What is this white stuff coming out of my A avic?

user 666

Arachnobaron
The day I stopped worrying about humidity, was the day I kept Avics successfully many years ago. Sounds counter-intuitive I know, but it's true.

Stop reading caresheets. Caresheets kills tarantulas.
I don't really worry about it, either; it's just that I came into Ts from having hermit crabs, where some people absolutely obsess over environmental details. (me, i just test the humidity 3 times a year and call it good)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I don't really worry about it, either; it's just that I came into Ts from having hermit crabs, where some people absolutely obsess over environmental details. (me, i just test the humidity 3 times a year and call it good)
I think a lot of the misinformation about tarantulas, temperature, and humidity comes from other exotic pet hobbies where it can actually be important to closely monitor those things.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I think a lot of the misinformation about tarantulas, temperature, and humidity comes from other exotic pet hobbies where it can actually be important to closely monitor those things.
Heh. With Ts the wisdom is to ignore the care sheets, but in hermit crabs you need to ignore the experts and instead follow the consensus advice of all the sites with care sheets. You should read some of the nonsense spouted by the "expert" hermit crab owners.
  • You HAVE to have ventilation (this, for a species with gills).
  • You CANNOT use commerncal foods with preservatives (uh, evidence?).
  • You MUST AVOID wood chips as a substrate (again, evidence?).
  • You CAN ONLY serve fresh organic foods, never commerical mixes (this, for a species which is a scavenger of corpses, garbage).
And then there are the militant owners who jump into any discussion of hermit crab foods to smugly proclaim their supoeriroty because _they_ only provide organic foods to ther hermit crabs.

Last edited by a moderator:

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
No one can tell you what that white stuff is from a picture with 100% accuracy. If you want to know what happened, bring your T and the white stuff in to a vet for a necropsy.
Definitely taking it in for a necropsy is his best chance of finding out what happened though you're going to have figure out the cost of vet fees is worth it, I had one done on a scorpion that ended up costing $75.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Quarantine the rest of your inverts, replace your food source if it isn't wild caught and sterilize all tools, transfer the spiders into temporary sanitized enclosures while you sterilize their enclosures and replace all hides, substrate and water dishes.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Heh. With Ts the wisdom is to ignore the care sheets, but in hermit crabs you need to ignore the experts and instead follow the consensus advice of all the sites with care sheets. You should read some of the nonsense spouted by the "expert" hermit crab owners.
  • You HAVE to have ventilation (this, for a species with gills).
  • You CANNOT use commerncal foods with preservatives (uh, evidence?).
  • You MUST AVOID wood chips as a substrate (again, evidence?).
  • You CAN ONLY serve fresh organic foods, never commerical mixes (this, for a species which is a scavenger of corpses, garbage).
And then there are the militant owners who jump into any discussion of hermit crab foods to smugly proclaim their supoeriroty because _they_ only provide organic foods to ther hermit crabs.
What is the latest on your Avic? Any recovery at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
Well that was gutting. So the title and expected a brand new keeper and their T dropping the kids off at the pool.
I was already chuckling to myself as I opened the thread, expecting some playful teasing from the more experienced keepers.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Yea i thought poop thread all the way, sadly i was wrong :(

basin79

ArachnoGod
That's the "problem" with inverts and reptiles to a degree. There's often little visible on the surface to detect something. And with some being rather sedentary you don't really notice the lack or troubled movement.

I had to get my Amazon basin Emerald Tree Boa (name and avatar) put down at the vet due to her not showing any signs of ill health. She looked fine all curled up on her branch. The next morning she was on the floor barely moving. She had a mass in her that didn't show.

It's (I'd swear normally) horrible knowing they suffer in silence. The tiny silver lining is knowing a well looked after T/snake/lizard has a much better life than the wild. No predators, no parasites, food, water, shelter and ideal "weather".

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
Always sucks to lose an animal, but at least you gave him a good life before he died.

The tiny silver lining is knowing a well looked after T/snake/lizard has a much better life than the wild. No predators, no parasites, food, water, shelter and ideal "weather".
Out of all animals kept in cages, tarantulas and herptiles are among the few that has it better than in the wild. Drives me mad when someone keeps a parakeet or something in a tiny cage, without letting it fly and stretch its wings.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Always sucks to lose an animal, but at least you gave him a good life before he died.

Out of all animals kept in cages, tarantulas and herptiles are among the few that has it better than in the wild. Drives me mad when someone keeps a parakeet or something in a tiny cage, without letting it fly and stretch its wings.
Absolutely. Hence the term kept well. Parrots also NEED interaction if they're kept singularly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I kept hermit crabs too. I read your other post, had to laugh. I used commercial food all the time, they lived fine.

user 666

Arachnobaron
And now I have lost the other Avic I got at the same time. This one had a similar setup but with more ventilation (I added more air holes after several people pointed out the shortcoming).

Question: How can I tell the gender of an Avic?

I see from care sheets that males reach 3 inches. I don't think mine were quite that large, but what are the chances that I was sold two mature male Avics who were already near the end of their lives?