What to look for when buying off of Craigslist?

Emilylrd

Arachnopeon
Alright, on occasion my local Craigslist has some tarantula listings; I was set up with this guy to purchase his B. Smithi and the night before we were supposed to meet after ignoring my texts he says the T is dead and sends me a picture with it in a death curl, I'm sure this happens a lot but as I was quite excited for this T I immediately became upset and just deleted the conversation. I've had this happen twice and it's put me off of buying locally, What should I look out for in the future? It's so disheartening to speak back and forth with someone for weeks and the day before to be hit with the "it's dead I don't know what happened" spiel, any pointers yall can give me?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I suggest you to buy online, directly from the breeders/users here, or from (trusted) breeders/sellers online shops. Doing that the risk of... don't know, receiving a 1.0 instead of a 0.1, or maybe even a not healthy Theraphosidae almost doesn't exist :-s

obie

Arachnosquire
I would say it's like anything else you buy off of Craigslist it's hit and miss. I lucked up and got a female P.Metallica for 80 bucks. So it's deals out there

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've gotten a number of tarantulas off Craigslist and not really had any major issues, though I have noticed that the majority of the "unsexed" spiders I've purchased from Craigslist have turned out to be male. (Those purchased as female, on the other hand, actually were exactly as advertised.)

As with anything else on Craigslist, there is always the possibility of getting a really good deal - but go into it with your eyes open. While a few Craigslist sellers are actually breeders/dealers or serious hobbyists, the majority of them are either people who just want to get rid of their spider (in which case they may not even know what it is and may not have been taking care of it properly) or people out to make a quick buck. Here in SoCal in the fall I can almost guarantee that several of our local mature male Aphonopelmas will be collected while out looking for a mate and end up on Craigslist as "pet tarantulas."

If you do find a spider you want on Craigslist, I'd suggest closing the deal right away. I've never talked to anyone "for weeks" before buying a Craigslist spider. Usually I pick up the spider that same day or the day after.

Also, make sure you take a good look at the spider before turning over the money. Does it appear to be the sex/species it was represented as? Does it look healthy? Or does it look emaciated, dehydrated, or injured?

And finally, consider how much the spider is worth to you. If it's really cheap then you won't be too terribly disappointed if it turns out to be male or ends up dying on you - but if you are paying top dollar anyway, you'd be better off getting it from a reputable dealer.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Alright, on occasion my local Craigslist has some tarantula listings; I was set up with this guy to purchase his B. Smithi and the night before we were supposed to meet after ignoring my texts he says the T is dead and sends me a picture with it in a death curl, I'm sure this happens a lot but as I was quite excited for this T I immediately became upset and just deleted the conversation. I've had this happen twice and it's put me off of buying locally, What should I look out for in the future? It's so disheartening to speak back and forth with someone for weeks and the day before to be hit with the "it's dead I don't know what happened" spiel, any pointers yall can give me?
I have never bought from Craigslist so I can't provide specific advice about it. Buy here is my general thought.

You stated that you have communicated with them for weeks. I wonder if a high percentage of the T's that show up on lists like this might be already in condition that ranges from "not good" to "deplorable" In that case the T is in a downward spiral of some sort. Thus it might be good to act quickly if you see evidence that it is exactly what you want, price is right, and you feel safe with the meet location to make the transaction.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I've also never bought off craigslist. Why would u talk for WEEKS? Why not communicate the tarantula's specifics, and choose a meeting place if u decide to buy? Honestly curious, as weeks talking about an onlinepurchase seems bizarre.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Got my first tarantula, a G. pulchripes, on craigslist. $10 for a 1/4 inch sling. I rarely see any tarantula-related listings lately, though. I live out in the boonies, so that probably has something to do with it.

I think the normal craigslist precautions are always in place...don't let strangers into your home, don't go into theirs, meet someplace public and well-lit, and bringing a friend isn't a bad idea either.

Nobody wants to find themselves in the bottom of a pit hearing "It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've got a little corner of Craigslist tarantulas myself, roughly 5 adults. I've only made one "score", being an MM B. smithi for $20. The rest are clearly hybrids, mature males, or just really rough from years of bad husbandry that I'm slowly nursing back to health.

Adopting through CL has really taught me the joys of the undesirable tarantulas, especially the hybrids. We don't want them in the hobby, no, but they're here and they're living creatures. They deserve a home like everything else. Although, to be honest, my family knows what to do with them if I ever suddenly disappear from the picture. I'll be their last owner one way or another, let's say that.

Emilylrd

Arachnopeon
I've gotten a number of tarantulas off Craigslist and not really had any major issues, though I have noticed that the majority of the "unsexed" spiders I've purchased from Craigslist have turned out to be male. (Those purchased as female, on the other hand, actually were exactly as advertised.)

As with anything else on Craigslist, there is always the possibility of getting a really good deal - but go into it with your eyes open. While a few Craigslist sellers are actually breeders/dealers or serious hobbyists, the majority of them are either people who just want to get rid of their spider (in which case they may not even know what it is and may not have been taking care of it properly) or people out to make a quick buck. Here in SoCal in the fall I can almost guarantee that several of our local mature male Aphonopelmas will be collected while out looking for a mate and end up on Craigslist as "pet tarantulas."

If you do find a spider you want on Craigslist, I'd suggest closing the deal right away. I've never talked to anyone "for weeks" before buying a Craigslist spider. Usually I pick up the spider that same day or the day after.

Also, make sure you take a good look at the spider before turning over the money. Does it appear to be the sex/species it was represented as? Does it look healthy? Or does it look emaciated, dehydrated, or injured?

And finally, consider how much the spider is worth to you. If it's really cheap then you won't be too terribly disappointed if it turns out to be male or ends up dying on you - but if you are paying top dollar anyway, you'd be better off getting it from a reputable dealer.
By speaking for weeks, we continued contact while we worked on a day to meet that worked for both of us; I live in Texas if you wanna meet someone you have to prepare for a long drive

Emilylrd

Arachnopeon
I've also never bought off craigslist. Why would u talk for WEEKS? Why not communicate the tarantula's specifics, and choose a meeting place if u decide to buy? Honestly curious, as weeks talking about an onlinepurchase seems bizarre.
Weeks = 2 weeks. I live in Texas you can't just up and meet with people, you have to pick a day and decide where to meet ad prepare for and hour or several hours drive

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^f that. Check out the classifieds on this site. what u have to pay in shipping will equal out by not having to drive several hours. Plus, you know the members selling here took good care of their tarantulas.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
You definitely should take a look at the classifieds section or create a thread for the type of T's of interest to you and get discussion about it. Depending on the pain factor, gas cost, and risks of getting a T in bad condition for that long drive you may find it worth dealing with the shipping cost.

Otherwise, best of luck to you in finding what you want.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's so disheartening to speak back and forth with someone for weeks
You found AB, have you searched the WWW for T dealers? If not, why? If so, why didn't you contact them?

Craigslist is terrible for the reasons you mentioned. Yep sometimes you get great deals, but it's not exactly a quality site for quality exotic animals IME.

Posts like this reminds me that Utahns are spoiled when it comes to buying T's
I heard those T. cyano. owners are like that.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
you have to pick a day and decide where to meet ad prepare for and hour or several hours drive
Meet in the parking lot of a police station . The County Sheriff's Office here has what they call a "selling section" for just this purpose . There are a lot of seriously dangerous people out there who use Craigslist as a place to meet victims . Someone who has the idea to scam or hurt you isn't going to agree to meet if they know the cops are two feet away . My advice is to buy from online sellers and avoid meeting total strangers from online . If you do choose to do the Craigslist thing then never ever go alone .

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I've bought and sold several things off craigslist. First thing you need to always remember (to keep your own sanity) if that most people are flakes. Buyers want everything for free, and sellers will play games. A bunch of people selling animals are just flipping and have little clue about what they're doing . That being said, I've done pretty well. I've gotten 4-5 T's off craigslist. On tarantilas, I never trust if they say it's a female. It's always unsexed until I can prove it.
My best deal was a 4" unsexed G. pulchripes and a 4" B. smithi for 75 bucks. The B smithi molted out as female, the G pulchripes is a male.
Oh and I'm big on parking lot meets as well, though I admit I've knocked on a few front doors

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Buyers want everything for free, and sellers will play games.
Isn't that the truth? I do sell quite a bit on Craigslist, and I've gotten in the habit of telling people that the price is firm. They never want to haggle or talk about the price until you're standing in the parking lot. The last message I always send is "Be sure to bring exactly $x, because I won't have change." Firstly, that lets them know you are firm on a price. Secondly, it lets them know that you don't carry cash for safety. Two birds with one stone.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
I actually just sold a 4" female p.metallica on Craigslist yesterday. My asking price was $230 (with enclosure) and the buyer insisted on giving me $240 (since neither of us had change to break a $20). Since the buyer was very nice, we drove a couple blocks to my house and I gave her a chilobrachys Vietnam blue sling for the extra $10 she gave me and for being soo nice.

With my experience buy/selling tarantulas on Craigslist, it's very important to build a rapport before you meet up.