What sort of insect interests you most?

Just for giggles, what's your favorite insect? Or, least favorite?

• The most interesting insect is...

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • I abhor insects!

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, folks! What kind of insect do you find most interesting, and why?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mainly the Nepomorpha (fully aquatic Hemiptera), Assassin bugs (Reduviidae), and all other hemipterans. Also very interested in tiger beetles (Cicindelidae) and various other predacious beetles.
Alex S.

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Mosquitos -- they have probably had the single biggest impact on human civilization of any insect.

From a pet-keeping standpoint, though, I like the really big beetles -- Herculese beetles etc. don't know if I'd ever get one, though. I do intend to start a cockroach colony.

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Right now, I enjoy velvet ants, herculese beetles, and predatory stink bugs.

Wade

petartist

Arachnopeon
I really think Mantids are cool. But ck out this moth my daughter photographed. Real pretty.

Attachments

Last edited:

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Petartist-

One word: WOW!:)

I happen to really appreciate mantids as well.

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I like the butterflies/moths and big beetles

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Petartist-

That's an Imperial moth, Eacles imperialis, in case you were wondering...

Wade

Last edited:

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering what that animal was ever since I saw the post.

Are they native to Va, Wade?

petartist

Arachnopeon
Wade,
Thanks for the info, we had not seen one like that before. We took several pics because she was so unusual. It had about a 7"
wingspan and was very thick bodied. See for yourself. After we took the pictures she just flew away.

Attachments

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really like mantids just like many other people here. I have a praying mantis named Sassy who just layed her egg sac.

U

Unregistered

Hey all,

I haven't checked on Arachnopets in a while, and I didn't remember them having an insect forum, but I'm glad I did, and I'm glad he does. Hello to anyone who might recognize me from my rare postings at petbugs.com.

First off my favorite insects are pretty much the aquatics. I've only kept a few, but my favorites are the Blepharicerids, the net-winged midges, from the standpoint of pure fascination. The only "blephs" I've kept for any amount of time in captivity are pupae, which aren't really exciting because they just sit there.

My favorite as pets are the velvet ants, assassins, beetles (I'd especially like to raise a tiger beetle larva), and pretty much most aquatics (caddisflies and large dragonfly larvae such as gomphids are faves).

I still love pretty much any arthropod there is, but the insects are still my favorites.

Ghrankenstein

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hey all,

I haven't checked on Arachnopets in a while, and I didn't remember them having an insect forum, but I'm glad I did, and I'm glad he does. Hello to anyone who might recognize me from my rare postings at petbugs.com.

First off my favorite insects are pretty much the aquatics. I've only kept a few, but my favorites are the Blepharicerids, the net-winged midges, from the standpoint of pure fascination. The only "blephs" I've kept for any amount of time in captivity are pupae, which aren't really exciting because they just sit there.

My favorite as pets are the velvet ants, assassins, beetles (I'd especially like to raise a tiger beetle larva), and pretty much most aquatics (caddisflies and large dragonfly larvae such as gomphids are faves).

I still love pretty much any arthropod there is, but the insects are still my favorites.

Ghrankenstein
1/4" mutilid, right? :)

Arachnopets didn't used to have an Insect forum, but Scott took a poll and and now I(we- meaning this forum is hardly used, except by a few stragglers, and Garth, of course;P )have an insect forum.

Anyway, your presence in this forum is welcome to the nnth degree, anyone who's in the master's program in <entomology?> at such a fine school as UNC-Chapel Hill( they had the best little Indian restaurant down there:p :} -yummy to my tummy) is well met. Perhaps<hint, hint> you'll register and help me dominate this here Insect forum?

PRETTY PLEASE WITH LOADS OF GOOEY, GORGEOUS SUGAR ON TOP:confused:!

Well, my labile emotions are now in full swing...;)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
John-

Imperial moths are, indeed, native to VA. the big Saturniids are really cool...royal walnut, cecropia, polyphemus, luna...awsome animals. If you think the months are big, you oughta see the catepillars!

Interestingly, the adult moths don't feed, most don't even have mouthparts!

Wade

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, Wade-

I think I've seen a saturniid caterpillar, and they are huge mama-jamas!

As for the moths that don't feed, you learn something new every day.

:) -john

U

Unregistered

Not that I have THAT much against UNC, but my MS is from Clemson. I just live here. Maybe if that info were in a profile, there wouldn't be so much confusion. I'll have to get around to that.

btw, I haven't done bugs for quite a while now. Wade still rules supreme on the forums, but I'll do my best to add the occasional pun and wisecrack.

Ghrankenstein

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Counting on it, Ghrank.

Hey, my older brother went to Clemson, met two wives there, ended up being a ceramic engineer who loathes all things crawly... he's not a bigamist.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Favorite insects

I love most predatory insects and beetles, but I'm starting to develop an appreciation for cockroaches since I bought my lobster roaches. They're so well-adapted for survival and it's kind of nice to have something you can pick up without having to watch your fingers. (My fault I guess for loving baboon spiders!) I'm planning to add a colony of hissers and death's head roaches to my zoo later this year.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by johns
Hi, Wade-

I think I've seen a saturniid caterpillar, and they are huge mama-jamas!

As for the moths that don't feed, you learn something new every day.

:) -john
Yah, we used to find the Cecropia worms all the freaking time in Ohio when we were kids... we'd put them in a jar and watch them spin a cocoon and hatch. The adult moths are nothing short of stunning, but unfortunately the ONLY purpose of the adult stage is to mate and lay eggs... they spend most of their lives in the various instars of wormhood. And yes, they only live for about two weeks as adults due to their inability to eat... however, male moths can pick up a female's pheromones from up to a mile away... talk about your hyperactive sex drive! :)