What is this thing? I.D. please:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
assassin,it looks to be a bloodsucking conenose,very cool bug:clap:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have started seeing those arond here. never remember seeing them before this year. also i have not seen many wheel bugs recently

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool becareful not to let it bite you as they carry chagas which has no cure, though it is mainly spread through there feces.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first thought was a reduviid (family Reduviidae). I think there's only one type that's considered the kissing bug, which mostly occurs in South America.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Triatoma and Paratriatoma are both U. S. natives they are commonly called kissing bugs. I am guessing the one here is Triatoma sanguisuga.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So the ultimate question:

Crush it, or put it back under the rock where it was found, or collect more and culture them?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would A put it back under the rock or B try to culture more of them! :D

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
don't crush it:( yeah, either let it go or find more to culture it. they are very cool bugs, but DON'T get bit,i'm sure you know that already:)

Waspman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a very red Triatoma sanguisuga (kissing bug); normally the markings are a bit on the orange side (on what I have seen).

Personally, even though I think kissing bugs are awesome, I'd crush it/freeze it. Cultering them would mean you have to deal with their infected feces/cage cleaning; a few scientists have contracted Chagas disease in the labs from coming into some kind of contact with the feces.

Releasing it would probably be fine, but you might come into contact with it again since they will fly to lights if hungry enough.

Cochise

Arachnopeon
I was thinking of keeping it for a while - does anyone know how to sex them?
As far as food goes - I'm guessing they'll self feed if you handle them frequently? ;)
Thanks,
Cochise

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They will feed off mice, though you should try feeding freshly killed or heated mice to see if they will take it.

Cochise

Arachnopeon
I just found a second one (it was on my tractor tire) - I've got them in a deli container with a pinky mouse - so far, no action.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...When you get the Chagas disease, I am not pushing your wheelchair around in the mud looking for more. Forget it!

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
blood sucking conenose it is my friend! awesome find... if youre looking to sell one let me know.... if i can find the room , i'd love to have one!

Rock on!!
~Rob

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been bitten by one..and yes, it is a Triatoma.
Triatoma sanguisuga.
I was bitten on the neck after collecting snakes one afternoon.
the bite was pretty painful, and three days later my face swelled up like a balloon, with huge welps all over it.

it was horrible..i thought my head was going to explode.
i just caught three of them while vacationing on a insect trip out to the remote west texas desert.

do be careful..these are the ones that killed Darwin.
i kid you not.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
blood sucking conenose it is my friend! awesome find... if youre looking to sell one let me know.... if i can find the room , i'd love to have one!

Rock on!!
~Rob
next one i collect i will certainly be happy to part with.
They are cool..and not really aggressive, just dangerous[potentially]

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just found a second one (it was on my tractor tire) - I've got them in a deli container with a pinky mouse - so far, no action.
probably will perform less that ideal in a forced situation..I'm pretty sure that enviroment has alot to do with it.
They generally feed in burrows/rodent nests and such..out in the open while under scrutiny of watching eyes, they may not feed...especilly on anything other than their preferred prey..and would be willing to bet that domesticated rodents may not have the same appeal.
purely specualtion, as much of this info likely has not been well documented. these are a few of the ones I just collected near mexico last week! View attachment 63579

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
next one i collect i will certainly be happy to part with.
They are cool..and not really aggressive, just dangerous[potentially]
absoloutely incredible my friend! let me know what you would would like for it... if it catches your fancy, i do have a very nice phiddipus audax ( male i believe), i would be willing to trade.... not sure if anyone would consider it an even swap tho. your call. =) thanx {D

Rock on!!
~Rob