What is the most rare T in the trade?

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica

Did their scientific name change? Also what breeders has these and how much are they?

John

apidaeman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica

Did their scientific name change? Also what breeders has these and how much are they?

John

Amen brother. Another pokie for the collection and to breed. The saving grace for many poecilotheria species over the coming decades might just be captive breeding efforts.

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What did the scientifc name change too? Also how much are ? Do they go for $180 or more?

John

Amen brother. Another pokie for the collection and to breed. The saving grace for many poecilotheria species over the coming decades might just be captive breeding efforts.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Need to update again (adding R. petersi, for example), but there's a couple of rare ones in here. I dont the prizes, though. Lol.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Reading through this reminds me of how expensive M. balfouri used to be. I'd call the breeding and distribution of these a hobby success story, as they can now be had for as little as $32. I never imagined I'd be able to easily afford them back in the day.

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
I feel like Davus sp. Panama is fairly available now, but species like Papmphobeteus Solaris are hard to come across and E. pachypus is now unfortunately extremely rare

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I know this is an old thread but here are my thoughts:
Rare is very subjective in this hobby. Anything could be rare in this hobby today or tomorrow. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, but this hobby does fluctuate all the time. Anything rare in this hobby is usually the species that's never bred often like H. chilense for example. But other than that, everything else in the future will most likely become a staple in this hobby. That's why prices for T.'s usually drop so fast within a year or two. Remember, tarantulas can and will lay more eggs than most reptiles, which is why tarantula species depreciate quickly in comparison to reptiles in the exotic pet trade. The number of gravid females can easily deflate value quickly for a species depending on how fast they grow from sling-to-adult and the number of slings per clutch.

Overall, I'd say in terms of the rarest species that has been in the hobby the longest and is still desolate, it would easily be the H. chilense. They have been around for ages, but they still only appear once in a long while. Too many people want them as pets and not as future breeders. Not to mention that they're a very long term investment to a lot of tarantula breeders. So it really is a risk in terms of financial investment. Everything else in this hobby that is "rare" is probably some species that is either new or either something poorly described (Pamphobeteus and most Asian species/locales *cough *cough) which will soon be no longer rare once people breed them out. An example is B. simoroxigorum in recent times. I truly feel bad for the people who invested in them just for them to be dead water. From $400, to $250, to $200, and now anywhere between $120-$150 per sling. All within 1 year and a true lost in profit for some vendors and breeders, especially the people on the smaller end of the operation. Just my 2 cents.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
the ones that I have sold @ shows that seem to be the most expensive, most requested and hardest to get, or keep in stock, A. mooreae, Davus sp. panama, and T. seladonia. There are definitely Ts that are probably more rare, but they are getting less requests, like Birupes simoroxigorum.
Someone earlier mentioned Chilobrachys and/or Cyriopagopus, we seem to always have a good assortment and very little interest.
Heck, for the thread dredge, show before last we had P. hanumavilasumica (Rameshwaram Ornamental) and they did indeed sell quick

Last edited:

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
the ones that I have sold @ shows that seem to be the most expensive, most requested and hardest to get, or keep in stock, A. mooreae, Davus sp. panama, and T. seladonia. There are definitely Ts that are probably more rare, but they are getting less requests, like Birupes simoroxigorum.
Someone earlier mentioned Chilobrachys and/or Cyriopagopus, we seem to always have a good assortment and very little interest.
Heck, for the thread dredge, show before last we had P. hanumavilasumica (Rameshwaram Ornamental) and they did indeed sell quick
Breaks my heart that chilobrachys are so undesirable to people. They're lovely spiders with great colors and personalities.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
See, I’ve been trying to find 3-5 P. hanumavilasumica for MONTHS with no success. Same for tigrinawesseli.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
I know this is an old thread but here are my thoughts:
Rare is very subjective in this hobby. Anything could be rare in this hobby today or tomorrow. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, but this hobby does fluctuate all the time. Anything rare in this hobby is usually the species that's never bred often like H. chilense for example. But other than that, everything else in the future will most likely become a staple in this hobby. That's why prices for T.'s usually drop so fast within a year or two. Remember, tarantulas can and will lay more eggs than most reptiles, which is why tarantula species depreciate quickly in comparison to reptiles in the exotic pet trade. The number of gravid females can easily deflate value quickly for a species depending on how fast they grow from sling-to-adult and the number of slings per clutch.

Overall, I'd say in terms of the rarest species that has been in the hobby the longest and is still desolate, it would easily be the H. chilense. They have been around for ages, but they still only appear once in a long while. Too many people want them as pets and not as future breeders. Not to mention that they're a very long term investment to a lot of tarantula breeders. So it really is a risk in terms of financial investment. Everything else in this hobby that is "rare" is probably some species that is either new or either something poorly described (Pamphobeteus and most Asian species/locales *cough *cough) which will soon be no longer rare once people breed them out. An example is B. simoroxigorum in recent times. I truly feel bad for the people who invested in them just for them to be dead water. From $400, to $250, to $200, and now anywhere between $120-$150 per sling. All within 1 year and a true lost in profit for some vendors and breeders, especially the people on the smaller end of the operation. Just my 2 cents.
I’m a sucker for Asian species. If there isn’t a lot of demand for a species and the species in question is available only in limited quantity, I’ll pick up 3-5 just to make sure I have a breeding group in hopes of future imports bringing in new breeding stock. Case in point? My Phan Cay Red lmao

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
See, I’ve been trying to find 3-5 P. hanumavilasumica for MONTHS with no success. Same for tigrinawesseli.
vittata are red hot right now as well. People offering large $s for them.

I will try to find out what stock will be for Pomona (Jan 7th weekend) if you are willing to travel. We have had both on and off over the last year.
Perhaps we may have one or both

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Has anyone mentioned Pamphobeteus sp solaris? Very hard to come by, always insanely expensive, price hasn't gone down for... well ever.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Has anyone mentioned Pamphobeteus sp solaris? Very hard to come by, always insanely expensive, price hasn't gone down for... well ever.
Yeah, my gf was looking at them over in the EU and they are 700eur for a 7” female lol