What species was your first tarantula?

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first was a Oklahoma Brown, w/c on a back road near Tulsa. Turned out to be a mature male, and he died a couple of months after acquisition. So, since I already had an enclosure, I did a little online research, and met Swifty. I picked out a female M. robustum, and a L. parahybana sling came along with her as a freebie. Then I found this website, and started learning from it, reading the much useful information contained in all of the posts. Mr. Windchaser was very polite, and gave me a few pointers as well as a few other nice folks on here...thank you all! So far, both spiders ae doing well!!

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first T was a B.smithi.......it was around 4" & my son & I had named it Lady Di......well......it turned out to be a Mr. Charles.{D That was around 1980. :p

Beth

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
A. avicularia male, matured and lived on for almost a year without any interest to pair with the ladies.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I bought a Brachypelma vagans as my first T, which i shared with my boyfriend at the time, we split up and he took the spider, so i bought some more! So my first own T was a 2" Grammostola auresotriata. She's now 4" and confirmed female :D and then the madness started hehe bought another (B. smithi sling) followed by another 5 different species, then another 2 and so on :p lol

ZOE

Arachnopeon
i got a 1 in G. aureostriata from my boy friend, 2003
and she's sitll with me

xrickus

Arachnopeon
I got my 1st T as a gift, it is a 1.5” B. smithi (01/12/07).
Now I have a 0.5” G. rosea and a 0.5” C. fasciatum. {D

ventell

Arachnopeon
Mine was a starburst baboon tarantula that I bought while I was in college(wow he really went to school? =) ). I don't think it was a p. murinus cause it wasn't orange, so I really don't know what it was, but it was mean, and liked to burrow a lot, it dug itself into a potted plant that I gave it =). It died several years later, when I got out of the hobby, but I'm back in now =)

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a NHandu Chromatus 3". it escaped in my room while i was asleep in the middle of the night:eek:, luckily i managed to find it after hours of search.:wall:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
brachypelma albopilosum and grammostola aureostriata.

My third was C. crawshayi.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haplopelma longipes and Pterinochilus lugardi. I know they have to be the two best starters ;P They only try to bite every time i open the cage and are fast as all get out!:eek:

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. smithi
September 2002

she's a beautiful big girl now :D

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
h. lividum sold as female. first molt with me and it turned out to be an ultimate male.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I stumbled over a dirt cheap H. Lividum juv and just bought it. My first "chosen" T's were 5 L. Parahybanas though.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the first t i actually bought was a big b. vagans girl. i picked her up at a show for a friend, and she stayed with me for 3 weeks till he came for her. by then, it was too late for me: a few weeks later i went and got myself a female b. klaasi. unfortunately, she didn't make it through her first molt. that was about 5 years ago, and now i have as many critters as i can keep (more than two dozen).

Jennifer4783

Arachnopeon
Mine was an Aphonopelma sp. "Flagstaff Orange" I got him/her from Chris at Krazy 8's at a reptile show a couple years ago. Chris just picked it and set it in my hand and I fell in love, then I just had to convince my arachnophobic hubby to let me het it with many promises it wouldn't escape. I love this tarantula but I only see it maybe 2-3 times a year, guess that means it's happy.