What small mammal as child's first pet?

Rex Libris

Arachnopeon
Ben (1972) was the sequel to Willard (1971). There was a 2003 remake of Willard, starring Crispin Glover, and, of all people, R. Lee Ermey. It was great. And you do want to see Ermey get torn to bits by rats. But it's not for the faint of heart, as there is a scene of terrible violence against rats.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Heh.. when the remake to Willard was in production, they contacted a lot of us rat people for photos of rats, etc, then gave whoever participated in sending things in and such a little "rat gift pack" that included things like rat shaped erasers. Then on the DVD they seemed to pick the 'craziest' sounding rat people for interviews, lol. Not all of us own 70+ rats, although the most I've had at once was in the 20's (took in a mom who had 17 babies, yikes).

I had a pouched rat when that movie was out, whom my screen name is for. The species they used for Ben in the remake was a pouched (which was shortly banned afterwards, then the ban was lifted in September 2008), although a gambian, whereas mine was an emin's pouched rat (smaller species). AMAZING pet, easily trained and extremely intelligent, and I'd do anything to get one again. I definitely would not recommend a pouchie casually for others, unless they seriously knew what they were getting into. Those guys can make short work of things like cabinets, floors, drywall, small guage wire cages... yeah. Plus it's a serious exotic, NOT domestic. The bond they can form is amazing, but if you don't get that bond, you have a giant rat who can deliver a nasty bite. My boy, however, was seriously bonded to me, and even my young son and strangers could feed him and pet him fine. He constantly gave licky kisses and craved attention, and through and through was the greatest pet I've ever had in my entire life.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Since you said mammal and not rodent I will say cat. Get a cat. Boring I know. But utterly ridiculously little maintenance, can be left alone for days if need be, clean, cuddly, friendly (if socialized properly), fun to play with. Not a hard choice :)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Mm? She said not rodent? Rodents are mammals.
She didn't say she wanted a rodent, she said she wanted a mammal. But everyone here suggested rodents of one sort or the other. Get it? There are a few more mammals besides rodents so I suggested a cat.

ametan

Arachnoknight
Thanks, Jens, but I've already got three cats and I don't want my four year old stalking some poor kitten all over the house at night while we're asleep. (You'd be surprised at what we've woken up to.) I definitely want something caged... and a lock. :D I'm of the opinion that all little kids are similar to serial killers. They just don't have the knowledge yet to tell them what shouldn't be done to animals out of curiousity. It seems to take a little while to develop the whole wrong/right good/evil sensors.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guinea pigs are a bad choice. They are loud (they squeak a lot!) and require rather constant cage cleaning to keep them from stinking. Rats are a good choice. Chinchillas are also really good pets.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Chinchillas are also really good pets.
I second this as well. I loved my Chinchilla, he was great. He was rather messy and loud at times but super friendly and pretty easy to look after.

Rex Libris

Arachnopeon
There just aren't that many mammalian cage pets that aren't rodents but are readily available and also don't have pretty major care requirements. I think ferrets are the only one that hasn't hit the list. I think rats are the best pick.

ametan, hehee! serial killers. Yeah.

Be careful of running-wheel designs and get ones that cannot catch long ratty tails, if you get any at all. My rats didn't like them.

My last rat had a little miniature pirate's chest that he learned to open and close and would stash stuff in. I always meant to put a little hinged door on his hide-box.

He got commercial rat pellets, but also had a tiny plate I'd use to give him a little rat-sized portion of whatever we were having, minus the less healthy parts. Two green beans and a little slice of baked potato, that sort of thing. I doted on that charming creature. He lived four years and I got him as an adult, a rescue.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Guinea pigs are a bad choice. They are loud (they squeak a lot!) and require rather constant cage cleaning to keep them from stinking. Rats are a good choice. Chinchillas are also really good pets.
I agree. Guinea pigs are a horrible choice. I got one for my son a few years ago as a baby and she was already pregnant. They reach sexual maturity very quickly so you have no idea if you're buying a package deal.

I vote rat! I loved my rats for all the reasons already stated.

ametan

Arachnoknight
Christ on a cracker! I was searching around this weekend and it seems the double decker cages with ramps people seem to be recommending cost about $150! Starting to think maybe he can stick with his goldfish for a while. heh

Rex Libris

Arachnopeon
I bought the mesh, rings and pliers and made mine. The only trouble is finding an appropriately sized bottom tray.

Green Mantis

Arachnopeon
Choice of tame pet

I strongly suggest DEGU'S----Just don't pull their tail, because the skin will come off in your hands. Their way off defence. But if you get a couple of young ones, they get very tame. They don't smell nearly as bad as the other rodents. When we had ours they got very tame. They roll in a dust like a chinchilla though. To keep their coats in good shape. Look them up and see what you think?

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
only comment I can make is hand sanitizer and lots of it. teach them young to always use it after handling the little creatures. I've had hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils and each has their own pluses and minuses. Now that I'm older, I have a syrian hamster which is a great little guy who adores attention when he's awake. guinea pigs are very affectionate, but defecate a lot and needs constant cleaning. gerbils are nice, but i don't see them around anymore.

Nikkeh

Arachnopeon
Forget all the fluffy mammals and get a leapord gecko :D there great for kids of a certain age, and quite easily handalable as long as you don't grab it's tail to hard :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is nothing against the people who are suggesting rats, I love rats, I have two sweet ratties myself.
I suggest guinea pigs over rats for one main reason, they are bigger and easier for small hands to hold, they also tend to be calmer than rats.
I've bred both and had both for pets, and I always suggest guinea pigs for younger kids just because of size.
(BTW, the rat pictures that got posted to this thread are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Christ on a cracker! I was searching around this weekend and it seems the double decker cages with ramps people seem to be recommending cost about $150! Starting to think maybe he can stick with his goldfish for a while. heh
Thats not expensive IMO... Especially for a very intelligent animals you owe it to them to provide the best housing available.

BTW for the goldfish the minimum tank size depending on breed is 20 to 55 gallons, goldfish are not suitable for bowls.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And adding to the goldfish remark, it shouldn't really ever be 'a' goldfish. They too are intelligent social animals and tend to show stereotypical behaviors when kept singly. ;)

Remember, if $150 for a cage seems pricey, consider how much an adequate ammount of toys, healthy diet, bedding, and vet care will cost in the rats' lifetime. Rats are definitely not a cheap pet. My current foster rattie tears through new toys every day.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And adding to the goldfish remark, it shouldn't really ever be 'a' goldfish. They too are intelligent social animals and tend to show stereotypical behaviors when kept singly. ;)

Remember, if $150 for a cage seems pricey, consider how much an adequate ammount of toys, healthy diet, bedding, and vet care will cost in the rats' lifetime. Rats are definitely not a cheap pet. My current foster rattie tears through new toys every day.
$150 is pricey for a rat cage IMO...>$100 should get an excellent cage suitable for a pair of rats.