What is this white stuff coming out of my A avic?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And now I have lost the other Avic I got at the same time. This one had a similar setup but with more ventilation (I added more air holes after several people pointed out the shortcoming).

Question: How can I tell the gender of an Avic?

I see from care sheets that males reach 3 inches. I don't think mine were quite that large, but what are the chances that I was sold two mature male Avics who were already near the end of their lives?

The best way is to examine a molt.

Upon maturity some Ts, including Avics have "hooks" on the front legs.

Size alone is not enough and I'd never use that as a means to determine gender. I've seen females look like males at that size, including one of my own molt-confirmed females.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I see from care sheets that males reach 3 inches. I don't think mine were quite that large, but what are the chances that I was sold two mature male Avics who were already near the end of their lives?
A mature male has hooks under the tibia of each front leg. It will also have palpal emboli that look like little bulbs or boxing gloves. See this post for examples of these features. Mature males tend to look "leggy" in comparison to females, with longer legs and smaller abdomens in proportion to their bodies.

If your Avic lacks these features, it is either a female or a juvenile male. The most reliable way to determine which is to examine the exuviae (shed exoskeleton) under magnification. The area of interest is the inside of the abdomen between the book lungs. You can post such pictures here if you'd like help.

An alternative (although not always as reliable) way to sex a tarantula is to examine the ventral (underside) of the abdomen in the same area. You can post such pictures here if you'd like help.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
And now I have lost the other Avic I got at the same time. This one had a similar setup but with more ventilation (I added more air holes after several people pointed out the shortcoming).

Question: How can I tell the gender of an Avic?

Sorry about the loss of your other T. Perhaps you can post a pic or two of it with very good lighting to get help from people. It seems like the hooks should be visible on it but I am certainly not experienced like others on this.