What's everyone's favorite small spider species?

AmphibianAddict

Arachnopeon
I just LOVE jumping spiders in general, but if I had to pick, i'd say regal/ bold jumpers (Phidippus audax).
Phidippus Audax are great!!

They are wonderful eaters, and the only thing they have a hard time with really are large slippery moths, and strong jumping crickets, so I often remove the tibias of the back legs, keeping the femurs intact as they have lots of nutrients within.
Do you have any pictures of your’s?

Last edited by a moderator:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Latrodectus. Easy to keep and there's plenty of variation in native species, though the non-natives in the hobby now are phenomenal too.

Do you have any pictures of your’s?

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I'm going to say that at the moment, my favorite is Araneus diadematus. Another that I like is Antrodiaetus pacificus (Folding Door Trapdoor Spider). I have caught a couple (at different times) a while back but ended up releasing them both. I would like to try my hand at keeping them again though.

Here is one of my A. diadematus:
IMG_20180803_214320.jpg
Here is the female A. pacificus I caught:
antrodiaetus-pacificus-female.jpg
Here is the male A. pacificus I caught:
antrodiaetus-pacificus-male.jpg

They aren't small, but I'm a big fan of our local Sonoran Olios giganteus, the giant crab spider. Coolest true spider ever, and easy to breed.
I'll take three :D!

Last edited:

AmphibianAddict

Arachnopeon

WildSpider

Arachnobaron

AmphibianAddict

Arachnopeon
I'm going to say that at the moment, my favorite is Araneus diadematus. Another that I like is Antrodiaetus pacificus (Folding Door Trapdoor Spider). I have caught a couple (at different times) a while back but ended up releasing them both. I would like to try my hand at keeping them again though.

Here is one of my A. diadematus:
View attachment 287089
View attachment 287091
View attachment 287092

Those look beautiful!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I couldn't pick which is my favourite spider. I've had jumpers and absolutely loved them. They're so clever.

I love.............

my Deinopis sp for the way she makes a web net to catch her prey. It's phenomenal to witness.

my Nephila madagascariensis for the beautiful web she makes and how graceful she is.

my Gandanameno sp females because of just how cute they look.

my Liphistius cf ornatus for the speed he/she comes flying out of the trapdoor.

my Sicarius thomisoides for when he bursts out of the sand to catch prey and digs back down into the sand and covers himself up.

my Macrothele species, Heteropoda lunula, Porrhothele antipodiana, Calommata signata because they're all absolutely brilliant.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Jumping spiders.
But orb weavers and Latrodectus species are growing on me.

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Another that I like is Antrodiaetus pacificus (Folding Door Trapdoor Spider). I have caught a couple (at different times) a while back but ended up releasing them both. I would like to try my hand at keeping them again though.

View attachment 287091
View attachment 287092

As an avid fan of trapdoors and hexithelids I massively approve of these lol