What's YOUR largest Scolopendra sp.?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It would be cool if there were keys that specifically compared the same features of similar species.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Actually my pede doesnt have the medialkey found on its last tergite currently, that pic i posted was when it is in 3rd instar, it seemed o have dissapearedor at least bcome smallee when it molted to 4i.

ZBZ - haha, no i dont really :}.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I tried to contact a few s amer scientists that deal with these things through email. Hopefully at least one will respond, I just want to get this tiny bit of doubt out of my head about what others have said the diff is between the virid and galapos are.

Samuel

Arachnopeon
i'm using dr. Wolgang Büchel key of identificatins, it's old, bud is the one i got...

ass soon as possible i show de 28 cm prove, as soon as a take the pic.

we got some S. viridicornis nigra hore too, did u want to see the pic?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would really like to see a ruler pic! Also do you know of any recent, discovered information about the differences between viridicornis and galapagoensis?

Samuel

Arachnopeon
Scolopendra galapagoensis Bollman, 1889.

Bollman C.H. "Myriapoda. In: L.O. Howard (ed.), Scientific results of explorations by the U. S. Fish. Commission Steamer 'Albatross'" Proceedings of the United States National Museum . 1889: 12: 211-216, see p. 215.

Order: Scolopendromorpha

Family: Scolopendridae

Original rank: species

Original genus: Scolopendra Linnaeus, 1758.

Type locality: Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Chatham Island.

Synonym(s):

Hemiscolopendra galapagosa Chamberlin, 1955
Scolopendra gigantea weyrauchi Bücherl, 1950

Last taxonomic scrutiny: Shelley R.M., Kiser S.B. (2000) "Neotype designation and a diagnostic account for the centipede, Scolopendra gigantea L.,1758, with an account of S. galapagoensis Bollman 1889 (Chilopoda Scolopendromorpha Scolopendridae)" Tropical Zoology 13: 159-170, see p. 166.

Distribution:

--- within "Southern America->Central America":
Costa Rica (CR);
--- within "Southern America->Western South America":
Ecuador (EC); Galápagos (EC);

Scolopendra viridicornis Newport, 1844.

Newport G. "A list of the species of Myriapoda order Chilopoda contained in the cabinets of the British Museum with synoptic descriptions of forty-seven new species" Annals and Magazine of Natural History. 1844: 13: 94-101, see p. 97.

Type locality: Brazil.

Synonym(s):

Scolopendra cristata Porat, 1876
Scolopendra herculeana C.L. Koch, 1847
Scolopendra punctidens Newport, 1844
Scolopendra variegata Newport, 1844

Last taxonomic scrutiny: Attems C. (1930) "Myriopoda. 2. Scolopendromorpha" Das Tierreich. De Gruyter, Berlin 54: 1-308, see p. 43.

Valid Subspecies:

Scolopendra viridicornis nigra Bücherl, 1941
Scolopendra viridicornis viridicornis Newport, 1844

i got it....

S. galapagoensis have more spiks on coxopleura process, prefemuor process and on 20 leg prefemuor them S. viridicornis.

but they realy look like similar.

Last edited:

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
amazing looking pede and amazing photos.

Scolopendra galapagoensis Bollman, 1889.

Bollman C.H. "Myriapoda. In: L.O. Howard (ed.), Scientific results of explorations by the U. S. Fish. Commission Steamer 'Albatross'" Proceedings of the United States National Museum . 1889: 12: 211-216, see p. 215.

Type locality: Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Chatham Island.

Synonym(s):

Hemiscolopendra galapagosa Chamberlin, 1955
Scolopendra gigantea weyrauchi Bücherl, 1950

Last taxonomic scrutiny: Shelley R.M., Kiser S.B. (2000) "Neotype designation and a diagnostic account for the centipede, Scolopendra gigantea L.,1758, with an account of S. galapagoensis Bollman 1889 (Chilopoda Scolopendromorpha Scolopendridae)" Tropical Zoology 13: 159-170, see p. 166.

Distribution:

--- within "Southern America->Central America":
Costa Rica (CR);
--- within "Southern America->Western South America":
Ecuador (EC); Galápagos (EC);

Scolopendra viridicornis Newport, 1844.

Newport G. "A list of the species of Myriapoda order Chilopoda contained in the cabinets of the British Museum with synoptic descriptions of forty-seven new species" Annals and Magazine of Natural History. 1844: 13: 94-101, see p. 97.

Type locality: Brazil.

Synonym(s):

Scolopendra cristata Porat, 1876
Scolopendra herculeana C.L. Koch, 1847
Scolopendra punctidens Newport, 1844
Scolopendra variegata Newport, 1844

Last taxonomic scrutiny: Attems C. (1930) "Myriopoda. 2. Scolopendromorpha" Das Tierreich. De Gruyter, Berlin 54: 1-308, see p. 43.

Valid Subspecies:

Scolopendra viridicornis nigra Bücherl, 1941
Scolopendra viridicornis viridicornis Newport, 1844

i got it....

S. galapagoensis have more spiks on coxopleura process, prefemuor process and on 20 leg prefemuor them S. viridicornis.

but they realy look like similar.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is my Tiger leg Stripey, he's a little over 9 inches now and when full as big around as a ultra fine sharpie...I'll try to get a "proof" shot but this guy is not coming out of his enclosure.

Montgg

Arachnosquire
Bumping this thread. wish i knew how i could post pics of my vietnamese giant centipede

dehaani

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My gigantea

Hi folks,

It's been a while, I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years getting a change of career in order and stuff.

I'd like to just repost those old broken photos of my gigantea...

And now I'm back, I've got a Scolopendra galapagoensis! :D

Montgg

Arachnosquire
Dang that things HUGE!
!!!!! how many inches is that? do you still have it. could you repost your pics of the 12 inch scolopendra subspinipes? it isnt showing the pic for the 12 inch s.s thx

---------- Post added 10-08-2012 at 07:26 PM ----------

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! Holy crap. So sorry if I missed this but how many cm was/is the S. gigantea? It looks to be 37 to 38 from tip to tip. It starts at .5 cm.

37 cm = 14.5669 inches.

The biggest S. gigantea I have ever seen (before now) was at a reptile swap in the 1990s. It was 13 inches.

Last edited:

dehaani

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dang that things HUGE!
!!!!! how many inches is that? do you still have it. could you repost your pics of the 12 inch scolopendra subspinipes? it isnt showing the pic for the 12 inch s.s thx
Straightened out it was 43cm (16.9") including legs/antenna, body length was 34cm (13.4"). Sadly it passed away in 2007. I don't have photos of any other giants.

Wow! Holy crap. So sorry if I missed this but how many cm was/is the S. gigantea? It looks to be 37 to 38 from tip to tip. It starts at .5 cm.

37 cm = 14.5669 inches.

The biggest S. gigantea I have ever seen (before now) was at a reptile swap in the 1990s. It was 13 inches.
When I was taking the photo with the tape, it kept bending it's terminal legs - that photo was my best of a bad bunch. I neglected to photograph it when it died because I was quite upset.

Montgg

Arachnosquire
Yea when ever one of my big pedes die Im too sad to check the length of it :cry: Found this on the internet i dont know it was photo shoped http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=iUThqTjJjT0&feature=endscreen i also found this huge s.s.d on the internet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buccONSJJ4I&feature=plcpCOLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 10-09-2012 at 01:01 PM ----------

Last edited:

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Billy wins... but here's a pic of my little S. heros arizonensis with a BL of about 8" (USD is 6.14") I have seen larger heros in the wild, guestimating at about 9-10"BL. Had a report from a local of a heros with a total length of 16", he is a reliable guy and a framer (carpenter) and 16" is a standard rule in framing, its the length between studs. So this guy should be able to eyeball 16" with some accuracy... he says most the centipedes he sees are half that size. PICT0013.jpg USDpede.jpg

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I knew somebody that claims they had a heros that was 16 inches too but I strongly suspect they included the terminal legs and antennae. It was kept at The SnakeFarm close to San Antonio. I asked "How do you know it was 16"?" He showed me the terr it was kept in, it was 16" long and said when it was against the glass it would touch each end of the terr. Another story with no pics though haha, just another claim with no real evidence unfortunately.