What's everyone's favorite small spider species?

AmphibianAddict

Arachnopeon
Jumping spiders? Ant spiders? Orb-weavers? Widows? What’s everyone’s favorite small spider species??

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Latrodectrus, but we did see some kind of jumping spider on the wall recently that was super cool, and the orb weaver by the front door is gorgeous.

So, all of them.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
They aren't small, but I'm a big fan of our local Sonoran Olios giganteus, the giant crab spider. Coolest true spider ever, and easy to breed.

AmphibianAddict

Arachnopeon
They aren't small, but I'm a big fan of our local Sonoran Olios giganteus, the giant crab spider. Coolest true spider ever, and easy to breed.
Ooh!! They look gorgeous!!

Umm, you said they were easy to breed, do you breed them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Not lately, though I've got a female that's getting to that size. She is wild caught. Well I say wild-caught... She actually cutie patootied her way across my desktop this spring and virtually danced right into a habitat.

I keep thinking a male will take up residence on the ceiling sooner or later. It's definitely the season for it here as monsoon is well underway and in fact just about to wrap up soon. But I haven't seen a mate for her yet.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Latrodectus are my favorite. So many different colors and patterns. In addition to this, I think they are cool to observe, easy to keep and their venom potancy for their size is something to marvel at.

AmphibianAddict

Arachnopeon
Not lately, though I've got a female that's getting to that size. She is wild caught. Well I say wild-caught... She actually cutie patootied her way across my desktop this spring and virtually danced right into a habitat.

I keep thinking a male will take up residence on the ceiling sooner or later. It's definitely the season for it here as monsoon is well underway and in fact just about to wrap up soon. But I haven't seen a mate for her yet.
Make sure to message me if you get babies!!

Northern Black widows, and black purseweb spiders. Both are native to my area, though I have yet to find any pursewebs with all the studying this season, I'll have to wait till next season to go into those mixed forest fields for my lovely black potato spuds.

AmphibianAddict

Arachnopeon
Northern Black widows, and black purseweb spiders. Both are native to my area, though I have yet to find any pursewebs with all the studying this season, I'll have to wait till next season to go into those mixed forest fields for my lovely black potato spuds.
How are you keeping your widows?? I’ve contemplated getting some of that species for a bit.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
I'm biased for the little jumping spiders :p It was the very first true spider I was ever willing to handle when I first got over my fear of spiders.

How are you keeping your widows?? I’ve contemplated getting some of that species for a bit.
I buy fish tanks at garage sales, and cheese cloth at Walmart to tie around the lids. I like them lower to the ground, so I give mine shells and pine cones to build webs in. I think I have a few pictures in the gallery of them.

They are wonderful eaters, and the only thing they have a hard time with really are large slippery moths, and strong jumping crickets, so I often remove the tibias of the back legs, keeping the femurs intact as they have lots of nutrients within.

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
I just LOVE jumping spiders in general, but if I had to pick, i'd say regal/ bold jumpers (Phidippus audax).