What is the rarest Tarantula in the world?

Jared781

Arachnobaron
one that we DONT know about! Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica are pretty rare!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agnostopelma would be one I would think. Hell, I haven't seen what an adult looks like.

T

taranvan

Agnostopelma would be one I would think. Hell, I haven't seen what an adult looks like.
Megaphobema Robustum, definitely. Most people say Poecilotheria M. Considering the fact that Colombia (where Megas are from) is virtually impossible to visit right now because of the guerrilla and narco forces, this spider is perhaps the rarest to find in the world. I have found blue tarantulas there that nobody has a clue about. The pictures are here http://www.colombiantarantulas.webs.com/

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
one that we DONT know about! Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica are pretty rare!
didnt you read THIS
Poecilotheria nallamalaiensis is a junior synonym for Poecilotheria formosa.

---------- Post added 02-23-2012 at 08:48 PM ----------

Oh, so it is. What of P. uniformis, then? A species whose sole representative is a preserved specimen must be pretty rare, no?
i read somewhere also that the uniformis COULD well be some other type of common pokie (i forget which atm) that is just so aged/preserved its hard to identify... I could be wrong though

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would assume the Heteroscodra species other than maculata to be fairly rare. Rarity in the wild isn't something I know anything about though, but I would guess that those Heteroscodra species are pretty rare within their range(s).

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It would help if you define "rare".

Do you mean the numbers that exist in the world (captivity included?), or just rare as in total numbers that exist in the wild.

For several species, there could be more in captivity than are left in the wild. So even though there is a real danger that they may become extinct in the wild, the only real threat to their existence is that they might fall out of favor with hobbyists, or that they are hybridized or inbred out of existence.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
It would help if you define "rare".

Do you mean the numbers that exist in the world (captivity included?), or just rare as in total numbers that exist in the wild.

For several species, there could be more in captivity than are left in the wild. So even though there is a real danger that they may become extinct in the wild, the only real threat to their existence is that they might fall out of favor with hobbyists, or that they are hybridized or inbred out of existence.
Or rare within the hobby, e.g., extant in the hobby, but perhaps only one or a few people have them? First imports? That's how I read it, anyway.