What is a species that you have no interest in keeping?

Timc

Arachnosquire
E. pachypus. I’ve only ever seen ONE of those personally in 15 years of keeping and I think I can guess why. They don’t grow very large, the grow slow I presume, are drably colored, and they’re fossorial. The epitome of boring.

If we’re talking more popular Ts I’m not so sure I’d take a P. muticus unless it was an already large yet barely mature female. I don’t like the idea of waiting until I’m a retiree to watch a sling grow lol. Same deal with Aphonopelma unless I can get a decent sized specimen.

I love both my LPs tho. The big one never hides and even the juvie doesn’t spend as much time hiding away since it’s last molt.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: E. pachypus is literally the only tarantula I would break my $50 rule for. I would empty my 401K to get my hands on a few slings, especially since they’re impossible to find these days. In my personal opinion they’re just cooler than cool with those pencil thick legs. P. muticus on the other hand, meh. Even with their thick back legs I’m not interested even though they’re generally a more impressive spider (you also don’t see them for sale as much as they used to be). Not sure why I prefer one to the other, but I do.

Where I completely agree with you is LPs are the bees knees. They get a lot of flak for not being this or that, but they’re food dumpsters, bold, hardy, bigger than your mom’s house and actually very pretty when you take the time to appreciate them. Also, check the price tag;) very neat spiders to keep.

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
To be honest, no Old World species at all. I'm not into handling any of my T's, but just the thought of being bitten by that genre is enough to keep me away. A bee sting I can handle, convulsions or worse? Nope, nope, nope. I'll happily continue to view them from afar.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
P. muticus on the other hand, meh. Even with their thick back legs I’m not interested even though they’re generally a more impressive spider (you also don’t see them for sale as much as they used to be). Not sure why I prefer one to the other, but I do.
My two muticus slings have proven to be some of my most entertaining spiders in my collection. Yes, they dig a lot, but my duo are always out at the tunnel entrance/s or right out in the open. Even when I spoke them by opening their enclosures they're quick to pop back up, even before I drop a feeder in. Maybe they'll get mote reclusive as they get bigger, but that hasn't been my experience with them so far.

For some reason I've had relatively good luck with seeing fossorials in action while also still having them build elaborate tunnels and such.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
My two muticus slings have proven to be some of my most entertaining spiders in my collection. Yes, they dig a lot, but my duo are always out at the tunnel entrance/s or right out in the open. Even when I spoke them by opening their enclosures they're quick to pop back up, even before I drop a feeder in. Maybe they'll get mote reclusive as they get bigger, but that hasn't been my experience with them so far.

For some reason I've had relatively good luck with seeing fossorials in action while also still having them build elaborate tunnels and such.
I think fossorials are cool 😎.. pet holes !
To be honest, no Old World species at all. I'm not into handling any of my T's, but just the thought of being bitten by that genre is enough to keep me away. A bee sting I can handle, convulsions or worse? Nope, nope, nope. I'll happily continue to view them from afar.
they’re not cobra 🐍 dangerous or anything just more high strung and bitey . I’ve had some id call docile and skittish.I’d never handle them except a few pokies on accident i don’t have any ow atm.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I want to raise every species at some point, but “for right now” I have zero interest in raising an H. maculata, S. calceatum, and T. seladonia (which is unbelievably overrated, this is one species that if I never keep one it’s no big deal).

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
I want to raise every species at some point, but “for right now” I have zero interest in raising an H. maculata, S. calceatum, and T. seladonia (which is unbelievably overrated, this is one species that if I never keep one it’s no big deal).
Thank you! Exactly, T seladonia is overrated to hell and back lol. They're a tiny T that you'll never see (it even rhymes) because they're trapdoor spiders. If you want a blue T that's bigger and more likely to be visible get a P sazimai a B albiceps or a GBB.

Speaking of blue tarantulas one more thing I have 0 interest in keeping is the Cobalt blue and any species comparable to it (fossorial, crazy, medically significant venom). They're just not meant to be pets. While it definitely isn't as crazy as the avg person keeping a hyena in their apartment, it's almost as bad an idea for most folks for different reasons. You're keeping an animal that if provided with decent husbandry will almost never be visible, and when it is visible it'll try to murder you whenever you try to do something as simple as changing or refilling their water dish. In case you do get tagged, you'll have to deal with medically significant venom. Don't get me wrong I certainly appreciate these animals but I feel like admiring them from a distance if you're ever lucky enough to see them in their natural habitat is a far better idea than keeping them as pets.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Speaking of blue tarantulas one more thing I have 0 interest in keeping is the Cobalt blue and any species comparable to it (fossorial, crazy, medically significant venom). They're just not meant to be pets. While it definitely isn't as crazy as the avg person keeping a hyena in their apartment, it's almost as bad an idea for most folks for different reasons. You're keeping an animal that if provided with decent husbandry will almost never be visible, and when it is visible it'll try to murder you whenever you try to do something as simple as changing or refilling their water dish. In case you do get tagged, you'll have to deal with medically significant venom. Don't get me wrong I certainly appreciate these animals but I feel like admiring them from a distance if you're ever lucky enough to see them in their natural habitat is a far better idea than keeping them as pets.
I'd say no tarantulas are 'pets' in the conventional sense, as they aren't ever to be petted. If you're going to argue that a spider has the cognitive ability to appreciate being held or harassed by its owner, then I guess it's a disagreement that we'll just have to live with because you'll never change my (and many other people's) mind. They're aquarium animals to be kept for observation and to be appreciated from outside the confines of their enclosures.

That being said, most fossorials I've owned are out fairly often.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
If you're going to argue that a spider has the cognitive ability to appreciate being held or harassed by its owner, then I guess it's a disagreement that we'll just have to live with because you'll never change my (and many other people's) mind.
😅😅😅 What??😅😅😅

When did I say anything even remotely close to this??

This isn't what you keep Ts for, and I already mentioned in other threads what the best pet Ts have in common (in my opinion): good display species, stay out and about, fairly hardy, eat well, no medically significant venom, not super defensive etc.

Almost none of the above applies to old world fossorials (like C lividus). It's not like you have to have a T with the personality of a cuddle bug parrot or C lividus and nothing in between.

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
I'd say no tarantulas are 'pets' in the conventional sense, as they aren't ever to be petted. If you're going to argue that a spider has the cognitive ability to appreciate being held or harassed by its owner, then I guess it's a disagreement that we'll just have to live with because you'll never change my (and many other people's) mind. They're aquarium animals to be kept for observation and to be appreciated from outside the confines of their enclosures.

That being said, most fossorials I've owned are out fairly often.
Couldn't agree more! I don't get the fascination of wanting to hold a T....it's just not a natural thing to do. Furthering the fish analogy, would you take a fish out of a tank to hold it or would you do the proper thing and admire their beauty through the glass of their enclosure? Taking them out of their natural habitat (water) could possibly kill it, same with T's, all of them. Just sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the magnificent view, it's the smart thing to do :spider::spider:

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Couldn't agree more! I don't get the fascination of wanting to hold a T....it's just not a natural thing to do. Furthering the fish analogy, would you take a fish out of a tank to hold it or would you do the proper thing and admire their beauty through the glass of their enclosure? Taking them out of their natural habitat (water) could possibly kill it, same with T's, all of them. Just sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the magnificent view, it's the smart thing to do :spider::spider:
While I am not opposed to handling, I don't necessarily want a T that I can hold, I just don't want something that's hiding most of the time and when it's out it wants to kill me for merely refilling the water dish. If you do get tagged it's medically significant venom you're dealing with. It's a fantasy to think that Ts are either 1000% passive things that you can handle or angry pet holes like a cobalt blue with nothing in between.. the majority of Ts are in between and they are far better suited to being kept as pets (imho) than a cobalt blue.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
😅😅😅 What??😅😅😅

This isn't what you keep Ts for, and I already mentioned in other threads what the best pet Ts have in common (in my opinion): good display species, stay out and about, fairly hardy, eat well, no medically significant venom, not super defensive etc.

Almost none of the above applies to old world fossorials (like C lividus). It's not like you have to have a T with the personality of a cuddle bug parrot or C lividus and nothing in between.
While I am not opposed to handling, I don't necessarily want a T that I can hold, I just don't want something that's hiding most of the time and when it's out it wants to kill me for merely refilling the water dish. If you do get tagged it's medically significant venom you're dealing with. It's a fantasy to think that Ts are either 1000% passive things that you can handle or angry pet holes like a cobalt blue with nothing in between.. the majority of Ts are in between and they are far better suited to being kept as pets (imho) than a cobalt blue.
Alright, fair enough. I was making quite the jump there in your possible line of arguing, I admit lol.

In any case, the things you value in a species are pretty far off from what I'm looking for so it's just a matter of opinion. I've kept a wide variety of spiders over the years and right now my collection primarily consists of nervous, fast, neurotic spiders that I hope to never get bitten by. And that's the way I want it.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
😅😅😅 What??😅😅😅

C lividus I’ve avoided but lack of urt hairs I’d definitely consider one . Despite their supposed ferociousness. Pet hole though ..

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
A fossorial is just an arboreal that makes its own tree out of dirt... C. lividus sits up there a lot.