are 12" long.

Here are some recent pictures of it eating a discoid

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That polymorpha is a frickin' beast!

edit - my poly isnt nearly that size...I had no idea they even reached those lengths...I thought like 6" max..

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that is a nice poly. They are small here in central tx. Get really big out west, ....like that!

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
largest currently is two 6-7 inch long scolopendra mutilans. :)
that water dish is about 8 inches across.

Last edited:

MarknMiami

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Puerto rican giant..No pics with ruler.But he made my 8.5+" dehanni look small,lol.He was easily over 10"

Here's a pic from 2004 when he was around 9"

Will try and get pics of charlie(dehanni) at his current size and with ruler
Wow, That is a monster of a pede :eek: I like the colors of those

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haaa! That is huge! If I use my imagination and arc the head over, it hits around 35 centimeters. Then subtract the 4cms at the terminals, well that's 12 inches or maybe a little more, right?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's awesome! I was guessing 12 1/4. It's good to know they are out there.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, just over 12" :)
Ok, first of all, wow.

Second, is that your hand in the picture holding the 'pede? If so, exactly how thick is your skin?? I mean, I can very clearly see the TALONS at the end of each leg in those pictures. Even if the creature never bit you, didn't those feet hurt?

dehaani

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah the feet did puncture my skin a bit but it wasn't so bad. It was only when the 'pede was unsteady or crawling upside down that it would really dig in. There was a substantial weight in it though.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats amazing, great pics. I would love to handle a pede like that.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anybody got any new pictures of their largest Scolopendra? I will try and get pictures of mine in a few days.

Xenomorph

Arachnosquire
Hi,

Here my girlfriend with a Scolopendra multidens 23cm

And a Scolopendra spec. Tiger Leg 24cm

They are pretty old pictures. I make this week better pictures with a folding rule

cheers

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The Tiger Leg looks more like it has a bl of 19cm, which would be a big one to me anyway!, but yeah, next to a ruler would clear that up. Did you do the CO2 thing?