what was your first T?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My female Brachypelma vagans, her name is Fizzgig and she is one of if not my most defensive T.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My dear Fang, a mature female A. hentzi (or anax). Got her in HS, and had her for several year. A more perfect, handleable-T I've yet to find again.

Marga

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
When I was about 8, my dad brought home a male Aphonopelma iodius he caught in his sock here in Utah while jogging. I don't think it lived long, but peaked my interest. At 10 or 11 I bought a G. rosea at the same time my younger brother bought a T. blondi! "Hey mom, can I get this goliath birdeater for my first tarantula?" We were just kids, but we got a tarantula manual and learned the basics pretty quick. I remember how fun it was to catch wild grasshoppers and watch them eat.

cdjseahawk

Arachnopeon
1st

mines was a G. rosea Then I lost my head and got a OBT and H lividum about a month after when I new nothing about ts yet but I think it prepeared me well lol
-Chris

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I was about 8, my dad brought home a male Aphonopelma iodius he caught ...
My first T was also one I caught, in the foothills above my house when I was 11. He got loose a couple of days later, Mom and the cleaning lady were hysterical, I had to come home from school to catch him (he was esconced under the living room couch, the poor thing), and Dad made me release him back into the wild that afternoon.

Many years later I got my second T (first one in this Century, does that count?) - a B. smithi sling, which I have to this day.

It's thanks to that resurgence of my interest in tarantulas, and the research I did as a result of it, that I finally understood many things about that first lonely tarantula so many years ago: he was an adult male, out looking for love; he was an Aphonopelma, I'm not sure which variety (native to the San Bernardino Mountains in California, in case any of you would like to venture a guess); and my Dad was very wise to make me return him to his natural habitat, thus to find a mate, and restore his hemolymph-line!

Last edited:

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first taranula was my goliath bird eater. I love him. He was sold to me as a female be turned out to be male. I still have him he is awsome.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. pulchripes (then still G. aureostriata), and I couldn't be happier with the choice. :)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
A T.blondi sling that I picked from a petshop in 2004. Effectively killed by a "caretaker" buddy of mine, when I was in holiday.

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
Also got a B. smithi to start, juvy that was a little over 3 inches; now about 6 inches. :D

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. hentzi. He was crawling up the outside wall of my mother-in-laws house a few years ago when we found him. It was actually the first time I'd ever seen a T outside a pet store. Didn't realize until later, after posting on here that he was a MM and didn't last to long after we took him home.