What is the most Rare Tarantula in Captivity or available in the Hobby??

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leave if you don't like it. This is a good, civil debate.

I think that Goterps has at least one of these. A few others may also have this species.
I dont think this debate is civil anymore seeing that people are bashing other users for what they type in their "reasons for editing" section

jrmrbcax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Megaphobema peterklassi ... There are maybe 5 in the states. If anyone knows where i can find a male in the U.S., i'll pay you a nice finders fee.

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it should be celebrated that there are CB slings of this highly threatened species. I'd be curious to hear how you feel about P. metallica as they too are critically threatened, but everyone and their brother have them. How about species listed on CITES, as in all Brachypelma, do you boycott those too.

Without human intervention there will be species loss. PERIOD. Geesh
Feel free to celebrate, I'm just stating my own personal standpoint. Not trying to influence or persuade anyone that I'm right and they're wrong.

Sure, a few captive bred spiderlings are really going to save the species. What are they going to do, replant the tamarind groves in India that are being decimated?

An institutional/government based captive breeding effort based on specimens from their natural habitat and some sort of effort to preserve it (which is never going to happen, as spiders aren't as 'sexy' as big vertebrates), maybe. But the spider being available in the hobby is not going to make a blind bit of difference to the overall future of the species.

Species die out in the hobby and have to be re-introduced from the wild again (P.smithi for example), so hobby material is certainly not the be all and end all for preservation.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So who wants to buy one of my unidentified Aphonopelma dwafs for $500? Come on now,it is unidentified!(snickers)

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So who wants to buy one of my unidentified Aphonopelma dwafs for $500? Come on now,it is unidentified!(snickers)
Ooooo OOOOO me me, I have built an awesome custom enclosure using an extra tiger scull I have kicking around. It's going to look so sweet.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanx End - I did actually Know bout' that One

And I spoke w/ another hobbyist, that said he had a couple......Can't verify
authenticity though. They need 2 B raised a little. None that I may Buy :(

They are known, and will eventually be available: P. Langenbucheri

By-the-way.......GL "Jrmrbcax", I hope you breed them.

- Jason

Last edited:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of the species listed in this are not all that rare. I would have to say some of the less available Cyriocosmus sp. are rarer, as well as species like E. olivacea. Species such as M. balfouri were entirely rare, but due to captive breeding we have been seeing the prices go down considerably (thank goodness!).

Don't forget about all the Australian species that were imported. Some of these species are becoming increasingly rare, one can only hope there is enough around still and enough interest that someone is putting up the effort to continue breeding them! I need to get a few...

If you want rare, try finding an E. pachypus male!

:)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I could care less about having a T as a status symbol. I don't know any people that would actually think a smuggled/illegal/threatened species was cool.
Reminded me so much of "The Lizard King." It is about just that. I think one guy even had a threatened species of turtle and he was the only person to know he had them because he knew they were illegal. Yet for some reason, he still felt some sort of power or privilege keeping them. Kind of like how art thieves keep stolen art in secret for their own pleasure.

Bet our behavior would seem just as rediculous to tarantulas as some of us think some of their antics are. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know what became of this spider. Did it get a new name?

Psalmopoeus?

Last edited:

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why does every thread on Arachnoboards turn into an argument? I've been on other boards where the posters are actually civil to each other and stay on subject.
I second this. Drama drama drama. Cmon dudes.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thought of another. The rattlesnake tarantula. Has it even been given a Latin name yet? The latest news I seem to find of it is 2008 and that one YouTube user deleted his video of it.

CR33P3R

Arachnopeon
Iridopelma Seladonium!

I have been completely obsessed with finding and I. Seladonium. So beautiful. I heard breeding attempts in captivity by German breeders have been unsuccessful so far. If I ever get my hands on a male and a female, I do declare I shall be the first to breed them. I will stop at nothing! Haha

hyllusgiganteus

Arachnopeon
I would say the Phlogius crassipes from Australia. I've only seen jon3800 have one. I live in Australia, they are definitely not rare. However, they are rare in the hobby.

hyllusgiganteus

Arachnopeon
Feel free to celebrate, I'm just stating my own personal standpoint. Not trying to influence or persuade anyone that I'm right and they're wrong.

Sure, a few captive bred spiderlings are really going to save the species. What are they going to do, replant the tamarind groves in India that are being decimated?

An institutional/government based captive breeding effort based on specimens from their natural habitat and some sort of effort to preserve it (which is never going to happen, as spiders aren't as 'sexy' as big vertebrates), maybe. But the spider being available in the hobby is not going to make a blind bit of difference to the overall future of the species.

Species die out in the hobby and have to be re-introduced from the wild again (P.smithi for example), so hobby material is certainly not the be all and end all for preservation.
I understand your viewpoint, but I beg to differ. There are currently no breeding projects in India for this species, because us Indians don't give a damn about spiders(which is a shame)

Now if all P. metallica die off IN India because of Tamarind tree destruction, there will still be P. metallica's outside of India being bred by hobbyists. So these tarantulas being in the hobby will make a huge difference to this species' future. P. metallica's are far too popular and loved by hobbyists for them to 'die out' from the hobby. They will always continue to be bred.

For all I see, the number of P. metallica's in the hobby will experience an exponential growth, even if all P. metallica's in India are gone. And I can definitely say for sure that they will die out in India. The only reason why the Indian government started breeding projects for the Bengal tiger was because it is a symbol of Indian pride and a famous species. However, the Indian government doesn't give a crap about 'some spider,' that I can agree with you on.