What is the penetrative force of a large tarantula's fangs?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My G. porteri chewed through the metal screen top of her enclosure many years ago...not that that's the direct force of a single bite. But I'd much rather be bit by any of my other Ts than her. Her fangs are enormous.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
My notoriously I'll tempered 0.1 S calc bit through her catch cup. Also one of my juvenile p metallicas did the same.
I'm a horrible person but since they are some of my most food aggressive specimens I will tease them by gently blowing towards their enclosure and watch them chase the air, well one time this individual actually struck at the vent hole and penetrated with both ranges and attempted to pull it in to eat..... It's since been rehoused to a more structurally suitable enclosure and is no longer teased :D. This was a 4" specimen btw.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I often think when I have a larger t in a thin deli cup, if only this t knew.

I would be surprised if many, if not most ts could bite through a fingernail. Roach shells are hard as heck and they crunch through them like they were nothing.
Agreed. Powerfull.

I would imagine larger NW terrestrials probably pack the biggest crunch. Just by sheer size.

Heres my AF G. pulchra showing her fangs off

https://instagram.com/p/BRRiy1Bl-He/

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I think Grammostolas have the biggest fangs in relation to their body size. Theraphosas actually have pretty moderate fangs in that regard.
That's where I roll my eyes at the bee sting comparison. It doesn't really matter if the venom is mild when you're having two large nails rammed through your hand. Puncture wounds suck.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
That's where I roll my eyes at the bee sting comparison. It doesn't really matter if the venom is mild when you're having two large nails rammed through your hand. Puncture wounds suck.
owch :/
I never wanna get bit
Regina is 3 inches DLS and her fangs already look like this
Regina\'s fangs part 2.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
My notoriously I'll tempered 0.1 S calc bit through her catch cup. Also one of my juvenile p metallicas did the same.
I'm a horrible person but since they are some of my most food aggressive specimens I will tease them by gently blowing towards their enclosure and watch them chase the air, well one time this individual actually struck at the vent hole and penetrated with both ranges and attempted to pull it in to eat..... It's since been rehoused to a more structurally suitable enclosure and is no longer teased :D. This was a 4" specimen btw.

Just put a superworm or mealworm (or the container) on the top of a t enclosure...you will quickly know if that t is in a feeding mood. Arboreals are quickly on the lid very often.
owch :/
I never wanna get bit
Regina is 3 inches DLS and her fangs already look like this
View attachment 233213
Be careful @Moakmeister , that thing looks dangerous!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Just put a superworm or mealworm (or the container) on the top of a t enclosure...you will quickly know if that t is in a feeding mood. Arboreals are quickly on the lid very often.

Be careful @Moakmeister , that thing looks dangerous!

Oh yeah this was no question of if it was hungry, it's always hungry, so I tease them sometimes to watch them attack nothing for my own sick amusement.